Author Topic: Lets be honest does someone really need a 30 spline birfield?  (Read 6815 times)

TRox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 113
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Dec '16
  • 109:1
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Ill soon be diving into the front axle, im curioud if i really need to spend 800 on a rcv. Running 35s right now e locked on stock shafts will no issues yet. Max might be a 37 later on but need some rock sliders and cage or roll bar next on the list.
94 Toyota 2wd SAS,w59, 23 spline duals, 5.29s, elocked, 35x12.50.
52k miles.
IG: Twindle_

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
No you don't need them. You don't need life insurance either. You'll probably not die.  :screwy:

TRox [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Okay, so I'm looking for a proven cheaper alternative
52k miles.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Okay, so I'm looking for a proven cheaper alternative

There are a few things not to go cheap on with these trucks. Axle shafts is number one. Bite the bullet and get a RCV. They can be had for $612 here: http://www.jesterfab.com/collections/toyota/products/rcv-300m-chromoly-birfield-axle-set

TRox [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Ill willl book mark it and probably end up going with the best. I like the piece of mind, but I also dont beat on my truck and dont bind my stuff up like ive seen. Real quick do door add much cab safty in a roll over situation? I want to get them off in the spring.
52k miles.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
RCV's are a must have!  :twocents:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Ill willl book mark it and probably end up going with the best. I like the piece of mind, but I also dont beat on my truck and dont bind my stuff up like ive seen. Real quick do door add much cab safty in a roll over situation? I want to get them off in the spring.

Honestly they are pop cans with or without the doors.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Don't skimp on axles. I have og bobbys in all of my rigs. Never broke one. I've killed numerous stock birfs. I would say yes the doors do help a little. But not enough to justify sweating your butt of when it's hot. I prefer tube doors. Also a good option is a small cage or at least a hoop behind the cab.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

TRox [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Thanks for the reply guys, I kinda wanted to get a in cab cage but not sure yet on that, got some sliders on order right now. Just relized my truck has the pimp lean to passenger side, pad is welded on the drivers side and ended up leaning passenger after settling ha! What bs. Rcv and go ahead and save and get the hub set to? All these little things that keep happening. Something is always acting up. But its all worth it when you get to the trail!
52k miles.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply guys, I kinda wanted to get a in cab cage but not sure yet on that, got some sliders on order right now. Just relized my truck has the pimp lean to passenger side, pad is welded on the drivers side and ended up leaning passenger after settling ha! What bs. Rcv and go ahead and save and get the hub set to? All these little things that keep happening. Something is always acting up. But its all worth it when you get to the trail!

Welcome to the sickness  :ha_ha:

79chevy39.5s

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 197
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I run trailgear longfields. I got them on closeout pricing before the gun drilled came out i build on a budget so i chose what i could. My first gen has 27 spline longs in it.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
IMHO my answer is yes you need them. Considering the first Birfield I blew was a low speed backing up in camp on flat ground. It screwed up the ball and took the splines off the stock shaft. Worth the money, yep!! :gap:
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

TRox [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Thanks for the input guys, I debated selling my truck but then realized I would regret that for the rest of my life. I got rock sliders in the garage needing paint and welded on, any cage ideas? I thought about an exo off the sliders and down to the stinger In hope that it would save the pillars in a roll over. Next on the list is front shafts and cage and its closer to being done. I was thinking of going with a tube camper with a canvas top. Any recommendations on the interior? Carpet or bed line?
52k miles.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Gotrocks had chromoly upgraded front axles on his first gen 4Runner on 37s and he broke them both plus one of the stock replacements in two days in Moab. He wasn't easy on it, but wasn't abusing it either. He had the original Longfields overnighted (currently RCV is the equivalent) and saved the trip. He tried to save some cash with the chromoly shafts and it didn't work out for him at all. I have successfully run 33s with a Trutrac limited slip in the front of my 85 truck with success but did original Longfields when I did the Aussie Locker and 35s.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

TRox [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Ordered some RCV's last night with other fun stuff.
52k miles.

TRox [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Arp knuckle studs and hub studs, hopefully these axles are shimmed correctly and it will be a breeze. Im gonna do the camo method seemed to be the best way.
52k miles.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
If you haven't gotten into the front axle before I'd recommend tearing it all down to get a good look at every part

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Absolutely agree with Mudder.

knapp870

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Oct '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have gun drilled 30 spline in my rig on 37 stickies behind an LS and Atlas and so far hold up great other than stripping splines once