Author Topic: 84 4Runner Buildup - Last minute summer mods  (Read 307744 times)

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
5/8/2012
I started working on my rear axle housing swap.  While I'm swapping housings, I'm going to build a traction bar to help with some of the axle wrap and wrapping the pinon up while in double low.

Started tearing down the 4Runner. I had to make some jackstand extensions since the 6 ton stands I have don't reach the frame high enough at full droop.

I trimmed the horse shoe collar above the driveshaft a couple years ago but once again, it's rubbing.  Guess it's time for more trimming.

Driveshaft rubs the side of the gas tank.  I already trimmed the skid plate but the DS still makes its way over there at full flex.  Time for some BFH action on the side of the tank.

Gas tank & skid are hammered.  Still holds gas so it's good.  I bet it's several gallons short now.

The junkyard replacement housing.  There's quite a bit to do to it before it can go under the 4Runner. 
    * Cut the stock perches off
    * Shave the drain plug
    * Cut diff armor off old housing and weld to replacement
    * Cut spring perches off old housing and weld to replacement
    * Cut shock mounts off old housing and weld to replacement
    * Replace diff studs with bolts that thread from the inside so they don't pull out of the diff

How the crossmember side of the traction bar is going to mount.  A traction bar needs to move back & forth and also rotate.  This heim shackle setup will do both.  This will connect to the upper traction bar.

The list.  This is the short list of stuff I'd like to get done this summer.  This poor 4Runner needs a ton of work but if I could get this done, I'd be happy for awhile.

The location of the heim shackle.  I will weld tabs on the sides of the bushing down to the crossmember.

Traction bar axle brackets fab'd from cardboard.  My finished brackets came out close to these mockups but I did make a couple changes.  I placed the lower bar low enough to protect the driveshaft.  Yeah, it's going to hang below the housing but it's a compromise to protect the driveshaft.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!