Author Topic: Washington Wet Wheelers  (Read 84127 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Wet Wheelers
« Reply #90 on: Jun 24, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »
Yes plan is to camp on the west side. Don't' see us moving the base camp.

Isn't the majority of the wheeling on the East side?  Are you planning to run the nice dirt road over and back other than the official Naches Pass trip?  I think I have done that way against going via the pavement and it was pretty much the same for time traveled, but my memory is very fuzzy.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Jun 24, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »
Isn't the majority of the wheeling on the East side?  Are you planning to run the nice dirt road over and back other than the official Naches Pass trip?  I think I have done that way against going via the pavement and it was pretty much the same for time traveled, but my memory is very fuzzy.

All the camping is off of FS 19 on the west side. It is not a very far trip to get the east side wheeling. Trust me bud I won't lead you astray :)

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #92 on: Jun 24, 2015, 08:31:31 PM »
Trying , maybe, I mean like way out there...  But there's a slight chance I might be able to join you guys on the 26th if you are OK with some crazies from MT.  We may be going to the coast to bug out and surf and we have a wedding in the family down in OR we want to get to so if it all comes together...   :driving:

I might need a GPS waypoint and some pretty decent directions from the logical route headed out of Spokane area on I90.
That's awesome man! Would it be the whole family or just you? Would you be bringing the 4Runner on her maiden voyage? It would be great to meet you. I hope it works out.

How bout you Toyodaaddict? Are you coming? This is your back yard. Did you get that motor installed and purring?

I need to get my winch fixed?
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 229
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Conquering the toughest malls.
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #93 on: Jun 24, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »
Looks like fun but but I'll be busy then

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Jun 25, 2015, 06:58:19 AM »
All the camping is off of FS 19 on the west side. It is not a very far trip to get the east side wheeling. Trust me bud I won't lead you astray :)

I'm not worried about it, just trying to formulate a plan on my end.  The most likely scenario is a long daytrip for me so I'd just need to arrive at camp in the morning and then plan to drive home from the East side at the end of the day.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #95 on: Jun 25, 2015, 07:55:53 AM »
So your all wheeling Naches on my Birthday? Nice.
Have a beverage for me...
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Jun 25, 2015, 08:25:47 AM »
I'm not worried about it, just trying to formulate a plan on my end.  The most likely scenario is a long daytrip for me so I'd just need to arrive at camp in the morning and then plan to drive home from the East side at the end of the day.

Or we could do the wagon trail on the day that you come so that you can leave from west side.

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Jun 25, 2015, 08:43:01 AM »

How bout you Toyodaaddict? Are you coming? This is your back yard. Did you get that motor installed and purring?

Yep, I plan to make an appearance   :driving: As for the motor, I got the old one pulled, found a 1/2'' crack on the inside corner of my frame and then things snowballed :willynilly:.  I should be dropping the new engine in this weekend.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Jun 25, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
That's awesome man! Would it be the whole family or just you? Would you be bringing the 4Runner on her maiden voyage? It would be great to meet you. I hope it works out.

I need to get my winch fixed?

If I make it it will be the whole family.  Always wanted to wheel there so I thought I would try. You seem like a decent buch of guys to wheel with.  Hope to get a few hundred miles on before a road trip.  We'll see how much time I get to work on things.  So close to being finished but this time of year really has a way of crowding out the personal time for some reason.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Jun 25, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »
If I make it it will be the whole family.  Always wanted to wheel there so I thought I would try. You seem like a decent buch of guys to wheel with.  Hope to get a few hundred miles on before a road trip.  We'll see how much time I get to work on things.  So close to being finished but this time of year really has a way of crowding out the personal time for some reason.

Let me know when you know for sure so I know whether or not to save a camping spot.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Jun 25, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
Or we could do the wagon trail on the day that you come so that you can leave from west side.

<http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Naches-Trail-Map.pdf>

When you refer to the wagon trail are you talking about the actual Naches Trail (pass) shown on the PDF linked above?  If so, I've run it going both directions in the past and don't have any specific preference for it over any other trails in the area.  The only advantage of running it the day that I'm there is that I know that it's a doable, but long, day trip.  There a lot of easy bypasses allowing for a quick exit.

When I've wheeled in this area we have generally stayed at the Crow Creek Campground and wheeled either Naches Pass or headed up to Moon Rocks and Funny Rocks.  The guy that was always the trail boss always insisted on running the full Naches Pass trail and I remember being annoyed on a few sections on the East side where I had to back and fill my way through the tight trees while I could see the main road out my window.  There was nothing beyond wrestling the steering wheel that was a challenge so I never understood why he didn't just bypass those lower sections!  Overall, I have enjoyed the trail and always have a great day when I go.

As a general rule, I'm the kind of guy that hates walking on roads that I can drive on and also hates taking the tight bumpy non-challenging route when there's a perfectly good road that goes the same place. 

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Jun 25, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
<http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Naches-Trail-Map.pdf>

When you refer to the wagon trail are you talking about the actual Naches Trail (pass) shown on the PDF linked above?  If so, I've run it going both directions in the past and don't have any specific preference for it over any other trails in the area.  The only advantage of running it the day that I'm there is that I know that it's a doable, but long, day trip.  There a lot of easy bypasses allowing for a quick exit.

When I've wheeled in this area we have generally stayed at the Crow Creek Campground and wheeled either Naches Pass or headed up to Moon Rocks and Funny Rocks.  The guy that was always the trail boss always insisted on running the full Naches Pass trail and I remember being annoyed on a few sections on the East side where I had to back and fill my way through the tight trees while I could see the main road out my window.  There was nothing beyond wrestling the steering wheel that was a challenge so I never understood why he didn't just bypass those lower sections!  Overall, I have enjoyed the trail and always have a great day when I go.

As a general rule, I'm the kind of guy that hates walking on roads that I can drive on and also hates taking the tight bumpy non-challenging route when there's a perfectly good road that goes the same place.

Yes it is known as the wagon trail. Well I'm just gonna let you know right now that I don't just take us to the most technical areas via the fastest route. Myself and most of the wheelers in the club are in it for the scenery as much as we are for being challenged. I enjoy driving easy and moderate trails if they provide a beautiful landscape to take in. If that is going to upset you than maybe going out with us is not the best idea.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Jun 25, 2015, 01:57:08 PM »
Let me know when you know for sure so I know whether or not to save a camping spot.

I will let you know as soon as I know thanks!

My wife was concerned about wheeling a nasty trail on day 2 of a 9 day road trip.  Last time we did something similar we spent a bit of time at parts stores working gremlins out of a new setup so she has a valid point.  I didn't actually break, but we were messing with things.

But looking into the trail it seems like it can be as nasty as you want and probably more scenic than birf shattering technical.  Looks just perfect as far as fitting into the itinerary.  Best part is our route would bypass Portland and shoot over to the coast highway afterwords. We'll see if I finally get the 4runner on the road and if the days off can be had...
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2015, 02:50:08 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Jun 25, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
I will let you know as soon as I know thanks!

My wife was concerned about wheeling a nasty trail on day 2 of a 9 day road trip.  Last time we did something similar we spent a bit of time at parts stores working gremlins out of a new setup so she has a valid point.  I didn't actually break, but we were messing with things.

But looking into the trail it seems like it can be as nasty as you want and probably more scenic than birf shattering technical.  Looks just perfect as far as fitting into the itinerary.  Best part is our route would bypass Portland and shoot over to the coast highway afterwords. We'll see if I finally get the 4runner on the road and if the days off can be had...

The only hard part of the wagon trail is lower naches. Even it would be incredibly easy for your truck. I did it last year open open with 33s....

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Jun 25, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »
Looks like fun to me!
– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Jun 25, 2015, 05:57:40 PM »
Yes it is known as the wagon trail. Well I'm just gonna let you know right now that I don't just take us to the most technical areas via the fastest route. Myself and most of the wheelers in the club are in it for the scenery as much as we are for being challenged. I enjoy driving easy and moderate trails if they provide a beautiful landscape to take in. If that is going to upset you than maybe going out with us is not the best idea.

It will be fun for sure and I don't need technical to have fun, I just don't really enjoy a short section or two on the lower East side (in years past) because it was just an exercise in turning my steering wheel and backing up to work around the trees.  I am looking forward to the trip and started advertising for a co-pilot among my friends.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Jun 25, 2015, 06:01:04 PM »
It will be fun for sure and I don't need technical to have fun, I just don't really enjoy a short section or two on the lower East side (in years past) because it was just an exercise in turning my steering wheel and backing up to work around the trees.  I am looking forward to the trip and started advertising for a co-pilot among my friends.

Glad to hear it.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:13:52 AM »
OK so I got the days off and I can travel on the 25th and try to hook up with you guys at camp that evening to wheel with you on the 26th, then we will head on over to the coast on the 27th. I figure with some kind of directions or a waypoint we can just look for some guys wrenching under their 4runners and that will be you guys.

Pending nothing spins out on the 4runner between now and then we should be good!

Does that work with your schedule?
– Steve McQueen

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
OK so I got the days off and I can travel on the 25th and try to hook up with you guys at camp that evening to wheel with you on the 26th, then we will head on over to the coast on the 27th. I figure with some kind of directions or a waypoint we can just look for some guys wrenching under their 4runners and that will be you guys.

Pending nothing spins out on the 4runner between now and then we should be good!

Does that work with your schedule?

:-\ The 26th will be break down camp and head home day, brother. We could run the wagon trail that day because it shoots us out onto 410 (the way home). We would just wheel it loaded up. I wish you could make it on the night of the 24th instead so you can be there for the 25th. That is going to be the best day for sure. The most guys will be there and we will be doing the Manastash side which is a lot more trails and a lot more fun.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »
Well if I take off at lunch time on the 24th I could get there that night.  Maybe 10 hours so like 9:00 coastal time.
– Steve McQueen

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:40:55 AM »
Well if I take off at lunch time on the 24th I could get there that night.  Maybe 10 hours so like 9:00 coastal time.

Sounds like a plan  :thumbs:

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
So how many red 4runners will be on this ride?
– Steve McQueen

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
So how many red 4runners will be on this ride?

Is yours red? If so then 2. RRR!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:54:10 AM »
I'm afraid so.  I have tube fenders up front though.  How about I get some fresh MTRs wouldn't that be lame?
– Steve McQueen

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Jul 09, 2015, 09:56:02 AM »
I'm afraid so.  I have tube fenders up front though.  How about I get some fresh MTRs wouldn't that be lame?

lol lame because we would be so matchy?

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Jul 09, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »
  :-\ The 26th will be break down camp and head home day, brother. We could run the wagon trail that day because it shoots us out onto 410 (the way home). We would just wheel it loaded up. I wish you could make it on the night of the 24th instead so you can be there for the 25th. That is going to be the best day for sure. The most guys will be there and we will be doing the Manastash side which is a lot more trails and a lot more fun.

What time do you think you'll be wanting to roll out of camp for wheeling?  I know I'll have an early out from the peninsula, but am hunting for an initial target timeline.  I know that most groups end up leaving later than planned, but I rarely am the holdup and don't plan to be on this trip.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Jul 09, 2015, 12:01:46 PM »
What time do you think you'll be wanting to roll out of camp for wheeling?  I know I'll have an early out from the peninsula, but am hunting for an initial target timeline.  I know that most groups end up leaving later than planned, but I rarely am the holdup and don't plan to be on this trip.

That depends on how many beverages I had the night before.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Jul 09, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »
That depends on how many beverages I had the night before.

You're lucky that my horn doesn't work because I enjoy making noise when I'm around post-injected people!  How about what's the earliest you would plan to leave and I'll see if I can make that work.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Jul 09, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »
You're lucky that my horn doesn't work because I enjoy making noise when I'm around post-injected people!  How about what's the earliest you would plan to leave and I'll see if I can make that work.

What day are we talking here? I usually shoot to be on the trails by 9 to 10 AM.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Jul 09, 2015, 12:11:20 PM »
What day are we talking here? I usually shoot to be on the trails by 9 to 10 AM.

Saturday the 25th.  9 am is easy for me.  I've made it to Crow Creek Campground on the east side earlier than that before.