Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392739 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #420 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:20:16 AM »
Now look up the bearing numbers (I think they're different) and spend about $5 a bearing.........

no-brainer is now changing the bearings yourself......

(change the brushes while you're at it,   I'm guessing $10)

OK, I can do more research.  I don't mind rebuilding it, if it's reasonable.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:29:29 AM »
Hey Gnarly,
I just caught My first peek at the truck itself. The picture of the load leveler, In the back ground.
I like it a lot. Clean white 1986 ext cab.  :bowdown: Looks Good from what I have seen. Take good care of it your a lucky guy.  :thumbs:
There is something special about them extra cabs. I would love one as a daily driver. 3rz supercharged of coarse.
You know I just might have made a decision on My next daily driver.  :willynilly:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #422 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »
Hey Gnarly,
I just caught My first peek at the truck itself. The picture of the load leveler, In the back ground.
I like it a lot. Clean white 1986 ext cab.  :bowdown: Looks Good from what I have seen. Take good care of it your a lucky guy.  :thumbs:
There is something special about them extra cabs. I would love one as a daily driver. 3rz supercharged of coarse.
You know I just might have made a decision on My next daily driver.  :willynilly:

Hey :)bestgen4runner,

Thanks, yeah a looked for an early Toy truck between 1984 and 1988 for over a year. Had to fly to CA to buy this one in 2006. If I had a $10 bill for every Toyota truck I've seen being towed to Mexico (I live 2 hours for the Mexican boarder) I could spend a really nice 7-day vacation in Cabo!

Nice ones that are not hacked up are very rare, at least from my research.

This one is in extremely good condition.... and all stock! It even has orginal, rims, seats, interior, and rear bench screw-down knobs!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #423 on: Oct 31, 2016, 04:55:05 AM »
Update: 10-31-2016

Installed tranny and t-case yesterday.  I remember the first time I did a clutch job on my '85. I did it without a tranny jack!!... used a couple bottle jacks, blocks of wood, and some tie-down straps. I was stronger back then, and I wrestled that dang thing for quite awhile. I cannot image R&R'ing a tranny and t-case without a tranny jack. I bought it many years ago from Harbor Freight for $50 - best $50 tool I own.

Since I only replaced the driver side motor mount with a dealer one, my engine is tilted about 2 or 3 degrees towards the passenger side. I don't like it, so I will have to buy an new motor mount for the passenger side to hopefully get it level horizontally again.

I still have to order my new copper radiator.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #424 on: Nov 17, 2016, 10:18:04 AM »
UPDATE:  11-17-2016

I am moving forward slowly and want to be careful and make this rebuild project as successful as possible.

My truck has been sitting and stored for 3 years and 11 months. I am concerned that the gas that was in the tank (I believe it is empty now) has dried up and left nasty residue.  I imagine this tank is the original – 1986 – over 30 years old.

I know that the shelf life in a gas tank is around 3 months.

I do not want to put fresh gas into this tank and risk rust, sludge, and any particles that may plug up my freshly refurbished injectors, or causing any issues when I fire this rebuilt engine.

I have not removed or replaced a gas tank in any of my Toyota truck.

I am considering removing it and cleaning it with one of a number of fuel tank cleaning products.  I am also considering buying new fuel tank and replacing it.

I did some research on the net and viewed several videos on cleaning and removing gas tanks.

Has anyone of you guys cleaned or removed the gas tank on a Toyota truck?

Any comments, suggestions, or shared experiences will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Gnarls

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #425 on: Nov 17, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »
Find a radiator shop and drop off your tank. Should be about $75 bucks for them to clean it and line it. I did that with a place called Mac's radiator in Portland if you're interested in taking to someone about the process.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: Nov 17, 2016, 12:25:22 PM »
You might be a bit over concerned. I have brought several vehicles back from the dead. Many have been sitting longer than Your truck.
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #427 on: Nov 17, 2016, 01:39:17 PM »
You might be a bit over concerned. I have brought several vehicles back from the dead. Many have been sitting longer than Your truck.

Hi :)bestgen4runner,

Yes, I do suffer sometimes from H.A.S. (Hyper Analytical Syndrome).... however, I just don't want to deal with anything fuel related, especially out of a rusty or crusty gas tank.  I had an issue with a gas tank in my past and it was a very bad experience.

A new tank is between $110 and $250 dollars.  I do NOT want to remove it because I think it will be a bear to get out and back in.  Since it most likely has the original fuel pump, I am thinking of replacing it at the same time.

I am already way over my projected budget, but I do NOT want to FUBAR this project for the sake of saving a few hundred dollars!  My "desire" to work on my truck and be the garage-monkey I was for many years is disappearing like a roll of toilet paper at a Chili Cook-Off!  :yikes:  :laugh:

Gnarls.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: Nov 17, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
Take a look at Your tank, It very likely has a drain plug at the bottom. You could put a few gallons of fuel in then drain the tank and take a look.
You might have to remove the skid plate (easy) to access the drain plug.
Similar to this tank.  http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/4rz8u-toyota-previa-reg-drain-plug-the-fuel-tank-seal.html

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #429 on: Nov 17, 2016, 01:57:03 PM »
You may be able to clean it out in place.

The easiest way is to get to the fuel pump is to lift the bed off the frame.........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: Nov 17, 2016, 02:20:43 PM »
It's just not that bad to drop the tank or remove the bed.  I would get it loose and inspect it inside.  It's probably not that bad in there but you won't know unless you look.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #431 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:42:02 AM »
Take a look at Your tank, It very likely has a drain plug at the bottom. You could put a few gallons of fuel in then drain the tank and take a look.
You might have to remove the skid plate (easy) to access the drain plug.
Similar to this tank.  http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/4rz8u-toyota-previa-reg-drain-plug-the-fuel-tank-seal.html

I will pull the skid plate and see if there is a drain plug.  If there is, I can partially fill the tank some white vinegar and see what comes out.  If there is no drain plug, I might still be able to fill the tank and pump out the liquid, although if there are any rust particles, I don't think I can pump them out.

I may end up replacing the tank and the fuel pump... but then I have to research the quality of those parts that are available.  With so many "junk" aftermarket parts, I'm concerned about getting parts that are worse than the Toyota original.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #432 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:44:07 AM »
You may be able to clean it out in place.

The easiest way is to get to the fuel pump is to lift the bed off the frame.........

Has anyone replaced the fuel pump without removing the bed?

Gnarls.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #433 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:47:19 AM »
Has anyone replaced the fuel pump without removing the bed?

Gnarls.
Drop the tank. After the skid plate is off, it's 6 bolts, 2 vent lines and a high pressure line. Honestly, I've done it so many times, it's easier to drop the tank to clean it than to try to do it while it's stationary on the truck.

I've also removed and bolted my bed on about as many times.

Drop the tank. Way easier plus you can roll media around inside of it if you need to clean it out

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #434 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:50:14 AM »
It's just not that bad to drop the tank or remove the bed.  I would get it loose and inspect it inside.  It's probably not that bad in there but you won't know unless you look.

I envision some wiring to disconnect or cut.  How heavy is the bed?  Then, there are some rubber grommets that may need to be replaced?  Geezzz... the number of expense rows in my spreadsheet keeps growing!!!  :smack:

Gnarls.  :spin:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #435 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:54:25 AM »
Drop the tank. After the skid plate is off, it's 6 bolts, 2 vent lines and a high pressure line. Honestly, I've done it so many times, it's easier to drop the tank to clean it than to try to do it while it's stationary on the truck.

I've also removed and bolted my bed on about as many times.

Drop the tank. Way easier plus you can roll media around inside of it if you need to clean it out

Hey ExCabSwap,

OK, that sounds good - thank you.  I'll drop the tank and check it out.  Yeah, I viewed some DIYers on Youtube cleaning old gas tanks.  It may not be all that bad.  Should I replace the fuel pump while its dropped?

Gnarls.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #436 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:56:03 AM »
Let's say you get the bed off. Then you take the fuel pump hanger out and look in there and see a few flakes.. or something you don't want in there. How are you going to put anything inside and swash it around?

Also, the bolts holding the bed on could just as likely be rusted solid. Which means you'll have to sawzall ...

But also, taking the bed off would be a great opportunity to address the frame. Might as well coat the frame with bedliner while you're at it

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #437 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:56:53 AM »
Oops just saw your response after i finished posting my last one

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #438 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:59:01 AM »
It took 3 of us to lift the bed off my friend's (90 something) ford ranger.     Toyota bed should be about the same.    If I recall correctly, there's 4 attachments for the bed...

The advantage of taking the bed off is you can test everything before completing re-assembly.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #439 on: Nov 18, 2016, 03:01:06 AM »
At a minimum, I'd replace the pickup sock..............

Fuel Pump............ old well built toyota pump vs new (made in china) pump...........   I'd stay with the old pump.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: Nov 18, 2016, 07:19:28 AM »
Only Pump to buy is one from your Toyota dealer. The rest so so....
There is a high pressure line connection at the fuel pump that I have had lots of trouble with over the years. Be very carefull with the steel
line side of that connection. I prefer to remove the bed Because of this line and the lack of space to work with. The Nut that tightens the flare has a tendency to not want to spin on the line and the line will start to twist. This line runs from the tank to the engine. No body wants to replace that line.  :shakehead:
I have no experience with the aftermarket brand of fuel tanks but suspect they will not compare to the Toyota quality. (quality of steel, thickness of the steel, corrosion protection)

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #441 on: Nov 18, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
Only Pump to buy is one from your Toyota dealer. The rest so so....
There is a high pressure line connection at the fuel pump that I have had lots of trouble with over the years. Be very carefull with the steel
line side of that connection. I prefer to remove the bed Because of this line and the lack of space to work with. The Nut that tightens the flare has a tendency to not want to spin on the line and the line will start to twist. This line runs from the tank to the engine. No body wants to replace that line.  :shakehead:
I have no experience with the aftermarket brand of fuel tanks but suspect they will not compare to the Toyota quality. (quality of steel, thickness of the steel, corrosion protection)

Ok... good stuff!!

Thanks,

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #442 on: Nov 27, 2016, 10:46:14 AM »
UPDATE:  11-27-16

Never having drained a gas tank that sat for 4 years, I didn’t know what to expect.

6 bolts to drop the skid plate on the gas tank.  The drain plug was not leaking but surprisingly loose!

I placed my very handy **  https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-Drywall-Mud-Pans/1054711  **  under the tank and placed a 1 gallon plastic Ice tea jug with a large funnel inside it.  Tapping the tank it sounded empty, but it was not.

I left the gas cap on the filler neck, so the gas came out of the tank slowly, which allowed me to switch 6 jugs while it emptied.  So it only had about 6 ½ gallons of gasoline.

The gas was really stinky, but clean looking and zero residue or particles.

:)bestgen4runner was right, I was overly concerned, but I was prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.  So I had the tank drained, the greasy skid plate cleaned, and back on it a couple hours.

I hope to have my new motor mounts and radiator here by end of this week, my drive shafts installed, and the engine wired up by end of next week.  If I haven’t fired the engine by Christmas I’ll be disappointed, but it will then be my New Year’s resolution!

Gnarls. :spin:

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Nov 27, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »
Glad you found how easy it was to just drain and check instead of all that labor of tank removal (which was your best other option). Nice work so far. :thumbs:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #444 on: Dec 01, 2016, 01:57:21 PM »
UPDATE 12-1-2016

My motor mounts, disty o'rings, plug wire clips are on their way.  I picked up a radiator today.  I decided to try the aluminum and plastic caps  It's very light and the aluminum fins bend really easy.  I was only $79.42, so it is several hundred dollars less than the copper replacement.  I has 3 year warranty. I have never bought an aluminum radiator so I'm hoping this was a good decision and it cools like the copper version. :greengrin:

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #445 on: Dec 11, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »
UPDATE 12-11-16

I used my handy dandy Harbor Freight shop crane to lift my engine a little to remove and replace the motor mounts with the ones I bought from 22RE Performance.

I have attached some photos with some measurements.  The one with the crack is the one that I believe is the factory stock mount. The one on the passenger side did not have any delamination.  The driver side mount gets almost all of the torque and pull.

I looked at motor mounts from Autozone and O’Reilly. Autozone’s was junk, O’Rielly’s holes, center to center, where WAY off.

My new Toyoto Factory mount from top of stud to bottom of 2-bolt flange is 0.227” shorter than the replacement from 22RE Performance.  Although the 2-bolt mounting flange on 22RE Performance’s mount is .034” thinner than the factory flange, it looks like it should be strong enough.  The good news is that the bolt holes in 22RE’s mount matches the factory flange

The Toyota dealer wanted $300+ for a pair of motor mounts, but they include the steel mount cover and the motor bracket, which do NOT break or wear out!!!

Here's 22RE's motor mount:  http://22reperformance.com/parts/installation-parts.html

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2016, 01:49:30 PM by Gnarly4X »

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:24:35 PM »
I did this for my motor mounts, http://www.yotatech.com/f123/22re-polyurethane-engine-mounts-232595/

More vibrations don't bother me, my truck is already loud inside and needs more work if I wanted it to be comfortable for others.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #447 on: Dec 11, 2016, 09:50:48 PM »
I thought you used the Marlin method of putting a bolt thru the mount..........

:dunno:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #448 on: Dec 11, 2016, 10:33:22 PM »
I thought you used the Marlin method of putting a bolt thru the mount..........

:dunno:

Bolt thru the mount?  :dunno:

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016, 03:12:55 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B