Author Topic: 1979 Toyota Pickup Rock Crawler Build Thread/Lots of Pictures/Slow Budget Build  (Read 61853 times)

Jason E.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 317
  • Male Posts: 136
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Yeah yeah, I know I know. License and Registration
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Hello Everyone!

Im Jason, The new kid round here :smokin:

So instead of running around everywhere asking questions and looking dumb I figures to start my build thread for this truck sense I have been consistantly working on it in my shop sense the day I bought it  :psss:("Last week")

I have a 1979 Toyota Hilux 4x4. In witch I thought was stick but upon futher looking after bringing the truck home I realized I scored a very good deal. So I paid $800 for it from my friends nabor who had it sitting in his back yard for about a year or so ( guy before him rolled it onto the bed and let it sit for another year before that, So 2 years total ). I also have a set of 36's I got with it.

I got it home and this is what I had...

I was board wanted to test out the 4x4...

Alright so this is what I know now..

It has a 3rd gen Pick up bed on it. Witch I dont mind for now but I want a Hilux bed ( I like old school, Plus sense im going to exo it with a perfect body later in its life ). ANYONE please put the input in on the bed I dont know what I'm gonna do. but as of now its for sale so anyone needing the bed let me know... PM me for a phone number

Also I have a swapped transmission but idk what it is!!!! SOMEONE HELP!!!

Okay so I have it narrowed down to a G52 Transmission and I think im right but I wanna know for sure. Here are a bunch of random transmission shots. ( Its hydrolic btw )

Someone correct me. The cable coming out of my transfer case, Speedometer? Because my speedo does not work...

Also while im asking questions, I have a random vacuum line missing? Where does it go and is it a issue ? Truck runs great I just randomly noticed it lol

Also it has a 3in body lift witch I find stupid unless I have a set of like 38's with 1 ton axles.  :psss: (' Thats for next years moon rocks trip hopefully"). So ether Im going to drop it down to a 1in body lift or I am going to leave it how it is. I think ill figure that out once I get it redone enough to be my daily driver.

It has 63'' Chevy Leaf springs in the rear with relocated perch's. Here is a picture...

These are the shackles that came with the truck also ( This setup should last for a little while until I ether axle swap or build my exo )

The truck was disgusting interior wise. Ive done a lot of cleaning. It had ( No bull crap ) motel 6 carpet as a carpet kit. It was the first to go. Then guess what lies under the carpet, as I didn't expect it anyways. Rust  :shake:

And more

And dont worry there is more, Just didn't wanna throw the phone in rampage haha

So I started cutting most of it out so I could make new patch panels

Im going to bed liner the whole inside of my truck for sound protection so I decided Id make a REMOVABLE plate ( to access shift bushing and other goodies easier ) to cover the :pokinit: job someone did on cutting some room for the shifter after the body lift was added. Im going to bedliner this piece and the whole interior separate so its not stuck down haha

Before any work...

This is the piece of sheet medal I cut out to clean it up in here...

After Installed and formed to the curving of the tranny tunnel. Im in Reverse and 4high.

For today thats how far I got with this interior.

I also pulled the horrid aftermarket bumper off that someone redneck installed... Its f'ed up bad...

This is after I pulled it off...

Someone cut the damn bumper into 2 sections and welded a quarter inch thick peice of 90 deg. bent medal. Im leaving it for a winch I guess, plus I might see if I can build a front bumper with these to pieces of original bumper kind of incorporated within you know? Probably not just an idea though.

Also I have a 3rd Gen pickup front axle housing. I scored on that. ( Its just a thicker housing isnt it ? Nothing else... )

Ive got long tube headers ( 4-2-1 ) that I cant identify, Any idea? If anyone knows please let me know if there smog legal. There is no stamp so Im sure I have to change em while I smog the truck unless I find a stamp i can weld on...

Well that is it for today Fokes! I got the truck all tucked into the shop and ready for bed till next time I start surgery again haha. Ill see ya soon and have way more pictures haha. Please let know any info if anyone has any, Plus criticism also because this is my first crawler project so id like to avoid problems not make any haha. Night Yall' 
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2013, 11:08:30 PM by Jason E. »
- 1989 Toyota 4runner ( 22re, Dana 44, Sterling 10.25, 4.10, Family Rig in Progress) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98687.msg1099361#msg1099361

- 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser (E-locker, Old Man Emu Lift, 33's, and Armor)

- 1996 Ford F250 7.3L powerstroke (Flat Bed, Manual, 2wd on 33,s)

- (SOLD) 1979 Toyota 1st Gen pickup 22re swap(http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=94183.0)

Dippin' , Spittin' , Truck Gittin' , God lovin' son of a Motha Fucka.

When In Doubt, Throttle Out. Because in the End, Its a Yoda Thang     - Brandon Jako

R.I.P. Brandon Jako! Ill see you on the flip side!

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
looks like a fun project! :thumbs:

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
yeah, do rust proofing, paint  the frame!

yes its  a  g52

:welcome:

egesledder

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '12
  • Driving
    • View Profile
'85 Xtra Cab w/7mgte, 3-link, etc

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I spy a MKII supra

Yes sir I own two at the moment. Also The silver one you see is for sale, Interested ? lol

yeah, do rust proofing, paint  the frame!

yes its  a  g52

:welcome:

Thank you for the transmission help. I think im gonna clean up those horrid welds and paint the frame. Should I just use any paint to just seal it or should I use rust eliminator from duplicolor ? I just dont wanna snap my frame at the wrong time. I might cut this stuff out soon and build all new perch's and frame sections cuz its scary.....  :headscratch:
- 1989 Toyota 4runner ( 22re, Dana 44, Sterling 10.25, 4.10, Family Rig in Progress) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98687.msg1099361#msg1099361

- (SOLD) 1979 Toyota 1st Gen pickup 22re swap(http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=94183.0)

When In Doubt, Throttle Out. Because in the End, Its a Yoda Thang     - Brandon Jako

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Holy hack job on a stick batman. I wouldn't have even considered buying that, but that's just me. You have a ton of work ahead of you just to make it somewhat reliable for wheeling imo.

Here's what I'd do if I were you.
Take off the bed and clean up the entire frame with a wire brush on a drill, then take a screwdriver and poke everywhere for soft spots. (I bet it's rotted through right by the gas tank) Patch everything or consider building a new rear frame section.
Cut off anything and everything the PO welded because it looks like :pokinit:.
Reweld everything, most likely with new brackets.
Relocate your transfer case crossmember the correct way, or get a new one, cause that's hokey as hell.
Then I'd por 15 the entire frame and the bottom of the bed and cab.
Get a new speedometer gear because I bet yours is stripped and that's why it won't work.
Get ride of that bodylift because it's absolutely useless.
Get high steer.
Dual cases.
Lockers front and rear, chromo front shafts as well.

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nice project! Looks like your front springs are on backwards.  :biggthumpup:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Holy hack job on a stick batman. I wouldn't have even considered buying that, but that's just me. You have a ton of work ahead of you just to make it somewhat reliable for wheeling imo.

Here's what I'd do if I were you.
Take off the bed and clean up the entire frame with a wire brush on a drill, then take a screwdriver and poke everywhere for soft spots. (I bet it's rotted through right by the gas tank) Patch everything or consider building a new rear frame section.
Cut off anything and everything the PO welded because it looks like :pokinit:.
Reweld everything, most likely with new brackets.
Relocate your transfer case crossmember the correct way, or get a new one, cause that's hokey as hell.
Then I'd por 15 the entire frame and the bottom of the bed and cab.
Get a new speedometer gear because I bet yours is stripped and that's why it won't work.
Get ride of that bodylift because it's absolutely useless.
Get high steer.
Dual cases.
Lockers front and rear, chromo front shafts as well.

I checked the frame today and no rust or pitting so a good sand job and por 15 is my next project on this truck. ( Its a california truck so usually not to bad )

I also and moving the cross member next week when I get some more gas for my mig welder witch would help.

Ill take a look into the speedo gear thanks for the imput. Im gonna be running 36's so is there another gear I can buy to compensate for the difference in mph?

High Steer is ordered and on its wayy!! :eyebrow:

The perch's are getting removed and redone witch will be fun! haha PO welds like a jackass

Lockers whenever I wanna get the money for it. Im gonna daily driver the truck once I get everything rebuild and or replaced so I dont have to keep driving the diesel and burn hella gas.

Thanks for the imput!!

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Nice project! Looks like your front springs are on backwards.  :biggthumpup:

What ??? Seriously ???

HAHA that's crazy I would have never noticed.

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
here is what I am doing to my frame

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=93755.0

Nice build man, Im gonna defiantly going to be doing my frame with hammer coating now :psss:

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What ??? Seriously ???

HAHA that's crazy I would have never noticed.

This side goes forward. unless the springs are not military wrap?

>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

StrangeR4WD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That's going to be a nice build! Like that 3rd gen bed on 1st gen cab and ralley wheels.      Take of all that rust!!! :yesnod:
89 Toyota Pickup 4WD -always work in progress.

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
This side goes forward. unless the springs are not military wrap?

I was at my shop doing work today and forgot to check haha. But Im keeping this in mind thanks for telling me! The PO before me didnt seem to have a clue. Im gonna update with a few more pictures within the hour. Stay posted everyone I know its not a crazy outrageous build but I do my best haha

Now just waiting my my good friend Corey to come help me get my welding skills better. I can weld fine but this truck WILL ROLL so I need to be safe. Corey is a master Iron worker for the state and knows his stuff so I figure start small and learn from the best huh ??

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
WELP!

Time to update! First off I need to sell my car because me not being closer to at least driving this truck daily is killing me !! I need to get movin' faster on this truck, But yet again im trying to make sure I always do a quality job on a truck im going to keep for a while...

Sorry for the cellphone pictures lol

Guess what happened? SOLD THE BED! Guy drove down from Tahoe to pick it up.

He loaded it into a dodge... What a shame haha :reg:
GF got in the shot somehow haha

This is what im left with until I get my bed tomorrow haha. I just started cutting and wire wheeling everything. Damn I have some work ahead of me...

I cut off the garbage ass hitch attachment. I wont be towing with this anyways Ill be towing it for crawl meets with buddys and such. It took about 2 hours to take this off. He must have went through 2 rolls of welding wire and it still wasnt welding on all the way I am pretty sure he hot glued it on...  :shake_head:

Before

After

I got it cleaned up a little bit afterwords

This is what came off...

Im going to be welding the hitch attachment back in to be a rear frame kind of support if ya know what I mean Im just gonna clean it up and sink it into the rear of the frame instead of with the drop brackets. All I need it for is my camping hitch attachments ( Mostly for my shitter attachment, Greatest invention ever. toilet in the woods? I think yes!!)

I cut more flooring out. I found more rust :(

I was looking at the wiring and the old owner said he hardwired the fuel pump to see if it worked and he said it didnt. Guess what he hard wired !!! HAHAHA youll get a kick outta this one...

The f'ing fuel gauge  :joke: I fell out laughing lol

So I fixed it and my fuel gauge works. Awesome !
Also I have a question. Should I leave my shock mounts like this or no ? I think it fine but I want the most drop travel without linking my rear end ( YET ). Any input is great

And I wanna get rid of these blocks. My truck sits way to high in the ass end so I figure this will compensate for the difference. Ill do it next time I see the truck.

Thats about it for now so more updates to come. Im off to a bonfire to bull crap about trucks , drink some beer, and have some good o'll country boy fun. Letter Ya'll until next time!

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Your shocks are fine, it's good for offroading. I'd wait to pull out the blocks until you get a bumper and a bed on there, to see if it drops at all.

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
f them blocks  pull em out    its a fail point

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
f them blocks  pull em out    its a fail point

Yeah I decided to take em out today then realized I need shorter U bolds or I have to die my threads longer and cut my current ones. Gonna wait for money.

Your shocks are fine, it's good for offroading. I'd wait to pull out the blocks until you get a bumper and a bed on there, to see if it drops at all.

I just got my bed today. Im ready to see where I sit after I bob and cut my wheel wells.

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Little update,

I GOT MY BED!! :eyebrow:

HAHA. Im ecstatic ! Buuuut I made a rookie mistake. I was so blinded by the price I forgot the most important question to ask before I came and bought it. I get there and its a long bed  :hammer: I got such a good deal on it though I couldnt complain! I paid $125 for the bed alone. Steal right ? Already has one coat of por15 on the under body and marked up to be bobbed so tomorrow night I get to start cutting;) haha sooo if anyone has any tips or clues on how to keep my tailgate and body in line so that my tail gate does not rattle or any other problems id be extremely greatfull. I want it to go smoothly. Here is a picture of it in my GF's silverado 1500 haha

I didnt catch any other pictures of the bed yet ill get a few tomorrow.

But also he sold me a full shifter assembly with the correct parts for my tranny. Cant beat $25 plus its a marlin crawler bushing so I got it right away. This is my tear down pictures. As you can see the PO decided there was no need for the spring, retainer, or bushing itself... I wonder sometimes why people even buy tools  :dunno:

Sorry for the cropping. I had some , Well rather not to internet friendly comments on my work bench so I figure I love this forum and would like to still be a member haha.

The housing was very dirty so I cleaned it up a bit and rebuild the whole Assembly and installed it to test.

Looks good to me  :wink2:

I love the leather TRD shift handle :smokin:

Well thats all today. Ill update tomorrow after I get home from work. yall have a good one im off for some beer and food! :beerchug:

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
The only thing I can think with the bed is you're going to have to bob in front of the wheel well as well as behind

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
The only thing I can think with the bed is you're going to have to bob in front of the wheel well as well as behind

Thats what I was worried about. Because I am suppose to have a short bed or because it will look dumb?

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Thats what I was worried about. Because I am suppose to have a short bed or because it will look dumb?

Because a long bed truck has a longer wheelbase so the wheel well is farther from the cab than a short bed truck. So the wheel well would start about half way through your tire.

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Because a long bed truck has a longer wheelbase so the wheel well is farther from the cab than a short bed truck. So the wheel well would start about half way through your tire.

I was kinda just wishing it wouldnt... :pokinit: lol welp at least I get to cut some more :pokinit: up  :yesnod:

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Howdey Yall !

Omg im so sick of working fulltime and after hours plus working on my truck but yet again its always worth it! haha.
Well I didnt get to much done today just keep on getting everything ready to be burned into place so I can get the truck back onto the road. I need to sell my car already and get paid so I can get some parts and product to get stuff done!! haha.

I did get the chance to buy something from a friend of mine. Has anyone seen these before? Its a set of cylinder door locks with Tool box looking keys ( dont know term ). I love them though , aint no one stealing my rig! :gap:

Snapped some picture's of the bed today, Annnnnnd yeah there is going to be a lot of bobbing but its okay I dont mind. haha.

I have the tail light covers just wanted to make sure they didnt get broke.

The bed was undercoated on about 3/4 of the bottom. Only one coat though. So Im gonna bed liner and/or POR15 the whole underside just like my cab will be.

A little rust. No problem!

Im so sorry for the shitty picture here...

I want my tailgate clean so I have a little body work ahead.

I have found a set of doors to use ( no pictures ) which are way cleaner than my original doors. So this means its half doors time! I masked off a line I think I really really like to make the cut just wanted and idea from you guys to see about flaws and things that can go wrong with the cut and capping? Im gonna cut them tomorrow so Id like to know if anyone thinks ill hit some problems. Looks very strait forword.

This is how I want to cut them. The cut will be the inside of the tape line.

Im cutting my fenders as well to clear the 36" TSL's lol. I know I know 36's are going to snap berfields and cause damage but Im not going to wheel this truck hard until I get locked in the rear and somewhat of gears and not bone stock t case and axle gears...

Here are my TSL's ( only snagged a picture of one... )

I got the hitch mount bar out and found out what im doing with it. Im sinking it into the end of my frame rails so I can box my frame and brace it again all in one shot. Plus I need a hitch for camping and my dirtbike attachment plate to save room on the trailer when the truck is loaded.

This is before

This is after

The section that is cut out is where im going to cut off so it fits snug in my frame rails. ( Its was notched for the old mount there )

This is the whole section ( Upside down )

Im fitting it ever so perfectly right in that slot. Hopefully I can get some good solid beads all the way around it

I have to cut out that plate first though. Anyways I figured I havent thrown up a engine bay picture so here ya go. And ever soo. Well... Its a 20R ? Idk what much to say good other then they laaaaast  :bowdown:

Now for the part where you guys wanna punch me in the mouth  :D These are a set of headlights I have around the shop that I wanna install in my old position. I know everyone is saying " round head light this, Round headlight that " but ehh I dont care ether way these Celica Supra Headlights are WAY brighter with a better high beam also...

Before

After! I think it looks okay, You ?

Well have some comments on that one forsure haha. Well I started on some body work also. Im not gonna make the truck strait just going to make everything down to medal to start from fresh when I start. Got a little down today

Lookin better

I think its 100% better haha

Welp still cleaning the frame and guess what I found -_- CRACK

Okay well I have a question for you fokes. Should I weld in a brace in the middle of my shackle? It was there at some point I see but not now. haha. Any ideas?

Also I have a aftermarket set of leafs up front so if you look I have an offset spacer in there that looks to be doing something of nothing? Anyone know if its for like moving the axle in a correct position or something else?

What leaf springs are these?

Im gonna google it maybe..

I got a day off tomorrow!! woo hoo!! :willynilly: 8 hours at the shop it is haha! Ill update the forum tomorrow when im back home! Have a good one yall!

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Those are Rancho 44044's, some people call them "waggy leafs" they give you around 3" of lift.. very good spring for the front. I ran them in my 82' before doing links/coilovers. Ton's of flex and good overall ride.

Looks like your getting there, alot of work.. keep it coming.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Those are Rancho 44044's, some people call them "waggy leafs" they give you around 3" of lift.. very good spring for the front. I ran them in my 82' before doing links/coilovers. Ton's of flex and good overall ride.

Looks like your getting there, alot of work.. keep it coming.

Someone told me that they were Waggy Leafs and I didnt believe him! Sweet thanks for the info Im glad I dont really have to do much intil I go Dana 60s or something. Im just gonna wheel till I break then upgrade.

Well by that logic id have a a crazy crawler after like 4 wheelin' trips haha  :laugh:

Kyle20r4spd

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 82
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Gotta Love A Yoter!!!
    • View Profile
Looks like a tedious project, keep up the work also you say haha alot:haha:
Just put er' to the wood and it'll make it!!! -Dylan W.

Isn't ketchup technically a tomato smoothie???

Jason E. [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Looks like a tedious project, keep up the work also you say haha alot:haha:

Pretty much. lol Mostly because a lot of the previous work on this truck makes me laugh a lot !

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
i think  its a good base to start with you can save it!

Kyle20r4spd

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 82
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Gotta Love A Yoter!!!
    • View Profile
Pretty much. lol Mostly because a lot of the previous work on this truck makes me laugh a lot !
Yeah I can see why in the pictures, like the bumper cut in half and the transfer case mount don't forget about those beautiful welds holding on your shackles either :rofl: You'll get er' fixed up and going. It is a pretty nice project, there is a lot there to work with. Keep it up :thumbs:

Just put er' to the wood and it'll make it!!! -Dylan W.

Isn't ketchup technically a tomato smoothie???