Author Topic: Washington Wet Wheelers  (Read 83508 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Wet Wheelers
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »
I still have too much do. It'll be a while.

Thats okay buddy we will have all the fun without you :therethere:

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:59:25 AM »
I hope so!
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
Reiter run pushed back another week due to having to do my clutch this weekend instead.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:39:46 AM »
A tour of the new G11 trail at Reiter. Huge props to the volunteers who put this together. It is very challenging and fun. Even more so if you take the buggy line. While taking the "easier" line my winch got a workout!

The day was cut short when HeliPilot's alternator went out, followed shortly after by both his batteries. Had to tow him with a pull strap to Prismo's where we tried to charge the batteries for a couple of hours only to find out that they were cooked. Good news is he made it home after having to spring for 2 new batteries. Big thanks to Prismo for being such a cool guy. Sorry we had to meet for the first time under those circumstances buddy. Lets go wheeling next time instead!

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »
Looks like a sick day bro. Until the end. ;) but glad ya'll made it safe.
Toyota + rv camper; you'll never need another car, you'll never need another home. = perfect

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »
Looks like a sweet trail too. Fresh mud. ;)
Toyota + rv camper; you'll never need another car, you'll never need another home. = perfect

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:21:55 PM »
shoulda took the buggy line :greengrin:

thats cool how they make those trails up there! must be fun moving all those rocks around
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:27:52 PM »
Nice! Looks like they've been busy up there. Also looks like its finally worth the two hour drive to check out the new Reiter for my self.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:02:18 PM »
Where exactly are those trails?  i visit my in laws up in the salem area.  how far from there?
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #39 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »
I grew up in Salem. The trails are nowhere near there. They are about 1.5 hours north of Seattle.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:32:36 AM »
Oh ya thats like 6-7 hrs farther north.  All I saw was "washington" and I was hoping it was closer to the border.  Wish we had some trails like that around here.  It takes 5hrs to get to decent wheeling here. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Mar 23, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »
Oh ya thats like 6-7 hrs farther north.  All I saw was "washington" and I was hoping it was closer to the border.  Wish we had some trails like that around here.  It takes 5hrs to get to decent wheeling here.

We will be having 4-5 day trip to Tilamook forest over Memorial Day weekend. Would love to have you come.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2015, 11:05:03 PM »
Memorial Weekend Tillamook Run

Date: 05/22/2015
Info: 1. If you are coming on this run you must phone this number and order your permit to be legal: 1-800-551-6949 Tell them it is for a 4x4 vehicle (Class II) and that you are from Washington state. Sooner rather than later as they will be mailing it to you.
2. Area map: http://www.oregon.gov/odf/tillamookstateforest/docs/OHV_Maps/OHV%20Guide%202014.pdf

We are making our first foray into Oregon over memorial day weekend. We will be camping at Brown's Camp starting on the 22nd and staying until the 25th. We will be convoying from Seattle on the morning of the 22nd. Get in touch with me if you would like to join in on the fun.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:12:35 PM by SqWADoosh »

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2015, 11:29:56 AM »
So we have all been able to get the 21st off as well so we are heading down a day earlier than initially planned. We will be convoying out of Seattle at noon. Should put us there in plenty of time to setup camp and have a full 3 days of wheeling with us heading out in the morning on memorial day. Hopefully this will allow us to skip most of the memorial day return traffic. I'm stoked  :driving:

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2015, 01:05:52 PM »
Take plenty of pics!
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2015, 01:12:38 PM »
Take plenty of pics!

Will do. The girlfriend is coming along and she is always the designated photographer.

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »
Hec ya bro. Go have some fun!! :wave:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2015, 09:55:21 PM »

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2015, 07:00:25 PM »
Off to Tillamook in the morning.  :driving: Looking forward to wheeling somewhere new!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2015, 07:28:07 PM »
It's gonna be great! I need to head home and finish packing.
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2015, 07:38:04 PM »
It's gonna be great! I need to head home and finish packing.

I just finished making the burgers and putting them in containers with wax paper. Thinking about making those tomorrow instead of the original plan of Saturday. Don't want to risk those in the cooler for longer than I have to.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2015, 08:52:41 PM »
Freeze them I freeze just about everything in the cooler
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2015, 11:10:23 PM »
Tillamook trip went well with the exception of HeliPilot's motor mounts going out on him on the first day. More on that later, but in the meantime I've started uploading the myriad of footage from the trip.

More to come, but its getting late so I'm headed to bed.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »
Your camera must max out at 17:44.

I watched several of the videos, is that what most of the trails around there look like?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2015, 09:47:43 AM »
Your camera must max out at 17:44.

I watched several of the videos, is that what most of the trails around there look like?

The POV was shot with borrowed Go Pro cameras. They shoot in 1080p with super wide lens. The non POV shots were shot with my Samsung Galaxy S6 in 1440p. I've got more to come today.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »
 :thumbs:
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
Our Tillamook trip started with a 4 hour drive down from Seattle to Tillamook State Forest on Thursday. Our plan for this trip was to camp in the famous Browns Camp Campground. As we pulled into the campground I was greeted by a camp host at the entrance who informed me that a Jeep 4x4 club had come in the day before and took over the entire campground. He was on his way to put up the "Campground Full" sign when he stopped to talk to me. So a little frustrated  :tantrum: after having taken an extra day off of work to avoid this very scenario I pulled out the map and looked for a plan B. I decided to head back to highway 6 and check every campground on our way West until we found a spot. As we pulled into the next camp up the highway my worries left me as we found a beautiful location nestled next to a gorgeous creek. The campground was completely open and we had our pick of the litter when it came to our camp spot. So we picked out the best 2 sites and set about putting up our tents.

Unfortunately it started to rain just as the tent poles were going up. We quickened our pace and got the tents up before we were completely soaked. Luckily I had thought to ask Nate to bring his canopy so that we had somewhere to seek shelter from the downpour.  As the rain became more and more intense I was starting to wonder if our entire weekend would be like this. We got another bit of luck however and with the exception of a few small showers the rest of the weekend was dry. It did make the trails more interesting as the trails while not soupy were wet and made them a little more challenging. Our first day of wheeling started with us airing down just outside of Lyda camp which we deemed Toyota camp as we saw quite the selection of cool Yotas. With everyone aired down we headed to our first trail Hoodraiser. It was a nice shake down trail that offered some cool views and indoctrinated us into the beautiful green that the trails at Tillamook had to offer. From there we went on to Hogs Back which featured some very tight switch backs which caused our 80 series in the group some hair raising moments. The mist in the forest made the trail look like something out of a horror movie and we all were really digging the atmosphere. Next up we started the Archers Firebreak trail system. This is a group of trails ranging from Moderate to Double Black Diamond difficulty with everything in between. After the first Black Diamond Climb Nate (HeliPilot) reached out to me on the CB to let me know that he had lost a motor mount. This is where his trouble began.

We pushed on conquering Rock Garden, Rocky uphill and the majority of the Archers trails. Skipping a few that all 3 of us wouldn't be able to make it up. The Archers trails all feature some incredible hill climbs that are an absolute blast to conquer. On one of the last hill climbs of the day Nate's second motor mount went out. He was pulling tail gunner and said something to that effect to me on the CB as I was in the middle of a hill climb. I didn't catch it and told him to hold on one second as I was in the middle of the climb. Well as I got to the top of the longest hill climb of the day and tried to raise him on the CB I could see he was trying to respond but I had climbed so high in elevation that his transmission wasn't reaching my antenna. Other Andrew came up behind me in his 80 series and we waited for a few minutes for Nate to come up. As the minutes went by we became more and more concerned. Finally we decided to walk down the trail and see if he had gotten stuck. Boy was that a mistake. The hill must have been easily 300 yards long and upon reaching the bottom Nate was nowhere to be found. We then had the pleasure of climbing back up the hill to reach our trucks. I haven't been that gassed in a long time  :puke4: and it reminded me how badly I need to get back in shape.

We drove back down the hill and at the bottom I once again attempted to raise Nate on the CB. He came back immediately loud and clear and it was obvious to me then that the hill had been blocking the signal. He let me know that his second motor mount had gone out and that he was unable to get out of low low range that he had been in when it happened. After being unable to reach me on the CB he had started down the mountain on the forest service road. We raced down it ourselves to catch up with him and assess the situation. Once we caught up with him we all put our heads together on a solution to get his truck out of low low but after about half an hour we decided it just wasn't going to happen and that we had to drop his transfer-case to fix the problem. We hooked up the tow strap and towed him further down the road and found a flat spot to attempt the trail fix.

We used my spare tire as a base for my stock Toyota bottle jack to lower the transfer-cases to where Nate could see his triple stick and asses the damage. He attempted to fix it with the transfer-cases only 1/4 of the way down to no avail. We ended up dropping them further so that he could pull out his triple stick and look at the linkage to see what the problem was. He found that the linkage had been bent when the motor mounts went out causing the shifters to be shoved against the sheet metal of the transmission tunnel. This caused the shifters to no longer operate which explained his being stuck in low low. He pulled out the entire triple stick and set to pounding them back in line on a stump that the local forestry business had left for us. We then put it all back together (an absolute nightmare when the cases are still in the truck) and raised the cases back into position and re-attached his cross member. Sounds simple enough but it took us 5 hours and a lot of sore joints the next day. After all this he was able to get back into high range again but was still unable to shift into 2nd or 4th gear (the drivetrain shifting backwards caused the shifters to hit the sheet metal of the tunnel before they could go far enough back to engage). So we drove back to camp and Nate decided to head out to his folks place to use his dad's machine shop to replace the motor mounts. We were bummed to see him go but were thankful that he had a shop so close by for him to use to fix the problem. 

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »
Nice description Andrew. Thanks for taking those pictures. I did make it to my parents without any trouble. I ordered a pair of motor mounts from Napa the next day and after a full day working on them we made a copy of the factory toyota motor mount buckets that were missing on my installation and got them installed. I had to install them twice which was a total pain because there is barely enough room to get them into position. After getting them into position I noticed that the bolt holes were not lined up. Napa parts aren't what they used to be. I had to pull them back out and grind a 1/8" on each of the bolt holes. Once I did that they went right in. Sucks that I missed out but at least I have permanently solved my motor mount problem.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2015, 03:56:30 PM »
Nice description Andrew. Thanks for taking those pictures. I did make it to my parents without any trouble. I ordered a pair of motor mounts from Napa the next day and after a full day working on them we made a copy of the factory toyota motor mount buckets that were missing on my installation and got them installed. I had to install them twice which was a total pain because there is barely enough room to get them into position. After getting them into position I noticed that the bolt holes were not lined up. Napa parts aren't what they used to be. I had to pull them back out and grind a 1/8" on each of the bolt holes. Once I did that they went right in. Sucks that I missed out but at least I have permanently solved my motor mount problem.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I still hold the belief that you need a new cross-member or they will blow out again though.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
TSF is one of my favorite places of all time...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K