Author Topic: Looking for advice on what to do: Tioga Pass & East side of Sierras  (Read 1551 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Hey guys,

I am planning a trip for my wife's birthday up through Tioga Pass and down to Mammoth / Bishop / anywhere over there. Trip is about a month away.

I've been to Tioga pass twice while I was a teenager and have always wanted to return. My wife has only been to Yosemite valley a few times when we were dating. I've only been to the 395 up north in Carson City, and from the south I've only come up as far as Ridgecrest (for annual Panamint Valley Days 4WD events). So there is a vast section of the eastern Sierras that I've never ever seen before and now it's time!

Wife's BD is June 30, a Tuesday. I'll be at Rubithon the weekend prior. We'll most likely take Thurs and Fri off and make this a Thurs (7/2) through Sunday (7/5) weekend. Yeah, I know, 4th of July weekend. July 7 is also our wedding anniversary so we always have a lot going on around this time of the year.

The goal:
Wife is from Japan and it is amazingly beautiful over there. So I'm always trying to show off how beautiful it is here with big vistas like Yosemite and Yellowstone (drove there last year and loved it!). I definitely remember Tuolume Meadows being extremely beautiful which is why I'd really like to take her there. Also I know there are amazing places near Bishop, CA so combing any activities from between these two locations in one trip seems like a good idea.

Our interests:
I'm always down for anything. Have hiked Half Dome 5 or 6 times, done a lot of rock climbing, lot of mtb biking, and have camped in the sierras for most of my life.
The wife: Loves camping, fishing, out door cooking, cooking in general, and can do some hiking but gets tired easily. I've never seen her on a Mtb bike, and I have taken her rock climbing before and she pretty much did it only because she loves me :yupyup: As she is from Japan, she  l o v e s  hot springs and so far the only one in the Sierras that I've taken her to is Mono Hot Springs near Edison Lake (not that great but still fun). I've heard there are some good ones on the eastern side...

Basically, as mentioned, I'm looking to show her just how beautiful the High Sierras are and anything else is a bonus. In addition to hot springs I know there are some old ghost towns and probably also mining towns, that would be really cool to see. She loves vintage things and does a fair share of antique hunting so I'll be researching this as well.

Any hiking trail that leads to a nice waterfall is always a bonus.

So far my plan is scarce:
1. Wife drives to Fresno Wed night.
2. Get up early Thurs and head up from Fresno to Tuolume Meadows. I've never been to Mariposa so I figured I'd go hwy 41 to hwy 49 and enter Yosemite via hwy 140. Then climb up and out of the valley and head for Tioga Pass.

That's my plan so far :gap:

We could stay in Tuolume meadows Thurs night, then Bishop area Fri night, then Mammoth area Sat night, then back home to Fresno by Sunday night. Flexible on all this so far... Might also be able to take Wed off too (pending her vacation availability)

I'm looking at some nice cabins we could stay at at the Tioga Pass Resort (http://www.tiogapassresort.com) (https://reserve3.resnexus.com/resnexus/Reservations/Lodging/51742FAE-BD79-454C-92C7-19C6F2884C71) but rentals are for 2 nights and we don't have much time. They do offer 1 night motel lodging.

So we could stay a night in Tuolume Meadows and make the most of it up there. Any simply trail/hike recommendations that maybe lead to nice lakes, vistas?

Current list of things I've randomly been researching...

Ok will reply back with some more as I do more research. Looking forward to some amazing Alpine vistas and fun. Thank you for any suggestions you can offer us! :wave: :driving:

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2015, 06:19:35 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

mountainguyed67

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It's not a far walk to the Post pile, a few minutes the way I remember it. I started a hike there in 06, ended at Edison. Also went through there on a hike in 07, they have free hot spring showers. I didn't walk down to the falls, but I went by the trail fork for it both times. There were lots of families going to and from the falls.

My Grandparents and my mom both campground hosted along Bishop Creek, uphill from the town of Bishop. The main attraction in that area is fishing, it's pretty scenic too though. There's North Lake, South Lake, and Sabrina Lake. There are hiking trails going West from both North Lake and South Lake, they both climb quite a lot. I hiked from Florence Lake to North Lake once. So I could tell you what the trail is like, if you're interested.

I don't know the other areas over there. It's all pretty touristy, and more exposed to the sun than we are used to on this side of the mountains.

mountainguyed67

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Found a picture of North lake. There's a campground, trailhead, and pack station (horse riding), no store, and it's on a dirt road that scares the timid, ha ha.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
If you go to Bodie, bring a good wind breaker, that place is always windy.  They have guided tours(or did), but if you miss one, you can basically just walk around looking at the old buildings.

Bristlecone is basically hiking and looking at the 4500+yr old trees.

If you head South to Ridgecrest, you might want to check out Mt. Whitney and the Alabama Hills out of Lone Pine.  Mt Whitney is a recommended 2 day hike, so that may be out  this trip.  The Alabama Hills is where a lot of Hollywood Movies and TV shows have been filmed.  If you are interested in that type of stuff, the Film Festival they hold there in October might be a better time, since they have guided tours and film stills at the locations of the more famous scenes.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Sounds fun Mike.  You need a chauffeur?   :biggthumpup:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

mountainguyed67

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I just remembered I went through Little Lakes Valley once too. I came from Pine Creek trailhead, camped at Lower Morgan Lake, over Morgan Pass, and finished at Mosquito Flat trailhead. It was raining.