4 (30.8%)
Copper/brass
5 (38.5%)
Cheap
1 (7.7%)
Bacon & onion marmalade!
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: What radiator to buy?  (Read 11785 times)

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
What radiator to buy?
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »
Just about finished with a simple replace the timing chain cover and everything else while I'm at it project. I ended up with a fully rebuilt 22re motor and significantly lighter pockets!
I am just about done so I figured I would take the radiator to get cleaned, it's all rotted inside they say. I don't want to go with cheap plastic doodoo.

I've narrowed it down to aluminum http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota-off-road-parts/79-95-4runner-hilux-pickup/engine-upgrade/1984-1990-toyota-pickup-22r-22re-2lt-a-t-m-t-economy-all-aluminum-radiator-teu-are.html

Or brass http://www.carparts.com/details/CSF/Radiator/CSF2314.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=CMLX-sLjr9ECFYeVfgodZ2gLRw&gclsrc=aw.ds

The 4runner is clean and wont be getting modified and probably wont get offroad much after i sell it :driving: :greengrin: It is auto and the rebuild is slightly better than stock. The prices are about the same for either one so price dosent really come into play.

Which one would you buy?

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: What radiator to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »
Based on your description. Copper brass all the way, But that's just me.  :twocents:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:19:08 AM »
I like the copper/brass as well. But I'm all the type of guy who took his copper heater core to a radiator shop to repair the leak rather than spend the same amount if money for an aluminum replacement..

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
I like the copper/brass as well. But I'm all the type of guy who took his copper heater core to a radiator shop to repair the leak rather than spend the same amount if money for an aluminum replacement..

Makes perfect sense to Me,  :greengrin:
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
Aluminium dissipates heat better than copper does. The plastic ones aren't as bad as people say. The one I'm running is 3 years old and has been through a couple wrecks that should've killed it.

knucklebuster [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
I put a plastic one in my tacoma after the last plastic one cracked at the top.. I replaced ALL the coolant hoses with oem on this motor, the little stuff is just nickel and dimeing me to death. I figured I'd go copper/brass for longevity but the cheapskate in me says hmm plastic!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
I put a plastic one in my tacoma after the last plastic one cracked at the top.. I replaced ALL the coolant hoses with oem on this motor, the little stuff is just nickel and dimeing me to death. I figured I'd go copper/brass for longevity but the cheapskate in me says hmm plastic!
You can total go Plastic with out worry. Almost every vehicle made today has the plastic style radiator. There are tons of them on the road and they are working just fine.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2017, 11:31:08 AM by :)bestgen4runner »

knucklebuster [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
I tend to go oem or overkill things like this. I spent a ton of money @ 22reperformance on machine work, rebuild parts,  and buying all the little stuff. I even said wth and powdercoated the valve cover.

I guess it comes down to preference, plastic has a great price and will probably last. My tacoma rad looked to be original so it lasted around 20 yrs. The one in my other 86 4runner is still kicking @ 30 years. Still undecided, but I think i can get a plastic one for damn near free so I might do that till my pocket recovers.

On a side note I'm heading to the store to buy 4#s of onions!
http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/11/onion-bacon-marmalade.html?m=1  :yesnod:

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »
Brass / copper so you can fix small leaks yourself with plumbers torch.
(You can't do this with aluminum)

You have to soft mount (like they do now with new cars) aluminum or it will eventually fatigue crack.     
(I don't know if it's frame flex, vibration, or something else that causes this)

You can also fit a larger than stock radiator.............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »
I do not know if they still make them, but my 80 has a very large 3 row Wolverine that was built for an 86 I picked up.  Took some persuasion to fit, and it looks not so good anymore, but still cools like a sumbitch after about 17 years.  Last time I had it in the radiator shop to check it out they told me to never get rid of it, and that was after a large buck hit me at about 60 mph.  Fan has kissed it hard twice without leaks, too

Edit: I don't have any pics of just the radiator
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2017, 10:03:12 AM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
Aluminium dissipates heat better than copper does. The plastic ones aren't as bad as people say. The one I'm running is 3 years old and has been through a couple wrecks that should've killed it.

Copper has higher thermal conductivity than aluminum. This means that it can absorb and dissapate (transfer) heat faster and more eventually than aluminum.

The reason car manufacturers are using aluminum is because of cost.

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:31:17 PM »
http://www.cgj.com/2013/07/16/aluminum-vs-copper-brass-radiator-final-thoughts/

So yes, I'm not right with aluminium dissipating heat better than copper, but the aluminium will last longer and not have the same effects as a brass rad.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2017, 12:55:06 PM by Mudder »

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »
I have had copper/brass and my current V6 rad is plastic and aluminum and it is superior to anything I have ran, only because it holds more coolant.  With that in mind, while I like the idea of brass/copper for field fixes I don't think the thermal conductivity of the radiator material is that big of a deal, since the coolant and the air flowing through it are what is really doing the work.

I guess what I am trying to say is the best radiator is bigger than your stock radiator, whatever it is made of :).
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 07:59:03 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Mario

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »
I install a double core, brass radiator in my 84 yota when I went fuel injection 22RE. I've had it for 6 plus years, never overheated and it bolts right in, no modification needed.
1984 Toyota Pickup, EFI with duel cases, 5.29's in the diffs, 4" Trailer HD leafs in the front, Chevy's with 3" blocks and a track bar/pan hard bar in the rear with full exo cage.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
I have had copper/brass and my current V6 rad is plastic and aluminum and it is superior to anything I have ran, only because it holds more coolant.  With that in mind, while I like the idea of brass/copper for field fixes I don't think the thermal conductivity of the radiator material is that big of a deal, since the coolant and the air flowing through it are what is really doing the work.

I guess what I am trying to say is the best radiator is bigger than your stock radiator, whatever it is made of :).

Any idea how much fluid it holds?  Just finished painting mine and could fill and measure how much it holds for fun
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »
Brass/copper V6 radiator in my 1985 22R truck and have the original belt driven fan and a pair of electric fans to help during the heat of summer when my no AC truck that now has an AC system makes the engine run warmer than I feel comfortable with.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
Brass/copper V6 radiator in my 1985 22R truck and have the original belt driven fan and a pair of electric fans to help during the heat of summer when my no AC truck that now has an AC system makes the engine run warmer than I feel comfortable with.
Could You post a link to the  pair of fans for Me?

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:00:31 PM »
Could You post a link to the  pair of fans for Me?
I bought the fans from eBay and it was a year ago so I can't access a link for you, I am sorry but, they are two 10" fans in relay to my ac compressor so when I turn on the compressor, the fans come on.
They are Hayden brand fans and I also have a large pair of them in my 1970 Chevelle Nomad.

This is the radiator I put in my 1985 standard transmission truck, a 3 core I scored from Amazon for $209.00 and it is a perfect upgrade from the 1995 plastic automatic transmission cooler equipped 2 core that came with my truck when I bought it but, was not up to the task once I turned on the air conditioning.
fasterspider, now older and slower.