Author Topic: Go small or go home II, Where the heck is "Nankang" and what's a "Mudstar"  (Read 6633 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 473
  • Male Posts: 3,409
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
Well one of my free 19 year old hand me down swampers rounded out and shelled a carcass while I was hauling a 900 lb bale of alfalfa.  Cheapskate that I am, especially on my 1980 pickup, I searched for some more used junk, but to no avail.  I really wanted something about 31" in a decent mud tread, preferably with an old school looking tread design.  Now I know there are a TON of great proven newer mud terrains out there but I have this $500-$600 price point for tires on this particular pickup.  Most of the popular brands are a good $800 for a set of 31s these days.

I ran the treadwrights and loved them, but the price has gone up a bit and I like to change it up so I kept searching.

Discount tire has a few cheapies, but the old schooliest is the "Nankang Mudstar M/T".

I read they run a little short, so I ordered the 32x11.50 15s instead of the 31s.

They measure about 30.5" tall mounted on stock steelies.  Width is right around 10" on these 7" wheels.  What I ended up with was some short fat 31s, which is just perfect for this truck. Seriously, if you order any order one or two sizes bigger than you actually want.  The 31s must be dinky if the 32s are only 30.5" tall. My finger in the second pic below is on 31".

Sidewalls seem a little thinner than the 3 ply sidewalls we get.  We'll see if I can rip any up while skidding logs and hauling hay and 1680 lbs of water tank.  They should bag out nicely in the snow ad we all know the old buckshot tread design works well in the snow.

I threw in 8 oz of lead shot and they balance.  They thumped at first but smoothed out after about 10 miles. They are about as loud as you would expect.  Lower tone hum. Nice high void zig-zag traditional mud terrain.  Like 1980s tires but with a few more sipes.  Factory sipes are probably 3/4 of the read depth deep, which is nice.  I may sipe them some more with the hot knife if they need more sticky in the snow.

Did I get what I was after?  Old school tread design, fat chunky short tire, $560 shipped to the door, so I would say yes.  Are these things any good?  Time will tell.

I will attempt to work these tires to an early grave and post the results and impressions over time. 

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2015, 03:36:04 PM by H8PVMNT »
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.
Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
More stunning pictures...
Steve McQueen

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 4972
  • Male Posts: 3,228
  • Member since May '07
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
10" tread, what's the overall width at the bulge?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
Maybe 10 1/2" or a bit more. I'm sure they would lay out fatter on a wider rim.  They look pretty squared off on a 7" rim.
Steve McQueen

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1437
  • Male Posts: 4,449
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
They don't look half bad.  Good solid tread design.  You will have to give us a 500 mile report on them.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
Little update.  I have probably 400 miles.  Not enough to see how these will pan out over time.

Our mud hole driveway is now at maximum gumbo.  These are really good in the mud.  No big surprise.  Continuously hauling 1680 lbs of water through the mud hole.  Went up and got a load of wood yesterday with the pickup and the 4runner pulling a 2 horse trailer.  The 2 horse was high centered hard in the ruts in the driveway.  The winch on the 4runner is currently out of commission so I pushed from behind with the pickup and hooked up good enough with the Nankangs to shove the trailer free.

They clean well without much wheel spin.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 02:56:05 PM by H8PVMNT »
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
Well I have maybe 1,000 miles on these.  They balance and go down the road pretty nice. Not very loud even.

Sidewalls don't seem super robust but we've been hacking around the place and have had no problems.  They ooze out nicely at 8-10 psi. We had some post to pull out with the winch in our gumbo swamp so I aired down and we could just idle along processing the muck happily motoring on top or it.  I did get some mud in the bead causing a slow leak while using the truck and winch to dredge out about a ton of watercress to clear a channel.  It seemed to work it's way out though.  I think this is an indication that these aren't that tight on the rim.  We'll see if I can roll a bead snow wheeling later this winter.

So far for the money I think these are pretty good stuff.

There was a swamp monster flogging around in there while we were pulling posts.
Steve McQueen

OVRAROK

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 20524
  • Male Posts: 2,409
  • Member since Dec '10
    • my build
I always enjoy the background in your photos, looks like a great spread
even the most primitive society has an intimate respect for the insane

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
I'm glad.  It's a fun but challenging place to live. I don't know if it's big enough to call a spread though ;).
Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
Mt wife reports that while these are awesome in the mud they suck pretty bad for around town winter ice.  No big surprise looking at the tread design.  I will be sipping them soon...
Steve McQueen

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1437
  • Male Posts: 4,449
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
Air them down a little.  This is what I do with my old school BFG Mud Terrains.  They have no sipping, and the first sign of ice or snow, I air them down.  It makes driving on bare pavement a little squirrelly, but better than sliding all over the place.  Especially, when your truck weighs nothing.   
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 1421
  • Male Posts: 8,696
  • Member since Sep '05
look good, but I would have mounted black out
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SKULLYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -57
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Garage Crawler
i had a set of those on a samurai, I thought they were great in the snow. 
85 x-cab- duals, flatbed, locked, 33's....

70 FJ55-in pieces

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
I went a got fire wood the other night in about 18" of snow.  6-8" base with the rest settled day 2 powder.  They were phenomenal in the stuff. Very much like the old buckshots from days of yore they remind you of.
Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 943
  • Male Posts: 1,449
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • My build thread
I went a got fire wood the other night in about 18" of snow.  6-8" base with the rest settled day 2 powder.  They were phenomenal in the stuff. Very much like the old buckshots from days of yore they remind you of.

I wish more tall skinny' were available for that very reason. Are they as loud as tortured demons like the old buck shots were?
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-te turbo diesel with custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97311.0[/ur

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 5997
  • Male Posts: 2,234
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
You know they are making the gateways again. Only making ns for 15s and p's for 16. If the made a p for a 15 I'd be running the stock 15x7 wheels with them on the dd. I love the old school skinny and how hard they pull. That good Ole flat spot that bounces you for the first 10 minutes and the roar you hear from 100 yard away. :biggthumpup:
80 short bed, longs, hi steer, 4.7 case twin stick, 4.11, 38 tsl, mild built 22r
83 long bed, sas, hi steer, 3rz, w56, 4.56 33s
95 4runner project
06 4 door tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
I wish more tall skinny' were available for that very reason. Are they as loud as tortured demons like the old buck shots were?

So far they are pretty quiet.  I would expect them to get louder as the wear out.  The center lugs are at a bit of an angle, which I think may quiet them down a bit.
Steve McQueen

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 5997
  • Male Posts: 2,234
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
I ran mud kings on a 3500 crew cab and they were quiet for the time I had them. My friend runs them in a 33x12.50 on a 10" wheel on his 80 toyota and they are around 25-30k on them 10 years old and ride good, very little noise, air down and get good traction. I think you'll enjoy them.
Mudking-mudstar basically the same thing
80 short bed, longs, hi steer, 4.7 case twin stick, 4.11, 38 tsl, mild built 22r
83 long bed, sas, hi steer, 3rz, w56, 4.56 33s
95 4runner project
06 4 door tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
OK at just over 5K miles they are showing little wear other than the sharp edges rounding ever so slightly. I will go ahead and rotate them next time I get a minute. They are wearing nice and flat.  Still quiet for what they are.  Most of my driving has been dirt and mud chores at the homestead, firewood and trips to town on the highway when he wife gets supplies.  I drive it to work about once a week these days too.

I am getting tired of reading and writing "about XX,000 miles on these tires!" on tire reviews.  Whatever, we need real data.  I am going to start posting actual mileage on updates on tire reviews...

Right now I have 60,946 miles on the odometer.  We will say 5,000 miles on the tires at this time which is fairly accurate based on my math.

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 09:50:04 AM by H8PVMNT »
Steve McQueen