Author Topic: Driving to Rubicon?  (Read 2612 times)

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Driving to Rubicon?
« on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
Ok here is where i'm at.  i have a 1st gen pu and i am planning on doing the Rubicon this coming summer, my question is i am looking for everyone's opinion on should i drive my Toyota or tow it?  it is my DD and i live in Fresno, it climbs the highway ok but could be better.  When i wheel around here i do not usually have camping gear  because we are so close to home and going slow up the hill doesn't matter because there is usually never any traffic.  But heading to the Rubicon is a different story.  And how much time should i give myself to get there?  Thanks

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -367
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
Re: Driving to Rubicon?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2008, 11:06:33 AM »
well if you have the means to tow it then i would ust in cas of breakage.

2slow4you

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Oct '07
  • I got the Jeep thing, now it burns when i pee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2008, 11:52:04 AM »
well if you have the means to tow it then i would ust in cas of breakage.

x2 I'm either going to Moab or Rubicon this summer and I wish i had the means of a tow rig. Spare everything and a ton of camping gear + 4.10's/22r/33's.... If i leave now i might make it by the end of the summer. :(

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:00:03 PM »
I think my biggest problem to over come is that if i break something i will need to make sure i am able to fix it to get home.  And besides i don't really want it take 10 hours to get there and then another to get back.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:01:04 PM »
also keep in mind that towing will cost more will probably cost mroe considerably more than just driving your rig.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »
 I drove mine from Fresno, loaded with camping gear for the  :turtle: Round Up. I also had lots of raffle prizes like Power Tank Kits, chromo rear axles and 2 complete cage kits. I have 5.29's and 33's.  Sometimes I might get to 70 mph  :hammerhead:  My truck has 230,000 miles that I know of and I took my time. I was with Marlin and BigMike so I had to push it a little :wink2: For a time  5-7 hrs.  When are you planning on going?  I might join  :pirate:    :driving:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:06:55 PM »
That is true but my truck only has an 11 gal tank and i can only get about 175 miles to a tank on all freeway.  But towing it doubles.  Good point thanks, i didn't think of that.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,053
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »
The answer to your question depends on a couple of things:

(1) Is your truck safe to drive on the road?  If it's your daily driver then it shouldn't be a problem unless you normally stay off of the highway.

(2) Is your truck trail tested so you don't expect anything to break?  It all depends on your build and driving style.

I drove my 89 4Runner from Washington State to the Rubicon for MCR7 and drove it earlier in the year to Moab.  In the past I drove my 85 truck to Moab three or four times.  The key is that I treat my rigs with respect and build them to be stronger than I plan to need.

The only real downside to towing is that you could have to make the round trip to get the tow rig if you didn't plan to run the trail both directions.

x2 I'm either going to Moab or Rubicon this summer...(

I've been both places and Moab is much much better than the Rubicon.  The Rubicon basically translates to one of many trail options in Moab.  I don't know the travel distance for each, but for me it's either 800 miles to the Rubicon or about 1,100 miles to Moab and I'd drive the extra 300 miles every time.  The Rubicon was fun, but I have not met anyone that has done both and would choose the Rubicon all other things being equal.

:twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »
haven't pined down a date yet, but will let you know when we do. I am just trying to get as much info as i can before we go.  I want to be prepared and the wife might be going so i have to have all the ducks in a row.  That way she will know what she is getting into.

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »
Just to throw another question out there,  when would be the best time to run the Rubicon?  Don't want snow but a little water never hurt.  Does it close for the winter and open for summer?  Most of the trails here do, reason for the dumb question.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »
your best bet would be early june, after that it gets super dusty and hot

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2008, 07:45:36 PM »
I could be down to train to the con, let me know when you go :gap:
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar