Author Topic: 300k's "build"  (Read 22693 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: 300k's "build"
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:21:42 AM »
I have always been haunted by Glen's acceleration video with the stage 2 cam, so I am trying to branch out in that direction for my current cam choice which is intended more for a hot street application. 

Both those cams look pretty nasty compared to the limited specs I have on the Putney 282 and Jim thought that was pretty strung out for a 4x4 unless it was on the lighter side.  I am using it in the '80, which is pretty light and will have small tires and plenty of low gearing (32" tires and 5.29 gears) so I think I'll be good.  If I hate he 282 in the 4WD pickup I will just go back to a stock profile with the adjustable cam gear anyway ad save that one for a 2WD or a Celica.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those LCE cams but if you plan to stick with the stock carb you should maybe choose the lesser of the two cams.  I love the aisan and it can be dialed up, but after trying both these Webers have them beat hands down for tunability.

Another angle is this...  If you plan to set up lower gearing, go with the more aggressive cam, if you plan to keep your 4.10s, then choose the one more dialed to bottom end.

By all means though, go with your gut and let us know how it is when you drive it.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018, 11:36:30 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:51:28 AM »
I like, shiny!  I've installed both 1200 and 1600 lb clutches, didn't notice a difference in either one really, but never had a slip in my personal 1200lb. yes, agree with all oem seals and gaskets. rocker cover clearance should be easy if you have a little grinder that sneaks in there, there are just two spots towards front near oil cap end... as far as cam, I have no opinion, make it lope, lol.  Ohh, Dilly Dilly!

I already have a full evergreen kit that I hope to use most of. after tearing apart the previous owners rebuild, it seems you don't need good quality gaskets if you have a couple tubes of RTV lol.

Both those cams look pretty nasty compared to the limited specs I have on the Putney 282 and Jim thought that was pretty strung out for a 4x4 unless it was on the lighter side.  I am using it in the '80, which is pretty light and will have small tires and plenty of low gearing so I think I'll be good.  If I hate he 282 in the pickup I will just go back to a stock profile with the adjustable cam gear.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those cams but if you plan to stick with the stock carb you should maybe choose the lesser of the two cams.  Another angle is this...  If you plan to set up lower gearing, go with the more aggressive cam, if you plan to keep your 4.10s, then choose the one more dialed to bottom end.

By all means though, go with your gut and let us know how it is when you drive it.

all I care about is safety of the top end. I don't care if it drives awful, as long as it doesn't wreck stuff lol. I don't think a .460 lift cam would have too much issue with the port work and valve springs, and the fact I usually don't turn too many RPMs. I'm going to write to 22REP and ask them what they think. I plan to go to a 4.88 gear to make room for 33s. LCE says on their page "The broad mid range this cam provides makes it a great upgrade for anything from a daily driver up to a rock crawler or even a mild race application." so it doesn't sound super nasty unusable like they were saying when I contacted them.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
Yeah I guess the main thing is if the .460 lift is a piston smacker or not.   :crazy:

I think a lot of the time they get people who don't rev their 22r up whining about cams.  I have a buddy who swears his 22r won't pull this one hill over 35 mph but I drove his rig up it at 56 mph.  Of course I was in 3rd gear and I think he tries it in 4th.

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018, 12:24:46 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:10:51 PM »
Yeah I guess the main thing is if the .460 lift is a piston smacker or not.   :crazy:

I think a lot of the time they get people who don't rev their 22r up whining about cams.  I have a buddy who sears his 22r won't pull this one hill over 35 mph but I drove his rig up it at 56 mph.  Of course I was in 3rd gear and I think he tries it in 4th.

That happened with you and I. I tried to pull that grade in 4th and you dropped a gear and wound her out and pulled so hard.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:56:35 PM »

I think a lot of the time they get people who don't rev their 22r up whining about cams.  I have a buddy who swears his 22r won't pull this one hill over 35 mph but I drove his rig up it at 56 mph.  Of course I was in 3rd gear and I think he tries it in 4th.

It takes a pretty solid grade to drag you down in 3rd gear. I can pull most any highway grade at about 60 depending on how much I want to rev it up. High altitude like in Colorado is another story. Pulled my 85 into second on the I70 passes. 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »
 :popcorn:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:49:24 PM »
you all have seen my video on Youtube and my truck has sliders made of .250 wall tube.  my front bumperis made from 1/4 inch plate and 3/8 plate in the center section then the warn 9000 winch. and the 1/4 wall square tube i have as a headache rack/light post and the rear bumper has three feet of 3 inch C channel driven into the rear of the frame as far as it would go with a 8 pound sledge hammer on both sides. then another piece across the back as a bumper.
the truck weighs 4500 with me and a spare tire. no tools or anything.
keep that in mind when I tell you with the .460 lift cam https://www.lceperformance.com/Stage-2-Camshaft-20R-22R-RE-RET-p/1022036.htm     I can be rolling along at idle on a hard pack gravel road clutch all the way out and engaged and with my left foot on the slider,  stomp the go pedal and sling gravel thirty feet behind me (broke out the headlights on my son in laws 4runner)  :_oops:
As far as valve cover,  I had to use a 22RE 85+ valve cover because the old 20R cover and the 22R cover were getting hit by the adjusters on the rocker arms.

also get yourself some modeling clay in a craft store only a small amount,  make a pancake out of it that fits over the top of the piston, 1/4 inch thick should do.  install your piston with no rings but with rod bearings then put your head on only snug.   tighten the adjusters so you have only about .001" to no clearance and then roll the crank over if you feel any binding  STOP and remove the head.   If no binding then continue around twice.  remove the head and look for the indentions in the clay from the valves.   use a dull knife and cut the clay crossways through the indention and measure how close the valve came to the piston.   anything closer than .100" and you need to notch the piston if you have more than that then you are good to go.

I highly recommend Marlins 1200lb clutch kit but NOT the ceramic one. 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:43:35 AM »
And yeah, that right there.    :thumbs: If you do stuff that he says your truck will go faster.
– Steve McQueen

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »
you all have seen my video on Youtube and my truck has sliders made of .250 wall tube.  my front bumperis made from 1/4 inch plate and 3/8 plate in the center section then the warn 9000 winch. and the 1/4 wall square tube i have as a headache rack/light post and the rear bumper has three feet of 3 inch C channel driven into the rear of the frame as far as it would go with a 8 pound sledge hammer on both sides. then another piece across the back as a bumper.
the truck weighs 4500 with me and a spare tire. no tools or anything.
keep that in mind when I tell you with the .460 lift cam https://www.lceperformance.com/Stage-2-Camshaft-20R-22R-RE-RET-p/1022036.htm     I can be rolling along at idle on a hard pack gravel road clutch all the way out and engaged and with my left foot on the slider,  stomp the go pedal and sling gravel thirty feet behind me (broke out the headlights on my son in laws 4runner)  :_oops:
As far as valve cover,  I had to use a 22RE 85+ valve cover because the old 20R cover and the 22R cover were getting hit by the adjusters on the rocker arms.

also get yourself some modeling clay in a craft store only a small amount,  make a pancake out of it that fits over the top of the piston, 1/4 inch thick should do.  install your piston with no rings but with rod bearings then put your head on only snug.   tighten the adjusters so you have only about .001" to no clearance and then roll the crank over if you feel any binding  STOP and remove the head.   If no binding then continue around twice.  remove the head and look for the indentions in the clay from the valves.   use a dull knife and cut the clay crossways through the indention and measure how close the valve came to the piston.   anything closer than .100" and you need to notch the piston if you have more than that then you are good to go.

I highly recommend Marlins 1200lb clutch kit but NOT the ceramic one. 

Thank you, Glen! which pistons are you running? the 22R dog dish pistons or the 22RE flat tops?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »
Thank you, Glen! which pistons are you running? the 22R dog dish pistons or the 22RE flat tops?

it's the tall 81 22R block so yes they are the dog dish.   I did have to clearance them.  will get a pic of that asap
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:35:33 PM »
the early Celica's late 82 83 and early 84 had efi and I was told by Toysport that those pistons looked identical to 20R pistonsI have never had the money to order a set just to see or locate a motor from one to investigate but :dunno:  I think if you found a set for a tall block it would be like having a 92mm bore 20R

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:02:21 PM »
it's the tall 81 22R block so yes they are the dog dish.   I did have to clearance them.  will get a pic of that asap

alright, thanks! 22REP told me (paraphrasing here) that with a medium lift cam, you have to clearance the crap outta the dog dish pistons, and with the RE pistons I shouldn't have an issue if I keep it under ~0.480" lift. He told me not to run the stage 2 cam (as he usually will until I tell him what I'm building) because it won't be happy with EFI and it won't be optimal for crawling. I don't have EFI and I seldom 4 wheel, I also plan to gear down to a 90:1 crawl ratio.

And with that, it looks like I have chosen my cam. LC Engineering Stage 2 camshaft will be ordered. Probably next sale even though the 24 dollars I save doesn't cover tax+shipping.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:19:11 PM »
with shipping to Arkansas my cost was $267   but in AZ you probably wont have that much in shipping

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:23:44 PM »
with shipping to Arkansas my cost was $267   but in AZ you probably wont have that much in shipping

their shipping is higher than it should be, and with that we also have sales tax. 240.00 + 18.50 (shipping) + 19.00 (sales tax) = 277.50

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:17:51 PM »
 :smack: dang that sucks.   might be cheaper to drive

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
here's the pic of my number 1 piston clearancing

:tantrum:
"Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 1120 KB."
I need to talk to BigMike about  this.

the 1.5 on the piston indicates the 1.5 mm or .060 oversize

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:19:17 PM »
alright, thanks! (paraphrasing here) I seldom 4 wheel
:smack:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:05:17 AM »
Today is Presidents day, which gave me 24 dollars off on my Stage 2 camshaft order

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
WOW,  why didnt they tell me to order on a holiday :ack:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
WOW,  why didnt they tell me to order on a holiday :ack:

If it were a liberal holiday sale you would have to pay for whatever the person ahead of you wanted and in turn would know that that the next person would be stuck with your bill.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:30:56 AM »
Cam is here.

They gave me a disclaimer for the race against gnarls

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:18:40 PM »
Cam is here.

They gave me a disclaimer for the race against gnarls

:eyebrow:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »
did they send you a catalog??

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »
did they send you a catalog??

Yep, the new 2018 catalog

AZ Rockit

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2955
  • Male Posts: 95
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #54 on: Apr 25, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
Get to work! :greengrin:
82 Long bed, 22r with 83 celica EFI, 31s
84 Xtra cab, 22r, Chevy springs, 31s
85 4Runner, 3rz, R151F, 244:1, 37s
85 Long bed, 22re Performance Stage 2 engine, 32s
85 Short bed, 22r
89 4Runner on a 94 truck chassis, just a roller (Montana Runner)

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2018, 09:38:44 AM »
You can do it!  Just start making tiny progress every day, just one thing a day.  We all want to see how you like that nazdee cam.

– Steve McQueen

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
You can do it!  Just start making tiny progress every day, just one thing a day.  We all want to see how you like that nazdee cam.

Hello, yes sorry. I've been busy with other things, including that we've recently been over run by RATS, as seen in this picture!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »
Hello, yes sorry. I've been busy with other things, including that we've recently been over run by RATS, as seen in this picture!

Haha I forgot you were the cat lady!   :gap:  New kittens again?

Remind me to tell you the story of the nasty old lady who used to come in the grocery store I worked at in a two piece swim suit and ask us to fab her a "kitty carrier" out of cardboard boxes so she could take fluffy on the bus.   Well actually that's pretty much the story.  I'll leave the details to your imagination but it was always the joke on the new guy to take care of the "cat lady".
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2018, 08:43:00 AM »
Any progress 300K-san?  Wax on, wax off...
– Steve McQueen

300k [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
Any progress 300K-san?  Wax on, wax off...

:rofl: