Author Topic: ToyYoda's 1994 Pickup Build Thread  (Read 100385 times)

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Re: 1994 Pickup First Build Thread
« Reply #60 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:38:53 PM »
Someone might use that front axle by removing the knuckle ball or just doing it the oaky way and bending it back.  I doubt its worth much of anything though.  I wouldn't use it.  Even with the weight I think you will have to move your hanger like you said.  looks great though.   
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -120
  • Male Posts: 204
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:56:33 AM »
Only made a little progress over the weekend but I was able to adjust my rear spring preaches as they were not spaced out quite right but are now lined up perfectly.  I also had time to adjust the pinion angle by pointing it straight at the t-case flange and then I dropped it back down ~5 degrees.  It ended up sitting right at 20 degrees from 90.

Started to setup my rear shock mounts from Low Range Offroad but only had time to get the drivers side tacked on before the kid woke from her nap. 

I had thoughts about mounting it on top of the axle but decided to place it on the bottom for a bit more shock travel (They do hang down slightly below the axle ~1/4" or so).  Hopefully next weekend I can get the other side tacked on and then position the upper mount and get an idea of how the rear shocks will look /\ wise.  If I'm happy with how it all looks then time to burn everything in and paint up the housing and install the full float.

Also, decided to go with flanges on the rear full float and not the manual hubs (to many I'd have to turn those in the parking lot comments) so I picked up a pair of FROR flanges.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:02:14 PM by Toy_Yoda »

rayota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:12:41 AM »
sweet build keep up the progress

jfowens

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Mar '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Mar 05, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »
nice build

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Mar 09, 2015, 05:42:12 AM »
Was able to finish locating the rear shock mounts on the axle and mocked up the rear shocks to get a peek at how they will sit.

Over all I'm pretty happy with how they look.  I have a second set of shock tabs that I could mount further out on the upper bar to get them more vertical any thoughts on that idea?

Also found time to get most of the rear axle parts burned in.  I don't have a picture of the whole axle (will post once its ready to paint up) but I did take a couple of weld pics for people to evaluate.

Still not a pro by any means but I do think I'm getting better.

Lower shock mount weld.

Diff armor weld.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:06:34 PM by Toy_Yoda »

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #65 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »
 :bowdown: This is where my truck should be at by now.... Fair play the man can weld seing as how he says hes a beginner :thumbs:
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:47:39 AM »
:bowdown: This is where my truck should be at by now.... Fair play the man can weld seing as how he says hes a beginner :thumbs:

Thanks Steve, I've seen some of your welds on your build and if I ever get mine to look half as good I'll be very pleased. 

I picked this guy up about a year ago and started teaching my self with the help of the internet and practice.  I'm finally starting to "see" the weld pool much better than I used to and I feel like that has really helped me out a lot.  More and more of my welds are starting to look consistent but I've still got a ways to go.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:07:55 PM by Toy_Yoda »

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:56:37 AM »
Since I'm getting close to finishing up the rear axle I've started to think about how I want to mount my rear brake lines.  I've seen both flex lines and hard lines used on the rear axle and wanted to ask what others on here preferred. 

My first idea was to mount flexible lines from the caliper to a bracket on the axle and then run short hard lines to a T junction on top of the pumpkin.  Is there any reason that screwing the flexible line right in the caliper is a bad idea?

And then running the line over the axle to a mount similar to this welded onto the housing?  Or should I just run new hard lines similar to the stock setup?

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:10:04 PM by Toy_Yoda »

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #68 on: Mar 10, 2015, 12:14:13 PM »
You can get 90' fittings with a swivel akin to hard line that would save the ferrule sticking straight out and possibly catching on something. Nice Miller! Im saving to upgrade my fleet, i have the big generator and was so impressed i want the power of blue throughout the shop. Except for the plasma.. :usa:
Im lovin your reinforcment plates under the motor mounts been considering somethin similar but we'll see how it fits in round the other items i have to glue on.
Do you use an instantaneous welding helmet/mask/screen/whateveryouguyscallthem?

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Mar 11, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
You can get 90' fittings with a swivel akin to hard line that would save the ferrule sticking straight out and possibly catching on something. Nice Miller! Im saving to upgrade my fleet, i have the big generator and was so impressed i want the power of blue throughout the shop. Except for the plasma.. :usa:
Im lovin your reinforcment plates under the motor mounts been considering somethin similar but we'll see how it fits in round the other items i have to glue on.
Do you use an instantaneous welding helmet/mask/screen/whateveryouguyscallthem?

I've been wanting a plasma since I started using the welder.  I've not researched them much but are millers not so good when it comes to the plasma?  What brand would you get?  As for the helmet yes I use an auto darking helmet.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #70 on: Mar 11, 2015, 12:56:03 PM »
I've been wanting a plasma since I started using the welder.  I've not researched them much but are millers not so good when it comes to the plasma?  What brand would you get?  As for the helmet yes I use an auto darking helmet.
I have a hypertherm and i love it so. :love:
They do small high capacity machines that run off 115v, the torches are small and light, and have a small enough shroud that you can follow a MDF template if you reduce the size of it by 5mm on all outside edges.
Ive used thermadyne plasmas and didnt like them.
One thing to consider when purchasing is its air requirements, they dont need a massive amount of pressure (85psi or so)but do require volume. A 50ltr tank isnt enough as hypertherm machines use post cut air flow to cool the torch tip.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Mar 16, 2015, 06:45:43 AM »
Finished welding up and painting the rear axle.  Hopefully will have it all put together by the end of the week.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:13:01 PM by Toy_Yoda »

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:11:18 AM »
Made a bit more progress over the weekend.  I moved my rear spring mounts back about 1.5 inches as I wasn't happy with the shackle angle.

Here is the old shackle angle

And here is the new angle after moving the hangers forward.  If I place all my weight (~195 lbs) on one side of the frame the shackle angle is ~20 degrees.  I figure that should be close to the angle once the bed is placed back on the frame.  I'm much happier with the current placement but will still wait to see how things look with the bed on before finish welding the hangers on.

Also, got the 3rd installed on the rear axle and bolted up.  Hope to have the FROR full float fully installed and back on four wheels by next weekend.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:18:18 PM by Toy_Yoda »

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
Looking good.  I would have waited on the shackle angle.  For two reasons; 1, there is no weight, bed bumper, spare, etc.  2. new springs settle.  So, once things are all loaded up, and broke in, you might have gone too far on the shackle angle now.  I would have left the front leaf spring mount where it was, and if you needed more shackle angle, its easier to move the shackle mount forward later on.   Seen too many guys do this same thought process.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 1,554
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #74 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
What I did was buy 80lb bags of concrete for 2.50 a bag. Added about the right amount and welded everything.

Oddly enough concrete was the cheapest heavy thing I could find.
If you see it, its for sale.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Mar 23, 2015, 01:16:09 PM »
Looking good.  I would have waited on the shackle angle.  For two reasons; 1, there is no weight, bed bumper, spare, etc.  2. new springs settle.  So, once things are all loaded up, and broke in, you might have gone too far on the shackle angle now.  I would have left the front leaf spring mount where it was, and if you needed more shackle angle, its easier to move the shackle mount forward later on.   Seen too many guys do this same thought process.

That's why I added my own weight to get an idea of what the cab might do.  In the end they are still only tacked on and moving them only took about 30min so changing again if needed wont be hard.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Mar 23, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
 :thumbs:

i love this 3rd gen!

cant wait to see the cab and bed dropped back on it
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
:thumbs:

i love this 3rd gen!

cant wait to see the cab and bed dropped back on it

Thanks 1985CRAWLER I really want see the cab on as well.  Shouldn't be to long...

More than anything however, I want to drive it again.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:47:08 AM »
Got the mounting bracket, axle and spindle installed on the rear housing last night.

Used a new o ring and some gray RTV as suggested by 4x4 wire. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/fullfloater/

Then greased up the axle shaft and installed the spindle, gaskets and seal.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:20:27 PM by Toy_Yoda »

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Mar 26, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »
looking great! Keep up the good work :beerchug:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Mar 30, 2015, 07:50:26 AM »
Got the hubs, drive flanges and my original front calipers installed on the rear axle.

Now I ended up needed to install 1/4" spacers on the front axle in order to clear the Tacoma calipers on the front with my original 15" rims.  I was surprised to find out that I also needed to install small spacers on the rear in order to clear my IFS front calipers.  In the end I needed to install two of these 1/4" spacers on both sides (total of 1/2") to clear the caliper.

Now the spacers are only temporary until I get new rims but I was surprised that the rear needed any spacers.  I've not read about anyone having clearance issues with the FROR full float and IFS front calipers.  My current rims are 15" steelies with what I believe is 4" backspacing.  I'm planning to run 17" wheels and I know that should help to eliminate any clearance issues with the front.  I'm currently thinking about ordering a single 17" rim in order to check clearance issues before ordering the other 4 wheels.  Would less backspacing say 3" possibly help with the clearance issue?

Anyway put the spacers on and got it back on 4 wheels.

Next step is to figure out how to get the cab and bed mounted by myself.  I'm currently thinking about building some type of structure out of the pile of 4x4's and 6x6's I have along with a 1 ton chain hoist so that I can push the frame under and drop the cab back down on top. 

Anyone have some tricks on getting the cab back on over the engine that I might not be thinking about?  I do have a 2 ton engine hoist but it cannot lift the cab high enough without some type of magic.   
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:22:53 PM by Toy_Yoda »

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
Got a local rental shop? Rent a gantry crane. 

Find out which way your trusses run in the ceiling, and punch a couple holes thru the sheetrock.  And lay at least a 10' 4x4 or splice together 2-6' 4x4's together, across the rafters in the ceiling.  And wrap some chain links around the 4x4 and down thru holes.  Put a pulley at the end of each chain link.  And just run some cable thru the pulleys.  I've done something similar to this, but my rafters are all exposed in my shop. 

Or if you have at least 3 other people you know, and bribe them with pizza and beer.  This is the cheapest route.  :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Mar 30, 2015, 11:55:55 AM »

Find out which way your trusses run in the ceiling, and punch a couple holes thru the sheetrock.  And lay at least a 10' 4x4 or splice together 2-6' 4x4's together, across the rafters in the ceiling.  And wrap some chain links around the 4x4 and down thru holes.  Put a pulley at the end of each chain link.  And just run some cable thru the pulleys.  I've done something similar to this, but my rafters are all exposed in my shop. 

Not a bad idea I will have to measure and see if there is enough clearance in my garage.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #83 on: Mar 30, 2015, 12:32:58 PM »
Or get a length of 2" box section steel and clamp it to the top of the jib of the engine crane, its two ton capable so should be able to pick a bed up and dangle it over the frame, i recommend counterweighting the back so it doesnt tip over if your new extended jib extends past the front wheels.
You could even remove the factory extending jib and replace it instead of clamping to it.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Mar 30, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »
Or get a length of 2" box section steel and clamp it to the top of the jib of the engine crane, its two ton capable so should be able to pick a bed up and dangle it over the frame, i recommend counterweighting the back so it doesnt tip over if your new extended jib extends past the front wheels.
You could even remove the factory extending jib and replace it instead of clamping to it.

Also a good idea.  Thanks guys both these methods could work well and be easier and cheaper than my original idea.   

In terms of counterweight I could possibly anchor the rear in my driveway... Have to thing about how to do that as I'm pretty sure it would over hang the front wheels.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #85 on: Mar 30, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
Also a good idea.  Thanks guys both these methods could work well and be easier and cheaper than my original idea.   

In terms of counterweight I could possibly anchor the rear in my driveway... Have to thing about how to do that as I'm pretty sure it would over hang the front wheels.

Borrow next doors plant pots.... Dog..... Cat... Ratchet strap the top of the crane just before the jib pivot to the front of another car. Or drive over the slack end of the strap and put the ratchet on the crane.

Trucks lookin sweet btw

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Apr 13, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »
No real update as I've been busy getting things ready for baby number 2 but I did get these puppies in the mail from 4x innovations last week.

I'm still working on how exactly I'm gonna get the cab and bed back on but I think I'll be going with something along these lines...

I measured and I would need about an 8' section of 2" to get the cab high enough but still working on how to anchor the back of the crane.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:24:38 PM by Toy_Yoda »

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Apr 20, 2015, 05:56:37 AM »
Made some progress over the weekend...

Finally was able to get the bed placed back on the frame.  Still need to do the cab (next weekend :crossed:) but the bed went smoothly.

I picked up a 10' piece of 2" and 3/16" square tube and drilled some holes so that it could be bolted up into my engine hoist.  Then I used a ratchet strap to anchor it to the hitch on my Tundra. 

Worked pretty slick for the bed.

Went on easy but I never realized how small my old 31" tires are... Also sitting a little higher than I like but I knew this would be an issue with the TG 4" lift (the price was too right to pass up at the time)  Later on I plan to install better and lower lift springs (OME, Daves or Alcans?). 

And finally the shackle angle with the bed on...

The angle measures ~28 degrees from 90 I think I want move the front hangers forward just a touch so that the angle is around to 20-25 so once the springs settle it will be around 35-40 (Would also help position the wheels in the wheel wells of the bed a bit better).  Thoughts on the amount of settling and the best final angle?  I've read some where around 15-20 degrees after the springs settle and that somewhere between 35-45 is the ideal shackle angle.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:27:23 PM by Toy_Yoda »

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #88 on: Apr 20, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »
Made some progress over the weekend...

Finally was able to get the bed placed back on the frame.  Still need to do the cab (next weekend :crossed:) but the bed went smoothly.

When i said heavy i wasnt expecting that heavy....

All good progress...:thumbs:

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Apr 27, 2015, 06:27:04 AM »
Finally got the cab placed back on the truck :clap:

Used the same method for the cab as I did for the bed and it worked pretty well.

and finally back on...

Now that there is weight back on the cab I have a list of things to start working on.

- Move front spring hanger back ~1/2-1" to correct the front shackle angle
- Move the rear hangers forward (again) ~1-1.5" and move the rear shackle mounts forward ~1/2"

Looking to get the shackle angles to ~20 degrees with the new springs so will have a final angle of 35-40ish.

- Cut out room for the steering box as it was moved forward as far as possible.
- Cut out space for the dual case shifters.
- Decided if I want to bob the bed and if so mark where to cut.
- Locate and tack in place rock sliders.
- Install front and rear shock mounts.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 01:29:41 PM by Toy_Yoda »