Author Topic: SFA locking hubs - help!  (Read 993 times)

cbeers

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4347
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
SFA locking hubs - help!
« on: Sep 25, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »
EDIT:  with some more research, I found my answer, and my hunch was right IFS locking hubs.  Great.  At least the clutch gear and hub dial are, the hub splines must be correct though?  I need to dig in again and REALLY figure out what I am working with.  Aaaand I'll be needing a new locking hub now.

Here is the thread on Yotatech that spelled it out for me.

http://www.yotatech.com/f114/dropzones-notebook-ideas-links-mods-misc-bs-167140/index6.html

CB

1985 4Runner, stock axles but I have no real idea of what may or may not have been modified over the last 30 years....

I have always had an issue where the locking hub on the passenger side will engage (sometimes) but not disengage (every time).  For the times it will not engage, it goes about 3/4 of the way between FREE and LOCK, but then stops and cannot be forced.   Like it runs out of room to engage?  :dunno:

Thought it was due to broken tabs on the back of the hub cover/end plate, but no change with replacement plates.
Thought it might be corrosion (PO had no gaskets or o-rings.....learning this was his method in EVERYTHING) so I ran the wire wheel on it, smooth and shiny, no change.

I put the bad locking hub on the other side wheel hub, same thing it will not fully engage or disengage and I have to pop it back off and pull it out by hand.

I finally got tired of it and put it back together as it was so I could move on to other things.   New O-rings on order from Marlin etc.

I then set them both side by side to look at how I was routing the spring/clip.  They are routed the same but LOOK different, one is "taller".  Well, looking more closely, the gears are not the same, one is taller than the other one.

Do I have an IFS hub here?  It's not the factory one (from 1985 with the truck), the outer hub body finish is different etc. but they look to be legit Aisin hubs.

I am out of ideas, what says the brain trust of MC?

CB

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2014, 09:39:46 AM by cbeers »