Author Topic: Rear Dual Case Pops Out of Gear  (Read 5128 times)

nadams86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
Rear Dual Case Pops Out of Gear
« on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
Need some help figuring out why my rear dual case is popping out of gear.  I have 2.28 in front with a 4.7 twin stick in the rear for an 86 4runner.  The issue is the High/low shifter can not stay in low gear when going down hill.  Even if i hold my hand on the shifter, it still pops out of gear so i just keep my foot on the brake.   It's been an issue ever since I built the cases and installed it three years ago but not a big enough issue to worry about. However, it seems to be getting worse. 

I've installed HD springs for all three decent balls (front and rear case), clearance looks good around the shifters, and the stock motor mounts look good.  I've read that a lot of people have issues with the front case popping out when the shift rail isn't trimmed correctly but it doesn't matter position of the front case, it still pops out as I'm going down hill.

Would the shift forks be worn down on the low gear and it can't hold it position? Any help on possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.   

Thanks,

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Dual Case Pops Out of Gear
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2017, 11:13:55 AM »
I know you said clearance looks good. But make sure to the shift boot isnt pulling on the shifter.
When i first built my duals i didnt trim the shift rails enough and that caused mine to pop out of gear.

Other than those two things, im not sure what could cause your problem.

nadams86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »
I don't think the boot is pulling on the shifter cause it still pops out when i'm trying to prevent it by holding it with my hand. 

when you had to trim you shifter rails, was your front or rear case popping out of gear?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2017, 02:18:35 AM »
How about the detent pin, balls and springs?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

nadams86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
I have the HD springs in each location.  Before the HD springs were installed, the case would pop out much easier so they helped a little but didn't solve the problem.  What do you mean by the detent pin and balls?

nadams86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
Would I be able to remove the first cover (cover #1 per marlins instructions) with the high/low gears without taking the rest apart?  Since my issue is with the high/low shift fork popping out of gear, i figured I'd start in the front of the case instead of starting from the back and taking everything apart. 

nadams86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:00:07 AM »
I ended up giving my transfer case to a shop to help determine why my rear case is popping out of gear (high/low) as I'm going down hill.  After he pulled everything, he was not able to see anything out of the ordinary but some play with the high/low shifter fork and clutch sleeve. Meaning side to side movement when engaged with the low gear.  When he compared it to the front 2.28 gears and the fork and sleeve had very little side to side movement when engaged.  That was his only thought after breaking it down.  The 4.7 gears are TG and have been popping out since I put them in however it was reduced when i put in the HD springs.  I was reading that the older Marlin 4.7 gears didn't have a 2 degree taper on the gear and customers complained their cases would pop out of gear. Then Marlin changed gear cutters and incorporated the 2 degree taper. Does anyone know if the TG gear set have the 2 degree taper?

I understand I'm on Marlin's form asking questions about TG products but I'm trying to talk with an many sources as possible to figure what's going on with my set up.   

My other possibility is a worn down shifter fork and clutch sleeve that is causing a good amount of side to side movement.  Has anyone encountered this before or some ideas to confirm if this is my problem?  Also, what about purchasing a new sleeve and fork?  Who provides these as individual part other than the dealership? 

Thanks for the help.   

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
I had the same issue with a stock case before. Make sure that pocket bearing isn't sloppy and also the needle bearing on the hi/lo counter gear
hold this. . .

nadams86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
Need some help to determine if the gear teeth on the 4.7 low speed gear looks normal.  I know my issue is coming from the shift collar not staying in place on the gear but I'm not sure why. I did get new pocket and needle bearings to compare, since they were cheap, but doesn't seem much different to the original.

The mechanic that has my case doesn't like how one side of the teeth appears to have some wear on it compared to the other side.  I talked with Marlins shop and TG and both said it's normal to see some where on these teeth.  Do these look normal?

nadams86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »
Here's a couple more pictures, one with the gear on the output shaft. 

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »
Looks perfectly normal to me. Is your detent ball and spring in properly?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

nadams86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »
Do you mean the alignment of the detent ball and rail notch? what would you say is the best way of confirming that?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:41:24 AM »
Yes. Put it together and see if it looks and feels correct would be my only suggestion unfortunately.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

7m4x4dude

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2019, 11:01:12 PM »
Where you able to resolve your concerns?

I'm having issues with my duals shifting into hi. I have no issues with low or neutral.
And while searching my concern found yours and a few others who had 4.7 shifting concerns. Most were old posts. Turns out old Marlin gears didn't have a 2* taper to the gear hub. This would allow the unloaded gear hub to slide off the gear"pop out"
The new gears have this updated design.