Author Topic: New truck, '17 Taco  (Read 2554 times)

sassparilla_kid

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 67
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New truck, '17 Taco
« on: Jul 11, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »
So since I have been lagging on rebuilding the engine in my '86 pickup and my dad wanted his car back, and that was gonna leave me with nothing to drive, I decided I had to go get a new pickup. 2017 Tacoma SR, access cab, 4cyl, 5 speed, 4x4. Pretty basic truck, didn't even come with a hitch receiver (I have since changed that.) Anyway, currently looking to put in a CB and am considering my options. For the radio I'm thinking a Cobra 25 LX mounted along the transmission hump in the passenger footwell, but as for antenna mounting I'm not really sure?? I'd like to do a toolbox type mount but my box is mounted all the way at the front of the bed so I'm either gonna have a tab sticking out the side of the truck or have one sticking forward between the bed and cab, and not really sure if there would be enough clearance to prevent rubbing during movement (potholes, rough roads, off-road, etc). On my '86 I just welded a tab near the top of the headache rack but no rack on this truck, and I don't really care for the idea of a magnet mount (or a hood/ fender type mount either)

Here's the truck

Potential radio mounting location

Enough clearance for an antenna mount?
'86 4X4 turbo turd pickup (soon to be non-turbo)
'17 Tacoma SR 4X4 (access cab, 4cyl, 5 speed)

sassparilla_kid [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: New truck, '17 Taco
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »
Anybody know if they use the same wiring harness on all the trim levels? I want to put fog lights on my SR, be nice if the wiring was already hooked up in the fuse panel and all I needed was the lights and switch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »
Shouldn't be too hard to peek your noggin under there and look. I would bet if it didn't have the harness for the lights hanging then it is an option you can get and it plugs right into the existing headlight harness.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

sassparilla_kid [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:33:52 AM »
Shouldn't be too hard to peek your noggin under there and look. I would bet if it didn't have the harness for the lights hanging then it is an option you can get and it plugs right into the existing headlight harness.
Yeah there's a plug behind the grill right in the middle I suspect might be for the fogs, looking in the fuse/relay box under the hood there's a fuse in the fog position, the fog relay is missing but it looks like the wiring is there. Now I just gotta figure out where the switch wiring is (if it's there), the owner's manual looks like it shows another spot on the stalk for fog lights so I'm guessing the wiring for it might be integrated there. This is what I'm looking at getting

https://www.mbautoonline.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=Tacoma&product_id=370

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk