Author Topic: Tacoma sputter died after high rev 3.4 tacoma v6  (Read 3675 times)

Taco11twp

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Tacoma sputter died after high rev 3.4 tacoma v6
« on: Oct 21, 2017, 06:32:48 AM »
 :help: so it was rain out I just bought the tacoma did a burn out hit rev limiter check engine light started flicking on and off then kept on solid as well as the truck feeling like it wanted to die i came to a stop it completely died temp gauge pegged on hot it did not over heat though truck won't fire at all sounds like it turn over just fine just won't fire temp gauge stayed on hot as well as the check engine light and help would be greatly appreciated oil looks fine no leaks thanks

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Hey Taco11twp,

You probably already know this, but for purposes of exposition:

Engines need four things to run:

1) Fuel
2) Air
3) Compression
4) Ignition
5) Exhaust

I highly doubt that you've damaged your exhaust, fuel supply, or air supply by over-revving and over-heating the engine, which leaves compression or ignition. I know nothing about the newer Toyota engines, but I believe that the engines from the 80s and 90s will bite back real quick if you overheat them; typically they seem lose compression due to a blown HG or warped head.

The above is pure speculation by someone who knows nothing at all and isn't even there to look at your truck and experience its problems. You can either listen to me, or you can get a factory service manual, a multimeter, and a compression gauge and listen to them. The latter approach will be much more productive in the long run. But from experience: do yourself a favor and avoid Haynes, Chilton, and like manuals. Get a real, genuine, Toyota FSM because they are much more detailed and tailored to your specific model and year of vehicle.

Happy fixing!

Taco11twp [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Checked timing belt appears to be good hasn't skipped a tooth oil and coolant are good so I'm guessing not a head gasket what else could it be please help 🤦‍♂️

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Need to plug into the OBD port. Get the codes
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Taco11twp [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Scanner will not detect my vehicle

Taco11twp [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So with the vehicle off no key in the ignition check engine light is on and temp gauge is pegged hot put the key in it and put it to on gauge drops to normal and engine light goes off so lost

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Why not?. Is it your own personal tool. If so, maybe autozone or local parts store

Taco11twp [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I got it from autozone

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Well, I hope your head gasket is good. However, when the head gasket on my Daihatsu was bad, it took a good 50 or so miles of driving before I got coolant in the oil. At least, don't rule it out yet.

Do a compression check. That will tell you volumes more than my uninformed speculations.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
sounds like you need to find both ends of said problem, and run a continuity check on wires

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So with the vehicle off no key in the ignition check engine light is on and temp gauge is pegged hot put the key in it and put it to on gauge drops to normal and engine light goes off so lost

That is bizarre. Have you tried unplugging the battery for awhile? The fact that the code reader also doesn't recognize the vehicle is also strange, maybe the ecu.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
The pegged temp gauge has me thinking along the lines of live oak with water in a connector or the wire grounded somehow. I've had a few 3.4 shut off after bouncing the rev limiter for a few seconds and most all were due to having old plugs and wires and it threw multi cylinder misfire codes. New plugs and wires always help on the 3.4 engine. Not saying that is your peoblem just a suggestion of where to look along with the grounding issue on the temp gauge.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck