Author Topic: Diesel VS Gas . . . . you tell me  (Read 6278 times)

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Diesel VS Gas . . . . you tell me
« on: Apr 23, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
Diesel vs Gas . . .  :dunno:

here is where I am right now, I want a 4X4 GMC 2500 SLT Duramax w Allison trans and all the bells and whistles, or the gas engine equivalent , now I have been told that the maintenance cost of a diesel and the little amount of towing I do I should just go with the gas  truck cause I wont be towing that much, now I have an 18' car trailer that my Runner or 78 Camaro will go on, I plan on having either a 20-22' toy hauler or a 22-24' travel trailer, I will probably tow each one 4-6 times each year mostly short distances - 100 miles with lots of up and down hills and roads with plenty of curves for the most part, I know nothing about Diesels and even less about the maintenance of them, any advice would be great, I have also herd the 05-06 are better years to get due to cheaper maint. cost.

what I want
1. GMC or Chevy 2500    (I'm a Chevy guy and always will be)
2. Duramax                     (better gas millage and more tow rating)
3. Gas                             (cheaper maintenance)     
4. 4X4                             (snow)
5. Short Bed                   (longbeds are ugly to me)
6. loaded                         (when momma is happy everyone is happy)
7. 4 door                         (more room for grand kids) :cheese:

please help me figure out what is best in your opinion but lets not make this a pissing match . . . . ford vs chevy vs dodge cause I dont care, I like the GMC and Chevy and thats what i want to  get :) thanks for the help
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Diesel VS Gas . . . . you tell me
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2015, 03:24:58 AM »
If you can afford the diesel then get it. Yes it will cost more but the first time you tow something heavy it will be worth it. Vortec's are good engines but the dmax with the Allison is just awesome. As far as maintenance goes, all you will do is change the oil and put on a fuel filter once in a while. (Which you will do less often than a gas job). Aaaannnnnd, if you get the itch for more power (and you will) you can put a chip in it and have chingles of power and torque. My dad has a 2010 gmc with a chip and it will do smoke the tires on dry pavement.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2015, 04:55:46 AM »
If you can find an 06' it has the LBZ which is the better over the LLY. The LLY had and has injector problems as well as some other issues. Thats just my  :twocents: on that. Good luck im sure you'll be glad with the d-max.
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2015, 06:10:33 AM »
IMHO with the little towing you will be doing the diesel engine "premium" is not worth it. Diesels cost more to maintain, that's a fact. I have one and I probably should have gotten a gasser  :twocents: Good luck!
Time to go wheelin!

*** YELLER *** [OP]

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »
good input so far, thanks guys, I will not be doing any "faster" mods lol only thing I will change is the oil and tires (or other maint stuff)  just want to tow with confidence and have as little issues as I can get lol
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »
If you can afford the diesel then get it. Yes it will cost more but the first time you tow something heavy it will be worth it.
Yup that and bacon!
Seriously though I don't think I will buy another full size truck that is not a diesel, they just work.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »
Diesel hands down. You are capable of gettin much better fuel economy, where I live anyway diesel is less than gas right now, you can make tons of power if you felt like it and I'd say there is less up keep. The older Isuzu motors had some injector issues I believe..  not to mention the resale value. Probably at least $7500 more than what you'd get for the gasoline version if you ever sold it..
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

valon5150

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 500
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Jan '13
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »
I'd probably vote gasser. Cheaper, pretty damn reliable, gutless wonders.

That being said I have a diesel and love it. I got it for sole purpose of hauling crawler and old lady's horse trailer. The house trailer evolved from 2 horse bumper pull to a 4 horse, 20' gooseneck. My beater light weight 20' flatbed got canned and I have a 25' tandem dually that weights 6500# empty. I haul a lot of hay and whatever else i can as a side source of spending money now. If I had gotten a gasser to fulfill what I originally wanted a full size rig for, I wouldn't be happy with it anymore.

If you think you will never do anymore with truck than you are saying you will and you like to pinch pennies, get gas. But if there is a chance you will go bigger toy hauler/use it way more often in the future. Get a diesel.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2015, 08:43:09 PM »
I am a GM guy, but I am not a fan of any of the new Diesels.  I know too many people that have them, and most are expensive money pits.  Many got them for towing, and then realize they didn't tow as much as they thought they would.  And end up selling diesel for gas.  A buddy of mine, BAM on here, has a Duramax, and a rather large fifth wheel trailer.  He says when towing his trailer, he gets shitty mileage.  I can go farther fully loaded in my 22re truck with a 12 gallon tank, than he can towing a trailer with his 26 gallon tank.   

If you want to see the costs of a GM diesel vs gas, look up the cost of a unit bearing cost! 

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »
I am also a GM guy but even owned a ford diesel for a short while before it exploded. I have done the same evaluation as you and have owned a 2001 6.0L gas 2500 pic:

it was even the 5 speed

and now my current truck, 2003 duramax/allison 3500 single rear wheel:

personally the 6.0/ 5 speed was a good truck when not towing and got ok fuel milage but after needing the crew cab for the kids and finding a good deal on the duramax i would not go back. the duramax has more power better MPG and will probably last longer. granted the oil changes and parts are more expensive, the towing charicteristics of the 6.0 just paled in comparison to the duramax so much it is worth the cost for me. granted i have a work truck so my duramax is only used for towing and hauling and does not get many miles (still at 115K for a 03) so i dont really use it for DD use but i have and even being a crew cab long bed i would drive it any day if i did not have my work truck.

if you are really tight on budget go 6.0 and it will get the job done but expect 8 MPG hauling the toyota or anything and 15ish empty. if you can afford it go with the duramax and get 15MPG towing up to 12kish and around 18-20 empty.  personally my truck had the injectors replaced under warranty when i bought it but has not had any problems since. I personally think most that have problems are the ones with tuners on them, stressing internals not designed for that type of power. If you stick with stock power (which i feel is plenty) and change the fuel filter with every oil change you should have a very reliable truck for many miles.

iirc oil changes on the 6.0 performed by me were around 40 bucks, oil change and fuel filter on the duramax will be around 100 bucks performed by yourself.  besides some tie rod ends and a u joint i ahve not done much else to my truck but i feel those to be regular wear items.

19psi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 08:46:37 PM »
Diesel every time. I've towed iwth both and the calm and controlled way diesels' tow is relaxing and much easier than watching a gasser  downshifting every time ther'es a little hill and the corresponding drop in mileage.
Even if you aren't towing every weekend, it's still worth it.
maintenance costs... well if it breaks yeah they're more expensive but otherwise, i don't know if it's even worth discussing. If a few dollars on the oil change will make your decision, you're probably in the wrong hobby haha...It's not like the diesels are made out of different things than the gas version. bearings, tie rods, ball joints, brakes are the same on gas 2500s or diesel 2500s.
fwiw, i have an 07 Dmax LBZ and haven't had a bit of trouble out of it at 118k miles and all i do is tow and haul iwth it when I use it. finally had to put a little money in the front end, 1 bearing, pitman arm, idler arm, and some brakes. Normal wear and tear stuff that any 2500 will run into at that mileage.
94 extended cab, 14B rear w/Detroit, D60 fr with E-locker, dual cases, 42" IROK's

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »
What year did they have to have the urea injection?

I'd think the diesels were better before that requirement.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 09:53:34 PM »
Did some searching.

The urea injection started in 2010.

But, it was the diesel particulate filters I was thinking of as being really bad........

Those started in 2007
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »
I like diesels but we run an '88 Chevy crew cab 1 ton.  454 with TBI gets the same 11-12 mpg weather its loaded, unloaded or towing a house.  So much more roomy inside compared to the '08 GMC and '06 crew cab we had.  Like driving around in your living room.  These can be had cheap and are flat out cool to drive around in. Handles and rides better than our newer trucks, period. They also take well to a cummins swap if you ever want more, but the big block is so cool.

They can be had cheap so no payments. We traded a well used quad for ours.

A new, modern diesel is of course better for almost every normal person, but my opinion is go old.  More bang for your buck and not a mommy wagon like all these newer trucks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:33:33 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Unclejarhead

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Member since Feb '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:47:18 AM »
Wow, it's been a while lol  :haha: ended up getting a 2006 Duramax, with all the bells and whistles, pictures when I can post them  :biggthumpup:          :usa: :beerwhack: