Author Topic: Rear axle relocation on 3rd gen standard cab pickup  (Read 4382 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Rear axle relocation on 3rd gen standard cab pickup
« on: Dec 13, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
What's the furthest back I can move my rear axle with chevy 63s?

I'm hoping I can move it 6.5" back, since that's how much duals adds (I think), and not only would it be cheaper to keep the stock rear driveline, it will also serve to move the rear axle away from my cab so that I can fit larger than 33s.

Any other leaf swap options I should consider?
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
F-150 springs are a better bet. There is a lot of threads on pirate about them. That is the route I was going to take until I realized it was going to be more time and money then I want to put into a rig that I'm already ready to move on from. Honestly though you would better off just linking it. Will future proof you, place axle wherever you want, crazy flex, etc. etc.

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Do you believe the same applies to the front axle?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Do you believe the same applies to the front axle?

same applies in what regard? That linking is best choice?

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Yeah. Was considering using rufs with my SAS, but now I'm wondering if a 3 link is a more efficient use of my resources..

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Yeah. Was considering using rufs with my SAS, but now I'm wondering if a 3 link is a more efficient use of my resources..

Yes. If I had it to do over again I would have just linked it.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I use 63s and I think I was able to get something like 3" back from stock with the shackle hanger way out on the end of the frame rail.  Any more than that and I would have put the shackles on something else.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
I use 63s and I think I was able to get something like 3" back from stock with the shackle hanger way out on the end of the frame rail.  Any more than that and I would have put the shackles on something else.
What if I weld the rear shackle hangers on top of the frame rails, the way you would with a rally leaf under setup...

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
We did one years ago with a 2x3" cross-member welded on the back of the frame and put the shackles hangers on the back of it.  That got us an extra couple inches of stretch ad the truck was nice and low  It was a 1st gen with a flat bed so that kind of helped.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
So I'm now leaning away from the link idea. The cost and hassle paired with the fact that I'm going to keep this a daily driving rig all tells me that the most cost effective solution is to swap in longer leafs. Heck, if I can find some leafs that lift, move the axle back and bolt into the stock mounts, that'd be great