Author Topic: I am at my wits end with my 84  (Read 3209 times)

spoolnaround

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I am at my wits end with my 84
« on: Aug 13, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »
Tired of searching and ready to blow this POS to bits.  I have an 84 4Runner that I put an 22re into.  87 wiring harness, everything matches up for an early 87.  I have a computer from an 86 or early 87 (later 87 has heated o2 sensor this harness does not support that).  I was pulling a code 11.  I replaced the tps as we could not get the old one adjusted to spec.  New tps is adjusted within spec but now pull a code 11 and 5.  I have paid way too much $$ to hear, "I dont know," and dont know where to look anymore.  Where else do I look?  Am I missing something here?  I am so f'n frustrated I dont know what to do.  Any ideas to check out?  I am in the Fresno area and need to go to the smog ref to register this thing.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: I am at my wits end with my 84
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2016, 05:37:22 PM »
Tired of searching and ready to blow this POS to bits.  I have an 84 4Runner that I put an 22re into.  87 wiring harness, everything matches up for an early 87.  I have a computer from an 86 or early 87 (later 87 has heated o2 sensor this harness does not support that).  I was pulling a code 11.  I replaced the tps as we could not get the old one adjusted to spec.  New tps is adjusted within spec but now pull a code 11 and 5.  I have paid way too much $$ to hear, "I dont know," and dont know where to look anymore.  Where else do I look?  Am I missing something here?  I am so f'n frustrated I dont know what to do.  Any ideas to check out?  I am in the Fresno area and need to go to the smog ref to register this thing.

I don't know how much research you've done...

Just suggesting some help..

It may be an O2 sensor.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TroubleCodes/

Here's a description on testing an O2 sensor...

http://www.wikituneup.com/wikit/1994_Toyota_22RE_Test_Oxygen_Sensor

I would disconnect the battery cable for a couple minutes and reconnect it to if it still throws a code.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2016, 07:11:53 PM »
My 87 did this due to a short in the wiring going to the O2 sensor... fried a TPS as well. My 89 did the same thing
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
I haven't looked up what those codes are but I would verify you have the correct ecu. Also, like said above, it could be the wiring itself. Make sure there are no issues in the wiring cercuit in question.

I too have an 84 with with fi and all wiring and ecu from an 86 I believe. I have some obvious issues, possibly tps, but never a code.

spoolnaround [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »
Thanks guys I think you have me going in the right direction.  I am pretty confident I have the correct ecu.  I was thinking I had replaced the O2 sensor during my swap but no I have the one from a donor 85 which is different part # wise as an 86 or 87.  I will post what I come up with when I install it.

BoG-Toy where was your short?  was it in your harness or wire coming off O2?  The first Tps was brand new but it would not adjust to spec in the very begining so.... 

Thanks Gnarly any ideas at this time help.  I have pulled the fuse to the ecu each time.  I have had a couple of days to cool off but I have been fighting this thing for a few months and taken it to the shop with negative results.  At Rock auto's price of 20.79 for a new Denso O2 I will just replace it.  I dont want to buy another ND tps at $120 a pop.

spoolnaround [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2016, 12:20:26 PM »
Replaced o2 last night and the code 5 is gone.  Still have a code 11. ??  Which ac switch is the manual referring to when it stated defective ac switch?

spoolnaround [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »
The more I think about it I must have a bad wire as the ecu isn't receiving the info it wants past 1k rpm.  I guess I left that info out, code only pops after 1k rpm.  When the rpms drop under 1k I get a code 1 indicating all is good.  So it makes sense the ecu isn't receiving info in the off idle circuit.

Smithk2ski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Member since Oct '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2016, 03:52:34 PM »
o2...

spoolnaround [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »
Bad ECU.  I bought a rebuilt unit runs great no codes.  The only problem I ran into was it had to go to the smog ref because I put fuel injection on it and well the smog ref failed me for due to the computer didnt have a label on it.