Author Topic: Front Axle Rebuild  (Read 6357 times)

hexadecimal

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Front Axle Rebuild
« on: May 25, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

So I've been a fan of Marlin Crawler for quite a while now, but never posted. I have a '91 Toyota Pickup, and I'm finally at a point in my life where I can give it some much-needed attention. I bought the truck with most the upgrades already present (SAS from '85, dual marlin t-cases, lift, custom flatbed conversion, etc) and have only had to do a small amount of work myself to get the truck where it's at. Anyways, there are a few problems I'm trying to work through, and being the novice that I am I need and would greatly appreciate some advice from the community.

I recently noticed gear oil leaking from the warn lockout hubs on the truck and decided that I'd go ahead and rebuild the front axle to replace the inner axle seals.

The front axle has the Warn Birfield Eliminator kit installed and alloy axle shafts. I've read mixed reviews on the Warn kit, and also read that they stopped making the kit over a decade ago. I keep hearing that 30 spline Longfields are the way to go now.  If I were to put Longfields in the truck, it seems I'd have to go back to the Toyota axle shaft, spindle, axle housing seal, hublock, etc.. which might be a bit expensive.

The axle as-is has been put through quite a bit and has proven strong, so my question is will a standard front axle rebuild kit give me everything I need to rebuild the axle as-is? OR will I have to dump the Warn kit and go with with something else?

I'm open for any recommendations. And here are some pictures of my rig, and the disassembled axle since this is my first post. :greengrin:

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,727
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Re: Front Axle Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:00:05 PM »
I have never installed the warn kit but I know that Prismo has had it in his 4Runner for years and likes it. I would say if it isn't broke don't fix it. If you did want to go back to a birfield style axle I don't think it would be expensive outside of the axles themselves. I imagine you could reuse your Warn hubs although if you switch to RCV axles the hubs will be a weak point. If you were to change anything I would suggest finding some OEM AISIN hubs. They are much stronger than Warn hubs.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

hexadecimal [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »
Okay, thanks for the information. I checked out your axle rebuild thread btw and I think I'll use it for reassembly. If I were to go with Aisin hubs, would I need to change anything else? I wasn't sure if they would mate up to the spindles that came with the Warn Birfield Eliminator kit.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »
Okay, thanks for the information. I checked out your axle rebuild thread btw and I think I'll use it for reassembly. If I were to go with Aisin hubs, would I need to change anything else? I wasn't sure if they would mate up to the spindles that came with the Warn Birfield Eliminator kit.

I haven't had any experience with birfield eliminator kits so i am not sure exactly what you would have to swap out but it might need spindles/wheel hubs/the lock out hubs itself.  :dunno:  maybe you could trade all that stuff for factory parts plus some cash. and use that cash for longfields (http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details.aspx?sku=CVJ2851-PU) if that is what you really do want.

Here is a good link for an axle rebuild writeup.  http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AxleRebuild.shtml

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »
Easiest thing to do now is just replace those seals and rebuild what you have on it now.

At least you'll be up and moving again sooner than later.  Then do more research about going back to Birf's if that's what you wanted to do.  I'm sure the leaky fluid is from the Inner Axle seal.

I upgrade/replace once something breaks.  If the only issue was the leak I am guessing what you have on there is good....for know.

Good luck!
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

hexadecimal [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »
Thanks for the input jssgbsn and Dingman.  I went ahead and ordered the Marlin Crawler front axle rebuild kit.  I'll post an update once it's rolling again. :yupyup:

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 09:52:56 AM »
Good luck!!
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

hexadecimal [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
Thanks!

So while I'm waiting for the rebuild kit to ship from Marlin, I decided to take a look at a leveling issue with the truck that has been bugging me lately. The driver side of the frame sits lower than the passenger side to the point where it's pretty noticeable. I had chalked this issue up to the springs sagging on one side of the truck (possibly from the previous owner jumping the truck :clap2:) but the other day decided to put a tape on it. Turns out the springs are fine, and the issue lies with the driver front spring perch:

As shown in the photo, the driver spring perch doesn't sit as high as the passenger spring perch by 3/4". This measurement difference propagates up to the frame where it is further exaggerated at the full width of the truck to the point where it not only looks bad, but throws off the CG of the truck. The passenger spring perch is mounted higher to clear the differential portion of the axle housing. I don't think it's possible to lower the one on the passenger side, so does anyone know if there's a higher spring perch available that I can weld on to the driver side once I remove the old one?

I'm also up for other suggestions on how to level things out..  :idea:

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »
One of your front springs should have come with a spacer for this exact reason.

hexadecimal [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
One of your front springs should have come with a spacer for this exact reason.

Well, I guess I'll have to fab up a spacer and probably hunt down some longer u-bolts because the ones on the truck now won't accommodate a spacer.  :thumbdown:

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2015, 05:54:35 PM »
Well, I guess I'll have to fab up a spacer and probably hunt down some longer u-bolts because the ones on the truck now won't accommodate a spacer.  :thumbdown:

http://jesterfab.com/collections/toyota/products/front-spring-perch-shim

I can't fathom why any u-bolts wouldn't be long enough unless they have been cut...

RATCATCHER38

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2015, 12:51:14 AM »
I've noticed the difference before on my diffs but luckily here (Aus) it isn't an issue due to the driver and fuel tank both being on the RHS of the vehicle. Most HiLux's you see here all sag to the drivers side (RHS) due to the extra weight.

LN65 HiLux

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »
Stock springs were arched different to make up the difference. Aftermarket are arched the same hence the need for a spacer to get it to sit level. On stock housings I used a piece of 3/8 flat bar welded to the stock spring perch. Drill a hole in it for the spring pin.

I ran a Birfield Eliminator kit (not Warn) for about five years until one day it let go. Not only did it blow the kit but the shock load took out the ring and pinion, the u-joint on the other axle and the locking hub.

The bad thing about the Warn locking hubs is they do not use the cone washers to keep them tight, when they loosen a bit it shears the studs and the locating pins on the hub that hold the locking hub on, We had it happen on a friends rig this year on the Rubicon. After a couple hours we replaced the studs and he checked the tightness a bunch of times on the way out. every time he checked, they were loosening up.

here is a picture of the broken Birfield Eliminator kit . You can see it is junk!!
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2015, 03:48:28 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2015, 08:28:01 AM »
Stock springs were arched different to make up the difference. Aftermarket are arched the same hence the need for a spacer to get it to sit level. On stock housings I used a piece of 3/8 flat bar welded to the stock spring perch. Drill a hole in it for the spring pin.

I ran a Birfield Eliminator kit (not Warn) for about five years until one day it let go. Not only did it blow the kit but the shock load took out the ring and pinion, the u-joint on the other axle and the locking hub.

The bad thing about the Warn locking hubs is they do not use the cone washers to keep them tight, when they loosen a bit it shears the studs and the locating pins on the hub that hold the locking hub on, We had it happen on a friends rig this year on the Rubicon. After a couple hours we replaced the studs and he checked the tightness a bunch of times on the way out. every time he checked, they were loosening up.

here is a picture of the broken Birfield Eliminator kit . You can see it is junk!!

Was that the same guy who had Marlin drilling out his knuckle for him?

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
Was that the same guy who had Marlin drilling out his knuckle for him?
No this was another guy a couple of weeks later.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity