Author Topic: The Macheen rebuild  (Read 88588 times)

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: The Macheen rebuild
« Reply #60 on: Oct 08, 2015, 07:07:46 AM »
What's wrong with a few bends in it? The dodges come with them that way. You won't really have any issues with bump steer being full hydro and treeee linked
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 271
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Oct 08, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
True...but you do lose a little bit of strength.  i'm trying to over build it so that i don't have as much of a chance of breaking stuff.  lol
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Oct 13, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
Update:

I started to tackle the track bar.  First up was to build the frame side since i had a general idea how i wanted that to look/turn out.  Here is the first iteration in good ole cereal box cardboard.

When i started to look at it more closely, i noticed that it didn't come down low enough.  I wanted to keep the track  bar as flat as i could.  With having it so high, that would require me to either build the axle side bracket to be extremely tall or build the track bar at an angle. 

Here is the next iteration with a slightly lower frame side bracket.  Although, my concern with the bracket at this point was that unless i made a slight bend in the track bar, the bar will hit the steering ram when the suspension fully stuffs.

To better get a visual on how the steering setup will be  (plus the fact that i don't have the ram yet) as well as in an attempt to figure out what size stroke steering ram to run, i made this fancy tie rod. 

I marked it for center (going off of my steering ram template), then measure 4, 4.5, and 5 inches off of that to get an estimate of the ram stroke (for an 8, 9, and 10" stroke ram).

With the steering turned to each of those markings, i was able to drop a plumb bob on each side of the rotor (front and rear) to see what angles i had.  So, going off of this and knowing the factory steering angles, (30 degrees and 40 degrees...with the ackerman steering), this brought me to the conclusion that i could run a 10" stroke ram so get the max angle out of the steering.

It was at this point that the old stinger/front cage was beginning to be a real pain to work around.  So i cut it off...here you can see what it looks like currently plus the frame side track bar bracket in place, a very temp axle side track bar bracket tacked, as well as a mock up track bar.

You'll notice that the track bar isn't flat.  After playing with the numbers in the 3 link calculator and taking several measurements off of the truck; that building the track bar at this angle, can actually completely get rid of any roll over steer that the suspension had.

With the track bar tacked into place enough, it was time to start cycling the suspension.  *insert evil grin*

Passenger side at full stuff and driver side well beyond full droop (16" of droop actually).

Now for the opposite side...same configuration as before.

Everything looked like it cleared without any issues...for the most part.  Upon further inspection, i noticed that the upper link barely touched the frame rail.  Granted, this is with the mock up links...with the actual DOM in place, this will be a pretty big bind due to the larger diameter DOM/link material.  Luckily, this is with the suspension drooping 16" on the passenger side to get the link to touch...right now, i'm only planning on having 10" of droop.

This appears to be caused by the track bar and the axle swinging in that axis???  I wonder what can be done to keep this from occurring...longer track bar perhaps??

With the passenger side drooped 10", this is what it looked like at the frame rail.  There is definitely more clearance and i'm happy with the amount of room.

From the front at 10" droop.

Now, with seeing just how much droop the front end is capable of reaching; i will admit, its starting to make me want longer travel struts up front. 

Once i was happy with the first round of suspension cycling up front, i decided to start to build a proper axle side track bar mount.  The plan is to also tie the new bracket to the tubing around the steering ram mount to add more bracing/strength to the mount.

Top view

Front view

Another thing i was finally able to get to, was heating up the 1/4" plate on the frame side upper link mount and welded that to the frame.

« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2015, 01:16:44 PM by nwflyoda »
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #63 on: Oct 14, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »
 :biggthumpup:
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Oct 15, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »
this thing is gonna be a beast! that little 22re is gonna be having fun pushing it all :biggthumpup:
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #65 on: Oct 16, 2015, 08:04:18 AM »
If you look closely she's not a re. She's a rtp. Lol 22r turbo on propane. I drove it around the camp at a local offroad park when it was on 40s with 5.29s. 2nd gear high range rolling about 10 mph I stuck it and  when it got the boost up she was quite impressive.
06 tacoma street truck

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Oct 16, 2015, 01:17:52 PM »
this thing is gonna be a beast! that little 22re is gonna be having fun pushing it all :biggthumpup:

Thanks bud.  I don't think she'll have any issues.  It doesn't make big horsepressure but i'll have gearing for days! 

If you look closely she's not a re. She's a rtp. Lol 22r turbo on propane. I drove it around the camp at a local offroad park when it was on 40s with 5.29s. 2nd gear high range rolling about 10 mph I stuck it and  when it got the boost up she was quite impressive.

Now she has a clutch that actually should hold the powa. 
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Oct 19, 2015, 05:58:32 PM »
I wasn't too happy with the previous version of the track bar and mounts since it caused the front axle to swing quite a bit to the driver side during when the suspension was cycled to passenger full droop and driver full stuff.  This caused an issue with the upper link hitting the inside of the frame rail when the passenger side drooped 16".  But I think i have finally had success in getting the front suspension dialed in and eliminated that issue.  Here are the numbers inputted into the 3 link calculator for your viewing pleasure.

Here is what the track bar and mounts look like now at ride height.

Here is what it looks like at full stuff.  Here you can see why the track bar has a slight bend in it.  Will need to clear the hydro ram.  This may need even less of a bend once i have an actual ram to install and see exactly what clearances i have.

Front view with the driver side at full stuff (actually a little more than full stuff), and the passenger side at 16" of droop.

Here is what the passenger side looks like drooped out.  The track bar mounts will get added plate and tubing once its all said and done...no need to worry there.

Now with the longer track bar and new mounts, the upper link doesn't contact the frame any more.  :)

The lower link on the driver side still has plenty of clearance at the frame as well.

Granted, i still have more suspension cycling to go through to ensure everything is golden but i won't fully be able to do that until i'm able to get a few more parts...mainly the hydro ram.
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #68 on: Oct 20, 2015, 05:28:23 AM »
 Looking good cuz! Doesn't Jon have a forklift? All this work with the engine hoist reminds me of how I used to get junk done without a tractor. :thumbdown:
06 tacoma street truck

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Oct 20, 2015, 05:30:19 AM »
He does...but it doesn't run at the moment.  Plus, it doesn't have off road tires to be able to get out from his shop through his yard.  lol  Oh well.
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #70 on: Oct 20, 2015, 05:31:30 AM »
Well hell, there went thst easy idea for lifting lol
06 tacoma street truck

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Oct 20, 2015, 05:33:44 AM »
The engine hoist isn't that bad though.  Its still a lot better than how i did it last time...using floor jacks...
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #72 on: Oct 20, 2015, 05:42:28 AM »
Idk if you remember my buddy kyle or not, he had that pos mega teuck that stayed at my house for the last year. Anyhow, he's had some dude up in North alabama building a cj7 for him for the last year in secret. He hauled it over to the house yesterday. I was thinking "here we go, Kyle has turned into the mall crawler jeep owner..." I hear his 6.7 coming down the road and I walked out and about pissed on myself. This cat has built a cj7 tub on a full tube chassis 4 linked, Mohawked rocks, 16" big shocks, cut 44 boggers, a vortec 350, 4l60e, ford divorced 205, full cage and plated body... this rig is nasty! Now he wants me to squeeze some power our of it. I didn't get any pictures but I'm sure he put some on his Facebook page go look for him. It's quite impressive.
06 tacoma street truck

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Oct 20, 2015, 05:51:56 AM »
Nice!   Sounds like a pretty sweet rig!
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Oct 30, 2015, 07:06:08 AM »
Progress has been slow lately.  I've quickly come up to the point where i need to find the money tree.  haha
I have been tinkering with a few things and getting a good plan on some other items.  I've moved the rear axle into position and raised it as full stuff.  I couldn't really get a good picture...i have too small of a garage.  Lol  The wheel base is set at roughly 120”.

Here is a close up side shot of the rear axle.  I'm definitely going to have to modify the rear frame rails since the rear strut mounts are directly under the frame.  Not too big of a deal, it'll just be a bit more of a pain in the ass due to the stuff being in the way back there...specifically the bed floor.

Another view from the top of the tcase looking back at the drive line offset.  Moving the drive train over  helped out in many aspects of the build. 

I went ahead and set the front axle on the ground (16” of droop) to get an idea on my drive shaft angle.  With the axle drooping out so far, it only appears to move towards the driver side about 2”.  The engine being offset to the passenger side makes it appear that the axle is a lot farther to the side that what it is.

This is a rough estimate of the tcase output.  I replaced the flange after this picture with the one that will actually stay on the truck (toyota pattern) and the angle at the tcase was roughly 40 degrees.

Here you can see the pinion angle.  This is roughly 28 degrees.

The goal for all of this was trying to figure out what length of strut i can safely run up front.  Since my real only limitations are compression (only allowing for 4”) and the drive line angle, this gave me a good idea on what i can do.  I know tom woods makes a drive shaft that can handle 42 degrees so if i go with a 20” strut, that should be fine.  But i may just run an 18” strut instead and only allow 14” of droop so that the drive shaft angle isn't as close to the max angle.  As always, i'm certainly always up to hear folks thoughts and suggestions.
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Nov 01, 2015, 08:36:09 AM »
Update

i borrowed a buddies 44" tsl to mock up and get some sort of idea what clearance issues I'm gonna have.  Sadly, i am going to have some issues.  But i think its partially due to the mock up tire being 4" wider than the 43" tire that I'm going to run.

But despite the over width of the mog axle, i don't think the tire will stick out much further than it did when i had the yota axles.  That's partly because of the wheel spacers and wheel offset that i had. 

The first issue that I've seen is that at full stuff and turning the tires passenger, the sidewall of the tire touches the track bar mount at the frame. 

With the tire turned driver, the tire contacts the lower link.

All in all, i decided to run the hummer h1 wheels for the double bead locks plus the offset they have to keep the tires somewhat close to the body.  But, as i put a tire on and go through some of the motions...i may end up having to either recenter the wheel or run wheel spacers to keep the tire away from the suspension components.

Granted, this is all based on the fact that i don't have a steering ram nor the correct tire.  So before i make any changes, I'm gonna have to order a tire and the steering ram in order to be completely sure whats happening.
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Nov 01, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »
Fyi:  we can make you a 49 degree cv.   We sell a lot of 42 degree cv shafts and 49 degree cv shafts.  Every once in a while we have sold 80degree cv shafts. Lol. Every once in a while we sell shafts with cv's on both ends.  :rofl:

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Nov 01, 2015, 11:32:16 AM »
Fyi:  we can make you a 49 degree cv.   We sell a lot of 42 degree cv shafts and 49 degree cv shafts.  Every once in a while we have sold 80degree cv shafts. Lol. Every once in a while we sell shafts with cv's on both ends.  :rofl:

That is good to know.  but an 80 degree cv?  wow!!! haha
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Nov 01, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »
Yea the 80 degrees are interesting. Lol

There is a super old article from 2001, about the cv.  I thought i had some pictures on my phone I could have posted but It must have been on my last phone
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/80-degree-driveshaft-high-angle-driveline/

Edit:  im not saying this is what you need or want. I was just sharing an example of cv with even more angle.  You could always call jesse and tell him what you have going on and see what he recommends. 
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2015, 12:12:47 PM by Dingman. »

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Nov 09, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
Well, since the drag truck finally sold, i was able to order a few goodies for the truck.  A few other parts have been ordered but haven't showed up yet.  Those are the front hydro ram and one of the h1 wheel rebuild kits.

Some sexy ass rubber!  But only 1 tire.  I don't have the need or room for more than one at the moment.  I just need one right now for mocking things up and checking clearances.

For size comparison with the 44" tsl i was using for mockup.

The remaining 1 1/4" heims.  Now i have all of the heims for both the front and rear suspensions.

Here is my current debate.  Right now, the belly height is at 30" with allowing for 4" of bump compression.  The only thing keeping my from gaining more bump compression on the suspension and/or having a slightly lower belly height; is here in the below pic.  The tubing that the hydro ram is to be mounted to is a decent bit taller than the axle tube itself....about 3-4" actually.  Moving the motor back (as some have mentioned in the past) would resolve this issue.  By moving the motor back, i would be able to gain the 3-4" of either bump travel or lower belly height.

Here is another view from the driver side.

I am just unsure if doing this will really be worth it.  It appears that it would need to come back 4" from its current position.  While this will gain me the clearance to lower the truck and/or gain more up travel, this will require a lot of work to the firewall.  I have not been under the dash on the truck yet to really know what kind of ass pain i may be getting myself into either.  With that being said, the farthest forward piece of the firewall already needs to be cut off due to the motor being moved to its current position on the passenger side.  Also, if the motor was moved back, I'd be able to bring the track bar closer to being directly over the axle center line.  Another bonus to moving the motor back is that it will make both drive shafts about the same length.  So, if i hit the lotto, i could order a spare shaft and bring it along with me.  lol

84 Yota Pebble Pounder

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #80 on: Nov 10, 2015, 04:54:35 AM »
Nice parts, I'm digging the tsl, and I must say WTF!!! You sold the cummins!?!?!?!? I don't whether to say congratulations or my condolences lol 
06 tacoma street truck

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Nov 10, 2015, 04:58:29 AM »
hahaha!  The tire sure is nasty.  the front struts are on order as well but they won't be here for another 6 weeks or so.
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #82 on: Nov 10, 2015, 05:07:13 AM »
So am to start planning a shake down boggs run in a few months?
06 tacoma street truck

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Nov 10, 2015, 05:10:17 AM »
oh no!  even though things may appear to be moving along well...there is still quite a bit left to do before its even remotely ready.  I honestly will be surprised if its done by next summer.  But i'm hoping it will be sooner.
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #84 on: Nov 10, 2015, 05:25:40 AM »
Lies! All lies! I know how you and Jon work. You guys will pull a few all nighter and have the cab back on it in 2 weeks lol
06 tacoma street truck

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Nov 10, 2015, 05:27:19 AM »
lmao...i'll give you that! 
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #86 on: Nov 10, 2015, 06:12:56 AM »
If you get to a point where you have a pile of stuff and just need hands give me a call. I hate I didn't get the time to come visit last week when I was in Panama city. I need to get over and see you guys.
06 tacoma street truck

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Nov 10, 2015, 06:14:38 AM »
Will do bud!  yeah, if you get bored you aught to swing on by!
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Nov 20, 2015, 05:27:25 AM »
Update:

Progress has been pretty slow lately.  I decided to move the engine back to clear the axle.  The deciding factor for this was mainly the ability to move the trackbar back closer to the axle center line.  I then set the truck at its new belly height of 27".  The truck now also will have just over 5" of uptravel.  So, she'll have a 27" belly height with 43" tires and mog axles under an old Yota pickup.  :D  The only thing that i'm not completely happy with is now with the lower ride height, my front suspension will have 3degrees of roll under steer.  If i move the lower link mounts farther out from the center of the truck at the frame side, it will pull the roll under steer out but then i'll have clearance issues with the tire at fully lock hitting the link.  But i won't know that for certain until i start cycling the suspension in the next coming days.

But i had to start redoing some work in order to make this work.  The first order of business was to move the motor out of the way so that i could lower the truck.  For now, i just moved the motor back (way more than what it will be at when complete) but it gave me the room to work. 

I then started to rebuild the trackbar and brackets to shorten the axle side bracket from hanging so far forward of the axle center line.  This is what the new track bar looks like from the front.  You can also see the 10" stroke ram that came in as well...all tapped up at the moment.  I do know that i will have to have a bend in the passenger side of the trackbar to clear the new front frame section when the suspension stuffs.  I currently only have about 3" of clearance between the two.

I still need to finish cleaning up the old piece of tubing that went where the frame side trackbar bracket is now.  But for now, its out of the way enough from to mock things up.  Here is the frame side bracket.  Its tieing into the new frame section plus the factory frame section.

This is the new axle side bracket.  Now the trackbar is only 2 3/4" in front of the axle center line in comparison to the 6 3/4 that it was before.

I'm much happier with the new setup.  I still plan to fully box/plate the axle side bracket as well as the frame side bracket.  I'd rather add more strength then skimp out and have it break down the road.

Here is a top side view of the new trackbar.

I ended up ordering the PVC inserts from my H1 wheels.  It was a real pain in the ass to cut and grind the mag inserts that i have to ensure there was enough clearance to keep from cutting the tire.  Plus, i would have had to grind the sides down in order to fit the thickness of the SX beads.  So, PVC inserts were purchased.  lol  They arrived so i was able to mock up the sexy ass tire i have here in the garage!  I cannot wait to see this thing when its all said and done!

Also recently delivered, was the NWFab Dana 300 twin cable flip kit that i ordered.  I'm really please with the setup.  Don't mind the treats in the picture...gotta have snacks for the little :pokinit: eater.  lol

I also ordered my front ORI struts (16" travel in orange with the small reservoir) as well as the dual fill kit since i'll need that.  So far, the dual fill kit showed up yesterday afternoon and the struts are estimated to show up after thanksgiving.  I was too excited to get to work on the trackbar so i failed to take a picture of the dual fill kit though.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2015, 05:33:32 AM by nwflyoda »
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

nwflyoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »
Update:

After some time cutting/notching the lower frame rails to allow the additional uptravel, i've now been able to get the suspension at full stuff of 6" compression. 

It looks rough at the moment, but once i flip the frame upside down, i'll go back and add some tubing to allow the links to raise up into on the frame plus i'll add plate to fully patch the frame.

Here she is!  tah dahhh...   lol  sad i know.  But, right now, the front hubs are at 26 3/4" off of the ground and the frame is 28" off the ground.  Small victories i suppose.

In between working on the suspension, i went ahead and added the windshield braces for the cage.  Nothing special, just something that i've been needing/wanting to do for a while now.

Since i am running 3/4" heims for the steering, i had to modify the BTF high steer arms to accommodate them.  I cut the top tab for the bolt then added and ran the new plate down along the arm to prevent any sheering at the weld.

Now for the motor mounts.  Here is the driver side.  I had to bend the tubing to allow the upper link to clear the mount.

The passenger side was more of a pain since its to tight over there.

84 Yota Pebble Pounder