Author Topic: trailer tires vs. auto tires  (Read 7591 times)

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
trailer tires vs. auto tires
« on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »
I'm going to get a new set of tires put on my car trailer tomorrow.  I have trailer tires on there now, not sure what brand, it's whatever came on the trailer new.  I've heard that trailer tires don't generally last to long.  I was thinking of putting an auto tire on.  The heaviest vehicle ever on my trailer is my 3000 toyota pickup.  I know the weight rating is different between the two tires, but seems like an auto tire would be just fine, if not better for wear than a trailer tire.  Any idea's or advice would be great.  Thanks in advance.

Edwin
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Re: trailer tires vs. auto tires
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »
There is a reason they have trailer tires and truck tires.  Trailer tires are designed to deal with the stresses that a trailer puts out.  If your trailer tires are wearing out fast then maybe there is something wrong or your just flat out towing a lot.  All the trailers we have at our shop last forever besides being ripped apart by bad drivers. 

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:36:51 PM »
the tires probably have around 6k miles or so on them and they are slicks.  i don't have the trailer brakes hooked up, and i always make sure i'm not too heavy on one end or the other.  maybe it was just junk dry rotted factory tires.
the only thing i see different between trailer and auto tires is the weight rating(sidewall ply, etc).  why would running car tires be bad if my truck only weighs 3000 lbs and the car tires average 1500lbs per tire(~6000lbs total wieght capacity) and the trailer weighs maybe 1000lbs, a total of around 4000 lbs(truck and trailer). is there any other differences?  i'm not trying to be cheep, i'll buy trailer tires, but i'de like something thats going to last longer.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »
Just imagine your truck with an extra truck on top of it.  The weight distribution on a trailer isnt the same as on truck. The weight moves around a lot more which puts tons of stress on the sidewalls of the tire.  This is a main reason for blow outs on trailers. Trailer tires arent designed for speed like normal radial is. If you really want to save a few bucks then get radials or cheap trailer tires but in the long run you will end up paying for it one way or another.  I have seen plenty do it with fairly good luck but to me its just luck.  I was a over the road truck driver and I cant tell ya how many times I got pissed of due to low quality tires blowing apart when they were new.

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:51:33 PM »
Just imagine your truck with an extra truck on top of it.  The weight distribution on a trailer isnt the same as on truck. The weight moves around a lot more which puts tons of stress on the sidewalls of the tire.  This is a main reason for blow outs on trailers. Trailer tires arent designed for speed like normal radial is. If you really want to save a few bucks then get radials or cheap trailer tires but in the long run you will end up paying for it one way or another.  I have seen plenty do it with fairly good luck but to me its just luck.  I was a over the road truck driver and I cant tell ya how many times I got pissed of due to low quality tires blowing apart when they were new.

would radial trailer tires last longer?  any suggestions on brand? like i said before, i don't mind spending a few bucks more if they are going to last longer.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:02:44 PM »
trailer tires are designed to be abused... scrubbing (while turning), different heat cycles, weathering, and most importantly, trailers dont have the same suspension as your average truck, the trailer tires just plain get beat.....

that being said.... i have LT tires on my hauler lol... and alum wheels.... which is also considered a no no lol..then again i only tow my 4runner maybe 60 miles one way... and never over 65... so?

Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

possume22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:51:39 PM »
i run radial car tires now but the heaviest thing i haul is my yota the tires that came with my trailer lasted about 9000 miles should have changed them around 8000 i think i put 205 75 15 tires back on they have about 12000 miles on them the front has gotta little more wear than the back but thats from tight turning and i sat they still have half tread i pull my trailer everyday 70+ mph 80 miles one way twice a week with mulch and mowers the tires will have a little bulge in the side wall when loaded heavy but car tires have a softer side wall than a trailer tire and a trailer tire is more square than a car tire the radials ride and pull soooo much smoother i will buy car tires again                   what size are your tires

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:52:43 PM »
You might get away with a LOAD RANGE E truck tire...........

An auto tire isn't strong enough.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »
I agree with most of what's been said here!  If your trailer tires are wearing out fast, something is wrong with your trailer.  Car tires won't and don't last properly on trailers, and the end result is often pretty bad.  Bad axle alignment and the wrong pressure are the 2 things I see most commonly tearing up trailer tires. 

Do you have an america's/discount tire in town?  They probably have 3 options, in order of price:  greenball towmaster st, greenball transmaster, and maxxis m8008, though the maxxxis are likely an order item. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2010, 06:45:10 AM »
not sure on the axle alignment.  i didn't build the trailer, its a Big Tex 19' car hualer.  Max tire pressure is 55 lbs and I run them at 50 all the time.  the front tires do wear faster.  If I was in bakersfield right now I would be near an America's tire, but i'm not.  Probably going to go to Big Brand or Tire Pro's.  Think I might give the Radial's a shot, or just see what the shop recomends.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2010, 12:16:50 PM »
Where are the brakes?  (front,rear,both)

Why don't you rotate the tires.........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »
if i had the cash id be buying trailer tires to replace the  truck tires on my trailer.. had one blow out sunday just sitting in my yard and the trailer hadnt been on the road in over a month.

Pretty much what was said before.. LT tires just arent built to deal with the stress a trailer puts on them
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2010, 04:32:40 PM »
Where are the brakes?  (front,rear,both)

Why don't you rotate the tires.........
brakes are on the rear axle.  i don't have a brake controller so i don't have them hooked up.  i've rotated the tires 3 times since i've had it.
just got back from Bing Brand Tire.  They only carried 2 different trailer tires.  one brand was already mounted to wheels and sold as a package, the other, which i got, is a Super Trail ST Radial (205/75/15), came out $348.  Tires are made in china.  I called three other tire shops in town and they all carried the same brand, made in china.  hopefully they last a bit longer than the last set.  I did notice though while they had it up on jack stands, the shackles were a bit loose.  is that normal?  the bolt was tight, but the shackle itself had a bit of slop in it.  maybe i'll stick an impact on it and tighten it down.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »
Lose like a LOT of side slop or takes a little force to wiggle em.  Trailer shackles are normally snug but if they are too tight you will wear out the spring bushing.  Which is what I am guess is the case with yours. I will say if they have been loose for a while now it very well could account for the excessive tire wear since it would allow one axle to off track. I would take the shackle off and check the bushings before tightening them back up. If bushing are fine then just make sure you allow the shackle to move freely. The main reason I mention this is because trailer axles have leaf spring which are connected in the middle.  So the shackles will move a lot more then a shackle on our rigs. Dont forget to slap some grease in them while you have it apart. Mind as well check all the wheel bearing too ! LoL nice little list for ya.

superyota [OP]

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »
i'll pull all the wheels of and check out all 4 sides.  thanks for the info
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

86sasyotanh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling in the Trees
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:07:14 PM »
Radial trailer tires are awesome. Every trailer I have (between my father and I thats about 15) has radials. They tow better and last longer.
1986 Toyota 22r 5 speed SAS Dual Cases Welded rear 36x12.50x15 tsl flatbed

86sasyotanh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling in the Trees
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
Are they wearing to one side more than the other? If they are, your axles need to be replaced. You can also look at the axle itself. If there is a slight upward bend in the axle(unloaded), it is still good.
1986 Toyota 22r 5 speed SAS Dual Cases Welded rear 36x12.50x15 tsl flatbed