Author Topic: Air Intake 22re  (Read 8536 times)

SO Teen

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -25
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
Air Intake 22re
« on: Oct 28, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »
I'm just wondering what you guys have for air intakes and filters and how much you paid for them. I don't have a bunch of money and am looking how to spend the least amount of money on a food intake. I thought about piecing one together off Amazon but i don't know yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just looking for some help on building my first Yota!!!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Air Intake 22re
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2016, 03:45:28 PM »
Doesn't make much of a difference for a 22RE........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »
I'm just wondering what you guys have for air intakes and filters and how much you paid for them. I don't have a bunch of money and am looking how to spend the least amount of money on a food intake. I thought about piecing one together off Amazon but i don't know yet

What motor?
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2016, 04:42:25 PM »
What motor?

2.4L 22re

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »
Don't waste your money.  Buy a quality filter and keep it clean.  The amazon/ebay "cold air" intakes breath hot engine air, negating any advantage drawn from the extra breathability.  You'll hear it and may convince yourself you're picked up power, but that's about where it'll end.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »
If you are doing it for anything other than it sounds cool, you are wasting your $. If you just want the it sounds cool, then get an adapter and a filter.....

I put a filter adapter and a filter on my lancer. it is now a short ram. yes it gets warm engine compartment air, but while actually driving, the engine air isn't that much hotter than ambient air temp.... I didn't do it for power, I did it for the I am cool and did a mod and the BAWWWWHHHHHHHHHH sound..... My gas mileage has stayed the same... I do feel that it pulls harder and longer now, but it could jsut be that I leave it in a gear longer to hear the BBBBBBBAAAAAAAWWWWWWHHHHHHHHH sound.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2016, 08:22:21 PM »
Don't waste your money.  Buy a quality filter and keep it clean.  The amazon/ebay "cold air" intakes breath hot engine air, negating any advantage drawn from the extra breathability.  You'll hear it and may convince yourself you're picked up power, but that's about where it'll end.

So get a good quality air filter? They are all near $200 and that is a lot that's why I'm wondering if there is anything cheaper that works pretty close to just as good

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 229
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Conquering the toughest malls.
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »
Battery/intake swap.  Pull in from the fender.  Done. 

You want to get crazy, find a supra AFM and swap that in then open up your exhaust. 

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2016, 06:30:54 AM »
Stock airbox, stock filter, intake moved to breath from the cowl under the windshield.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »
So get a good quality air filter? They are all near $200 and that is a lot that's why I'm wondering if there is anything cheaper that works pretty close to just as good

You can do as OOPS says, or what I'm saying is use a quality air filter in the stock box/location.  I've run several different brand air filters, from the cheapest to the best house brands and a k&n.  None, not one, gave me more power pulling the hill to work or any noticed difference in anything else.  I usually run a napa gold or something, just don't waste your money on a fram
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2016, 05:07:30 PM »
I have a K&N sitting in my garage if you want it. I tried a K&N, then i tried the eBay ram intake, now I have this because I have dual batteries.

I like this the best, and I'm working on a passenger side snorkel to pull in colder air when I'm crawlin.. right now my electric fan just rams hot air into that back corner..

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2016, 05:45:55 PM »
I have a K&N sitting in my garage if you want it. I tried a K&N, then i tried the eBay ram intake, now I have this because I have dual batteries.

I like this the best, and I'm working on a passenger side snorkel to pull in colder air when I'm crawlin.. right now my electric fan just rams hot air into that back corner..

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Is it the full air intake? or just the filter? How much would you want for it?

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2016, 02:31:23 AM »
Is it the full air intake? or just the filter? How much would you want for it?

It's just the filter insert for the stock intake box. Honestly, unless you're going to do dual batteries, just keep the stock box. It's not really worth the headache and "feels" to 'upgrade' these. The engineers did really good with the tech they were working with. Heck, even with today's intake 'mods', there's really not much room for improvement... The K&N filter DOES have more surface area though, which allows more air flow than stock. I remember I did the calculation, I can't find the data I recorded though.. (d'oh!)

But if you're interested, I'd ship it CONUS to ya for $15. I think it's about $8 or 12 for a flat rate box... heck, I'll clean it for ya too :D
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2016, 04:58:34 PM »
It's just the filter insert for the stock intake box. Honestly, unless you're going to do dual batteries, just keep the stock box. It's not really worth the headache and "feels" to 'upgrade' these. The engineers did really good with the tech they were working with. Heck, even with today's intake 'mods', there's really not much room for improvement... The K&N filter DOES have more surface area though, which allows more air flow than stock. I remember I did the calculation, I can't find the data I recorded though.. (d'oh!)

But if you're interested, I'd ship it CONUS to ya for $15. I think it's about $8 or 12 for a flat rate box... heck, I'll clean it for ya too :D

Could you post a picture of it so that I can see if we are talking about the same thing. I'm new to this so before I buy it from you I just want to make sure. Thank you

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2016, 02:21:32 AM »
Could you post a picture of it so that I can see if we are talking about the same thing. I'm new to this so before I buy it from you I just want to make sure. Thank you

It's the K&N stock filter replacement. It looks like the stock rectangular air filter. Thought I texted you, but just saw this post, sorry.

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2016, 07:39:23 AM »
It's not a problem and yes I got your text thank you