Author Topic: Looking for the right Project for my 87 4Runner - final project for a Mech Eng  (Read 7604 times)

climber87

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Here's the deal...I've finally got a class that allowd me to learn more about and work on cars. As a final project we have a fairly open ended project - it has to be auto system ralated. I'm trying to figure out if there's a good project I can do on my 87 4runner. I've got access to a full garage, with lift, tools, engine rebuild stall, lube racks, welding, etc...pretty much anything i could want at at like 3$/hr to use. Its a partner project and we are looking at about 30-40hrs of work.

Any ideas on what a good project would be? I was thinking about either rebuilding my 22re or finding one in a junk yard and rebuilding it - but this is a lot of time and I wouldn't want my truck out of commission for a whole month or two.

Any suggestions are welcome. The stats on the truck are as follows:
5spd transmission
22-RE
just over 135,000 miles

New Parts:
-Shocks (all around-Monroe Sensa-trac, meant to use until I upgrade, but still as good or better than stock)
-new brakes all around
-marlin crawler 1600 clutch

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Sounds like it could be fun. I kind of went the other way around, tore my truck down and built it back up learning about it along the way and now i'm working on my mech. engineering degree  :yupyup:

What are the requirements to satisfy the project?
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

climber87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Also...I'd rather not spend a boatload on this...though I'm definitely willing to put some good money into my truck. So projects that include runs to local junkyards would be great.

climber87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Yeah...the degree...and the book work aren't as fun. Below are the exact requirements...but basically anything goes as long as we can analyze it engineering-wise, etc.

"Your project should require 30-40 hours to accomplish, including time spent preparing the final oral and written report.  You may work as a team (2-3 persons or more depending on project scope) to accomplish the projects.  If your project involves your own vehicle, you must purchase all hardware and materials.  With instructor approval, you may use the common scrounge, scrap, and bench stock in the Mech Lab.
Your project must relate to some aspect of automotive significance.  Since this is an engineering course that satisfies an engineering elective, projects must have significant engineering content.  In fact, the engineering content of your project will make up at least 25% of your grade. Hands-on hardware projects are encouraged as long as the engineering content is there.
Your project grade will be based on the entire process of research, design, hands-on work, testing, analysis of results, and the written and oral reporting of these efforts.  A project which fails to work but which shows a significant effort using sound engineering principles will receive a better grade than a successful project poorly done.  Finally, you will be required to keep a time log of your work throughout the semester.  If you are planning a project which will be submitted for multiple classes, be sure you can clearly delineate the portions for each course."

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Where do you go?

A friend of mine did some stuff for his truck for one of his classes but not a final project. He designed a front bumper with a winch mount, did all the load and stress tests on it, yadda yadda yadda, i can't even count the number of times he redesigned that thing. He made models, templates, etc. until he got what he wanted then fabbed it up. Sounds like that might fit into what you need. You can do a lot of testing on body armor that you design. Maybe a swing out spare carrier for the rear.
Central Valley Crawlers

climber87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Im at the Naval Academy...but taking this class on exchange at the Air Force Academy in Colorado springs

I like the idea of a spare tire carrier...specially since i just cut out the stupid winch thing that was rusted solid.

climber87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
I was also thinking about grabbing a engine from a junker and rebuilding it...then popping it in. But I've nver done that and am not sure about the time and costs.

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
That would be good too. The cost can vary, as well as the time with how much experience you have. If you decide to go that route here's a good place to get rebuild parts that you'll need: http://www.engnbldr.com/

I've had nothing but good service from them and Ted is very knowledgeable and could answer any questions you might have  :twocents:
Central Valley Crawlers

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
If the idea is to design and build, then the winch bumper would work, or a t-case mounted e-brake (something the idea is already there for, but design and mounting changes and material choices would be analized), (for slightly higher cost - haha) a exocage with the bending forces analized... so many different choices.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

climber87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
It can also be a analyze...take reading, etc...build and analyze afterwards. Doesn't have to entail actually designing something...though a exocage would be sick

climber87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Just a quick question. If the engine isn't really giving me any problems is it worth it to rebuild...or put a rebuilt one in? Or should I wait till it really needs it?

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I'd wait to rebuild. It took me many many hours more than what you'd wanna spend. I ended up throwing about $1000 on it with machine work and rebuild kit. I'd wait to rebuild until you really need to, and even then I'd swap in something with more power, like a 5VZ (3.4L). Spend your time on something that'll make it wheel better.

climber87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Makes sense. I've seen that a solid front axle swap is a recommended upgrade. But its expensive and time consuming isn't it? I should probably just stick with something like front and rear bumpers or the tire carrier.

A small suspension lift all around would probably work as well...though is it worth it with IFS?

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Depends on what you're truck is going to see.
Central Valley Crawlers

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
you can put junkard 60s front and rear and use stock gears to keep the cost down
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon