Author Topic: 4Runner Dual Cases/Center Console modifications  (Read 10566 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
4Runner Dual Cases/Center Console modifications
« on: Sep 17, 2006, 07:02:26 PM »
Hey folks. I have a 1985 4runner that is about to get a facelift. The only thing that is holding me back at this point is locating a second transfer case for the dual cases.

My question is about what people have done with their center consoles. I would like to try and retain a clean, factoryish interior, as well as keep my rear heater and such. Im just not sure at this point what I should do to accomodate the addition of a third shifter.

I searched everywhere and didnt come up with anything besides a single photo of what someone had done with their buddy's truck. This is what I had imagined I would be doing:

So for setting something like that up, would it be a good idea to invest in a short throw shifter for that case? Has anyone had to have custom shifters made for this setup?

If anyone has done anything differerntly with their 4runner, I would love to see photos. I am just trying to get as many ideas as I can before I jump into this. Hopefuly this hasnt been posted before, because if it has I couldnt find it. If there is an alternate post I should refer to, I am all ears. Thanks for your time.

Take care.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
I cut that center section out, leaving my arm rest/console in its original location. Took the controls for the rear window and mounted them inside the center console. Put an extra screw from the center console to the floor board and everythings tight and nothing hits. But I have to say it doesn't look as nice as that puc you posted  :dunno:

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Just start cutting and make your own design.  It looks like by the picture, the rear T-Case might be hard to engage.

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
That looks like a tight tolerance, might hit under drivetrain twist/torque.  :dunno:
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Yeah, it seems like it might get a little squirly trying to shift that one into a gear. Im leaning towards just removing the window/wiper controls and placing them somewhere else, and just cutting a fairly large hole.

olivedrab85, do you happen to have any shots of the interior of your truck? (assuming that you have a 4runner)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
I am currently building a 4Runner.  I am moving from a truck.  Not enough room.  I plan on cutting the console right where it closes and then fabing up a cover.

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
olivedrab85, do you happen to have any shots of the interior of your truck? (assuming that you have a 4runner)
yea i got some ill post up tonight.
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
Here's how I did mine it is simple but it works. It use to be an auto I don't know if that matters.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
That is exactly what I plan on doing to my Runner

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography

Ewong

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Or make a "triple stick".

What I plan to do - if I ever get to it :(
yeah yeah - still IFS...

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Cool guys, I appreciate your input. More pictures are welcome!! :)

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
you need one of theis :thumbs:
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Hmmm maybe. That would be nice. Still curious to see if anyone else has any pictures of their setups.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
you need one of theis :thumbs:

Did you make that shifter?  Where did it come from?

BCD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here is what I did. I removed the front part of the console that houses the rear window switches, installed a rubber shift boot and made a vinyl cover. Moved the switches just above the radio where there are already two cut outs, and left the window lock under the carpet.

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
Nice, thats a clean setup.  :thumbs:

ScaldedDog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
  • 88 4Runner, MC07, 4.70's
    • View Profile
    • ScaldedDog.COm
Here's mine from an 88 4Runner with the heater still intact.

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile

Did you make that shifter?  Where did it come from?
is

its from this thred   http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22747.0
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Cool. BCD, do you happen to have any larger pictures. I cant really make much out from those little thumbnails.  ???

Again, thanks for the replies.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
That looks like a tight tolerance, might hit under drivetrain twist/torque.  :dunno:
You should have just asked me. :joke:

I really like how my duals turned out. I haven't had any trouble with it under torque etc. The ONLY issue I have is that I need to open the storage compartment lid to shift from 2H over to 4H and 4L which tends to be once at the beginning of the trail and once at the end. :) I do realize I will need to rethink this set up if/when I go to a twin stick. 8)
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
You should have just asked me. :joke:

I really like how my duals turned out. I haven't had any trouble with it under torque etc. The ONLY issue I have is that I need to open the storage compartment lid to shift from 2H over to 4H and 4L which tends to be once at the beginning of the trail and once at the end. :) I do realize I will need to rethink this set up if/when I go to a twin stick. 8)

Hah yeah I should have but I had just saved the pic on my comp a few weeks back and I was too lazy to go figure out who's rig it was.  :gap:

Anyway, thanks for your input man. At this point I am just going to have at it and see how it turns out. I have gotten a ton of great ideas from members here and of course I am still down for any more pictures others have. I will post pictures in my buildup thread when I start.

Keep those pictures coming (if there are anymore to be posted) :P

Take it easy.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
We do a VERY clean installation complete with weather tight upholstery. We position the switches perpendicular to the vehicle, as apposed to parallel, and fit the shifter right in the cubby hole.

If the 4Runner has a rear passenger heater, then it is a bit harder and a short throw shifter may be required.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki