Author Topic: 86 Runner Build - Down to Rails  (Read 12466 times)

Miller

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
86 Runner Build - Down to Rails
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »
Traded my 92 Moto Van with 300K on it for this very clean, NO RUST 86 Runner.  I bought the van 5 years ago for $700 so I'm calling this a free start.  You know that saying if it seems to good to be true, it's probably not?  Well, the rattling valves we thought would just need a little adjusting were actually adjusted perfectly...  As you will see in these first pics, our little quick build quickly turned into a full build and almost restoration.  This is that perfect scenario where your son drives a rig into the shop for a small repair and BAM!  You're down to the rails with a full build.
93 Runner, 86 Runner build, 85 Bobbed, 85 Xcab for parts

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 86 Runner Build - Down to Rails
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
To this...

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1269
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:16:30 PM »
 :eye: :eye:

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:20:03 PM »
I'll put up some shots of how we got to where we are.  All this from finding the new top end installed by others before we got the rig was not properly broke in.  We found every lobe on the cam was almost GONE.  Started in thinking we would just replace the cam.  Did I mention it was a new cam they destroyed?  Then we found the rockers were shot as well.  Then you wonder how far did all the metal make it through this thing and for how long...  So we completely tore it down and rebuilt it in one week, replacing almost everything along the way.  We replaced the injectors and even replaced the coolant tubes we found were rotted out Cylinders looked good and the crank & rod bearings were good so we left those and went from there.

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:41:11 PM »
Once we rebuilt the engine it was time to move on and yank the body for paint.  For all you out there considering a body pull on early runners...  do it!  It's easier than it seems it would be.  Sure makes fab on the frame easy too.  I will say if you don't have another rig around (still assembled) to pull measurements from during fab it could be a little tougher.  So we found through trial and error the center of the sunroof with top off is the balance point for single point lifting.  I don't have pics of our second body lifting procedure with our crane, but we ran a 6' run of 2" thick wall receiver stock through the jams (supported by a  rag wrapped 2x4 on the jam pinch welds) wrapped a chain around the tubing through the center of the sunroof and lifted the whole thing up with ease.

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
Since it's relatively straight, no body work.  Just a little hammer and dolly work and a scuff and shoot.  We pulled the paint code and decided to keep the paint original color with a two tone twist I came up with to match the interior.  We went with satin on the glass top and gloss on the sheet metal for easy blasting with the pressure washer after trips.  I was hoping the satin would dull down the top, it helped but probably still a little too glossy.  Please tell me what y'all think of the two tone and where we broke the line. 

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:45:51 PM »
Some more paint

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 01:48:39 PM »
Now for the red.

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »
With the body and the engine out of the way, we rolled the frame in for some torching of the IFS.  By the way I have a full IFS set up if anyone is looking for parts... 

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »
The best part about yanking the body is being able to flip the frame over for final torching, grinding and setting up all the new spring hangers.  No laying on the floor with slag burning you over and over.  A little extra work up front sure makes the rest of the build go smoothER and fastER.

Now that we're to the actually build part of the thread I can start filling you in on the details.  Here is where we took full advantage of teh flipped frame to weld on our hangers and creeper joints for the junk yard 63" Chevy's for the rear.  Having teh frame inverted helped with drilling out teh front frame tubes as well.

By the way... I have a typing disorder and cannot get my fingers to type THE properly and I'm getting tired of fixing every one of them.  Please excuse the teh's...

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »
A new 1 7/8" Milwakee hole saw is perfect for coring out teh frame for teh tubes by the way.  Gives you just enough slop to make final alignment adjustments while welding in teh tubes.  Honestly I aligned these by sighting through, lining them up and tacked them in place.  A few taps after teh tacks and BAM, good enough for me.  WELD IT.

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
Almost missed this pic.  Here's an exploded view of a 22RE.  We tore ours down and rebuilt it in a week.  Not to be badass and claim we did it quick, but so it stayed fresh in my aging mind how it all went back together!

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 02:24:14 PM »
So for teh front, we're just dragging teh rears up front.  We got some Sky's boomerang shackles to keep from smacking teh rear of teh body mount on compression.  Yes we plan to explode teh pack and build our own pack adding leaves to get her to sit right.  Since the RUF is not an exact science, we have teh front hanger tacked in ant teh moment 1" forward of teh front crossmember.  This is where we're at on progress.  I'll finish up posting our progress and get into my questions for comment.

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
Shackle Angles.  That's the big unknown for our build.  For teh 63's we chose to push our wheelbase out a bit and went 10.5" forward (eye to eye) from stock front hanger to teh new 63 hanger.  We put the creeper joint all teh way to teh end of teh frame rails shooting for +/- 20 degrees on teh shackle at teh rear.  We neded up at 23 degrees which once we get some weight on it is going to increase.  We were going for a slightly flatter angle to further improve ride rather than load carrying capability.  From what I have read, the end of teh frame rail is a standard place for locating the rear tubes.

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »
Still on shackles, now for teh tough one with building on rails...  We ended up really negative with our front shackle angle completely unloaded.  We're about a 1/2" from banging teh front of teh body mount with teh boomerangs.  Remember, we're only tacked in with teh front hanger at 1" forward of the front cross member.  Should we be concerned for our current angle?  I'm confident once we load teh weight back on we'll be back positive but we were hoping for about vertical shackle angle unloaded.  I know we can just pull the front hanger back in flush to the front crossmember, but we're running 37's and not planning to trim.  We're pushing teh steering box forward to avoid steering conflicts with teh RUF.

Question is: Will 37's clear with no trimming with only the 2" gain from teh RUF moving teh axle forward?  Once that hanger is welded in place, there is no moving that thing around.  Not in my world anyway.  Take a look at our set up and comment please...

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
While we ponder the front shackle angle, we're moving on to building the front axle.  We have some more Marlin rebuild parts and armoring showing up today.  It's been 20 years since I tore into a Toyota front end!  We're going with the put it back the way we found it method since I really don't know how to set the knuckles up properly.  Hoping to get the front end mostly built back up again and under the frame so we can get the high steer in place to figure out the right spot to place teh steering box.  Since this truck didn't have power steering, it was a perfect candidate for assist.  We have a new ported box and pump we got from LROR.  Bad news is it looks like someone dropped it while in the box, landing on one of the new fittings, jacking up the fitting and threads...  Gotta call those guys.

So this is our front end taken from our parts truck...  Way worth having one of these around for this build.  All the way down to stealing bolts or taking measurements.

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 03:18:44 PM »
We pulled the runner in the shop on 4-7-15

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »
Awesome progress!!! I love 1st gen runners... Keep up the speedy good work!
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »
Love the build man!! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 11:46:35 PM »
:popcorn: nice
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 05:07:23 AM »
Very nice build, yall are getting after it. I didn't see where anyone else has commented, but the paint is something different. Either going to love it or hate it kind of thing. I dig it man. Looks awesome.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
Very nice build! I would love to do a frame off on my runner. My garage is way to small though.  :down: I admire your speed. You keep saying we. Who are you building this with?  :dunno: I am going to guess this is a father-son build???  You seem to be thinking everything through and doing it right.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »
I do say we as this is a build with my 20 year old son.  He started out strong and was very interested in the 22RE rebuild.  Once we separated the body from the frame, he's lost a little interest at the fab level but it's understandable.  I kinda take over when the torch and welder come out.  I'm kinda anal about paint too so I'm really looking forward to getting back into reassembly for him.  Gonna have him do some stitch welding on the front end.

My goal on this one was for him to be a part of a full build so he would take the initiative with confidence to build our black bobbed 85 we call the wheel barrow.  Trying to pass on the knowledge and passion.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 09:30:01 AM »
 :clap2: This is my dream with mine once I have a house and a garage. Pull the body off and blast the frame. Paint it with POR-15. Send my body off for a re-spray or swap in a clean one if I can find one.

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
SEM Trim Black is the secret for the frame.  Give it a heavy coat of epoxy primer and a couple coats of trim black.  Gives a nice factory look and if done right, wears like armor protecting the steel for years to come.  I buy the stuff by the gallon and shoot everything with that stuff.  I'm thinking of breaking away form the trim black on all the tube armor going on this one and using the bronze with matte clear.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 12:48:27 PM »
SEM Trim Black is the secret for the frame.  Give it a heavy coat of epoxy primer and a couple coats of trim black.  Gives a nice factory look and if done right, wears like armor protecting the steel for years to come.  I buy the stuff by the gallon and shoot everything with that stuff.  I'm thinking of breaking away form the trim black on all the tube armor going on this one and using the bronze with matte clear.

Interesting, never heard anybody recommend SEM before. Reading the amazon reviews it is indeed well reviewed. It appears that people use it for trim pieces though. How did you end up using it as your frame paint? You are saying it is more durable than POR-15?

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 01:06:40 PM »
POR15 is pretty crazy stuff.  It is bullet proof, but for me gives a, how do I explain this... POR 15 look.  For me, it looks like a rust treatment (which it is) whereas the Trim black (when applied on a clean fresh surface) looks like a brand new finished product.  Like the frame under my new truck. 

My buddy owns an automotive paint supply shop.  He turned me on to the trim black when I was looking for something to shoot my old 67Chevy Hot Rod pickup, I painted the whole body with it.  It turned out being really scratch resistant. 

The key when shooting the Trim Black is it is a finish or top coat, for my uses anyway.  Spraying the epoxy primer to seal the metal first is what makes the combo work on parts susceptible to abrasion such as a frame or tube work.  I use a black epoxy primer (which ends up like powder coat but not a good top coat) and cover it up lightly with the trim black for finish.  Even if you gouge off the trim black, the epoxy primer beneath can hold up well. 

Oh, and you can get the trim black in spray cans too!  I use them for touch up.  I'll see if I can dig up some pictures on my 68F100 build to show you the POR15 look versus the trim black.  I used them both for different purposes.  Treated the bottom of the bed with POR15 to kill the rust.  Took the frame to bare metal and went Trim Black..

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »
POR15 is pretty crazy stuff.  It is bullet proof, but for me gives a, how do I explain this... POR 15 look.  For me, it looks like a rust treatment (which it is) whereas the Trim black (when applied on a clean fresh surface) looks like a brand new finished product.  Like the frame under my new truck. 

My buddy owns an automotive paint supply shop.  He turned me on to the trim black when I was looking for something to shoot my old 67Chevy Hot Rod pickup, I painted the whole body with it.  It turned out being really scratch resistant. 

The key when shooting the Trim Black is it is a finish or top coat, for my uses anyway.  Spraying the epoxy primer to seal the metal first is what makes the combo work on parts susceptible to abrasion such as a frame or tube work.  I use a black epoxy primer (which ends up like powder coat but not a good top coat) and cover it up lightly with the trim black for finish.  Even if you gouge off the trim black, the epoxy primer beneath can hold up well. 

Oh, and you can get the trim black in spray cans too!  I use them for touch up.  I'll see if I can dig up some pictures on my 68F100 build to show you the POR15 look versus the trim black.  I used them both for different purposes.  Treated the bottom of the bed with POR15 to kill the rust.  Took the frame to bare metal and went Trim Black..

Awesome. So you are doing this all with a gun I'm assuming?

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 02:01:42 PM »
Yes with a gun.  I know a lot of guys use the POR15 because you can get away with brushing it.  My father still does in fact.  He swears you can't see the brush marks, I beg to differ.  He's actually the one who slopped POR15 under my bed of the F100... using a brush.  What a mess!  Killed the rust but I have all these upside down POR15 runs & drips inside the bed over the original baby blue I was trying to keep.  Picture the bed flopped over and slopping that stuff around and where it runs to. 

Also, POR15 note:  If you open up a quart of that stuff, better plan to use all of it or leave no trace of it on the lip of the can.  You will never get that can open again and it goes bad faster than you'd expect.  Just a heads up.

84 yota dude

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 08:06:01 PM »
This is AWEsome!!
Seriously what I want to do this one day, except swap in a 1UZ V8!!