Author Topic: Dusy-Ershim trail report . . .  (Read 5940 times)

Revivalist

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
Dusy-Ershim trail report . . .
« on: Aug 11, 2007, 01:32:40 AM »
Last night I got back home from the Dusy after a long 3 days. Here's some wheelin pics. (Sorry for the slightly fuzzy camera.) . . .

Unfortunately, it didn't go so well for me. . . . I discovered that my tires were aired down too low when they started buckling over. After a few more obstacles, my inner bead kept burping until I was down to probably zero PSI. . . . Finally the tire wanted to come completely off the rim! . . .

So, we had to stop, jack the truck up, and air up the tires to reseat the bead. . . At least the view was nice up there. . .

Things went well for several hours as we wheeled our way toward Lake-camp lake. . . . Then my buddy behind me noticed gear oil on some of the rocks. We all stopped to check our drain plugs and here's what I found under my rig. . .

The knuckle was cracked and gushing gear oil! . . . We knew that was a repair that would need several hours, so we figured we need to just stop and set up camp. In the morning we tore down the knuckle and found the upper trunion bearing was pulverized. . . . Notice the kibbles-n-bit-n-bits sitting in the knucke that are left-over from the bearing.

Fortunately my buddy carries some spare bearings. He welded the crack and used an old bolt to help strengthen it  . . . I'm glad he carries an on-board welder! . . .

Thursday morning I parted ways with the guys I came with. I headed back to Kaiser pass and they went deeper into the Dusy. The knuckle held up very well while wheeling back out. . . . I’m disappointed that I didn’t get to run the whole Dusy, but I was thankful to at least be able to get back out. And of course, there's always next year! . . .

In the meantime, I have a few scars to remind that I must go back and conquer one day. . . Here’s what I call “Carnage Asada” . . .

Dents on the front and rear passenger doors . . .

A dent on the bed . . .

Oh yeah, and here's something weird. . . not really carnage, but definitely not something you see everyday . . . Here's what happens to a tire that is at zero PSI at 10,000ft elevation and comes down to 300ft elevation. . . .

When I pushed the valve stem, it actually started airing itself back up! . . .
Check out our new organization, Outdoor Enthusiasts! It's a new and exciting way to raise money for trail supporting organizations! The best part is that you support trails without spending any new money!

locktup

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Locktup Fab
    • View Profile
    • www.locktupfabrication.com
Re: Dusy-Ershim trail report . . .
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2007, 08:39:35 AM »
Good carnage.

Jason
LOCKTUP SHOULD HAVE HIS OWN DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHOW!!

www.LOCKTUPFABRICATION.com

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2007, 07:26:36 PM »
sweet....I need to check that trail out!
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2007, 07:51:44 PM »
DANG  thats  some air depressure  right thar  :haha:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2007, 10:36:51 AM »
Thanks for the pics. Too bad you weren't able to get all the way in.

I had a question regarding your knuckle: What trunion bearing were you using? Did you reuse your old factory bearings over, or replace them from a kit when you built the diamond axle? If from a kit, which kit?

Thanks
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2007, 11:55:56 PM »
Hey Mike!  :wave:

I bought the axle already built by Inchworm so they must have installed the trunion bearings. They said they used a knuckle rebuild kit when they built it so I assume that it wasn't the stock bearing. The knuckle rebuild kit was from Trail Gear.
Check out our new organization, Outdoor Enthusiasts! It's a new and exciting way to raise money for trail supporting organizations! The best part is that you support trails without spending any new money!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2007, 01:50:15 AM »
Thankyou :beerchug:

BTW, your truck looks AWESOME with the new tires and wheels. Really sets it into proportion! :thumbs:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2007, 10:54:52 AM »
Oh, I forgot to ask my question :smack: :idiot:

The reason why I asked about the bearing is I am wondering if the bearing first exploded which then caused the knuckle to get bound up and crack? Were you just driving normally when it happened, or did you drop off of a large ledge maybe :headscratch:

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2007, 11:51:02 AM »
Thankyou :beerchug:

BTW, your truck looks AWESOME with the new tires and wheels. Really sets it into proportion! :thumbs:
Thanks!

The reason why I asked about the bearing is I am wondering if the bearing first exploded which then caused the knuckle to get bound up and crack? Were you just driving normally when it happened, or did you drop off of a large ledge maybe :headscratch:
That's a good question. . . . I assumed that the knuckle cracked first since that's what I figured provides the strength/support, then once it was cracked and allowed more play than it should, the bearing got pulverized. . . . But I don't know the design and function of all the front axle parts like you probably do. . . . Is it possible for the bearing to break first and then the knuckle? . . . Or put another way, even if the bearing was faulty to begin with, would that cause the knuckle to crack?

By the way, yes, I did come off a ledge very hard earlier in the trail. We suspect that's where it happened. . . . Lesson learned: Don't try to keep up with Rick in his buggy.  :smack:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:22:05 PM »
Well, in general, Knuckles just don't crack like that. But remember they are designed for a truck that weighs around 3,000 with a 4cyl engine and 29" tires :greengrin:

Rock racing would definitely be a good way to break something though :yupyup:

So when are you making another run? I need to do a couple runs before the round up to make sure everything is a-ok.

BigMike

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2007, 09:06:09 AM »
So when are you making another run? I need to do a couple runs before the round up to make sure everything is a-ok.

BigMike
To be honest, I'm a little beat from wheelin this summer.  :hammerhead: Maybe once I get these knuckles replaced I'll feel re-energized. . . . I was hoping to do all of Swamp in a day before the summer ends. I hear it's a nice long, hard trail, very scenic, and yet it doesn't require camping like the Dusy. . . . I have a buddy who wants to do it in a day trip before the summer ends. It would be a on Saturday. . . . Would that sound interesting to you? . . .

I'll stop by the shop today. If you're there then we can chat about it.

Cheers! :)

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2007, 11:18:20 AM »
You have swamp right.  It is nice, scenic, and long but it is not hard.  It will take you about 7 hours to get through.

megolfer

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Male Posts: 438
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2007, 06:40:18 PM »
Went to swamp a couple of weeks ago and I was pretty disappointed.  I thoguth it was going to be a lot harder.  It was a very scenic trail, but long.  I was covered with dirt from all the dust.