Author Topic: ToyYoda's 1994 Pickup Build Thread  (Read 100370 times)

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 1994 Pickup First Build Thread
« Reply #180 on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:53:44 AM »
FIXED
Alright, she is back on 4 wheels for hopefully the last time :smokin:

Still need to tighten a few bolts up, put in the shocks and clean some minor rust on a few spots on the springs and the suspension is pretty much done.  THEN IT'S ON TO THE 3RZ SWAP, running new brake and fuel lines, figuring out where the gas tank is gonna sit and a million other things...

83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

JANDO11

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 106
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Mar '10
  • MS racing
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #181 on: Dec 19, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »
looking good man!!!!!
my build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88876.0

COFFIN CRAWLERZ
DFD 
1988 turbo xtra cab, 3RZ, links
1985 pickup, 37 mtr
1985 4runner SR5, KINGS, LINKS, BUMPS, 40s

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -120
  • Male Posts: 204
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:32:21 AM »
Pretty much finished with the frame.  Got the leafs and ubolts all bolted down and the shocks installed. :clap:

A Shot of Daves rear shock mount with shocks installed.  I'm thinking I might have to redo the rear bump stops a little not sure if they are tall enough to help much.  Still need to flex the suspension to see how things go.

A Close up of the front shocks.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:50:57 AM »
Christmas gift so I can start on the brake lines soon.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Dec 27, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »
Then I started on the engine rebuild... But first a little back story on the engine. The original 22re in the pickup over heated when I was young (do to not changing the oil :hammerhead:) and was replaced with a rebuilt from the dealership probably 130,000+ miles ago.  About 4 years ago I replaced the head gasket, had the head cleaned and a new cam installed along with LCE dual row timing chain upgrade and metal guides.  The head did need a helicoil in one of the spark plugs holes when it was cleaned so I'm thinking of getting a new one from 22re performance. The bottom end hasn't been touched (by me) and this will be my first time tearing into it so I'll be taking a lot of pictures and probably asking a few questions along the way.  My plans for the engine are to keep it close to stock with some mild upgrades.  Once the engine is apart I'll take it to the machine shop and have it cleaned and surfaced.  I'm not planning to oversize the pistons unless the cylinder walls need more than just a little honing.  I'll be replacing most everything with new parts along the way depending on how things look.  Now for some pictures.

Here is the 22re right after pulling it.

And with the valve cover off.  I must say its so much better working on an engine that is on a stand versus in the truck.

Notice the weird yellow crap in the water pump.  Not sure what it is but I didn't see any more of it.

Close up.  Any ideas what it is?  Its soft and crumbly. :headscratch:

Shot with the valve cover off.

Rocker arm assembly off.

shot of the lobe wear on the camshaft.

Head Gasket looks good.

Some carbon build up on all the piston tops.
Piston 1

Piston 2

And the valves

Any thoughts on the carbon build up or anything else?  I'm pretty new to diagnosing engine issues but the build up looks a little heavy.

Timing cover removed

And the oil pan removed.  No metal or plastic bits in the pan.

And that is where I'm at right now.  Plan to get the rest of the bottom end removed before the new year.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
Finally got the bottom end tore down, and I'm glad I did.  I had debated about not rebuilding the engine since it ran decent when I pulled it and I'm getting anxious to drive her again seeing as I'm now in year 3 of the build.  Anyway on to some pictures of the crank and bearings. 

couple of shots of the main bearings

I think its safe to say they didn't have much life left.  The grooves are pretty large and easily felt with the finger

Crank shaft also shows some damage

I didn't get a shot of the rod bearings yet but they look slightly better than the mains but still pretty worn out

Also, started to order some engine parts and the first box arrived yesterday.

I just have a couple of oil galley plugs to remove and then the block is ready to send to the machinist. 

Anyone from the Houston area know a good machinist I should contact?

79chevy39.5s

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 197
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »
When I do 22s I do all stock pistons and rods balanced and harp rod bolts at minimum. I got head studs this time around too

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
Got the block all tore down and sent to the machine shop yesteday.

Pic of it ready to head out.

Plan is to get it cleaned, bored .020" over, line honed (for ARP main studs) and resurfaced.  I sent the time cover with along with it so the two can be surfaced as a unit.  I found what I hope is a good shop in the Houston area called http://www.macksmotorparts.com/ it has some good reviews online and the guys seem knowledgeable and friendly.

Also got some more parts in the mail.

New LC crankshaft with the specs sheet.

My stock crank was out of spec and had a pretty significant groove from the rear main seal.  It could have been ground and polished but I decided to run with a new one.

Also picked up new Pistons (.020") and rods from 22re performance.  The rods have been balanced and fitted with ARP studs.

Lastly, I went ahead and pickup up a crank scraper (cause it looked neat) and new Clevite main bearings.

Anyone have experience with using a crankscaper?  The info online makes them seem like a decent idea but not one that is truly necessary.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:36:14 AM »
Crank scrapers and Windage trays are all designed for racing.  Mostly drag or circuit track.  Any benefits are seen in the higher revving engines.  All they do is help keep more oil in the pan, and not slinging around.  Putting one in our motors is more of a waste, in my opinion.  But keep us informed of your build, I know its a slow process, but I enjoy seeing your rig coming alive slowly.

You motor pic reminds me of my headgasket job I am elbow deep into.   And I just called 22REPerformance for parts last week.  I wouldn't hesitate in ordering from them again.  Definitely better made stuff.  I ordered their Headgasket, and then for all the other gaskets I got a Fel-Pro.  Fel-Pro stuff doesn't compare to Putneys stuff.  Putneys headgasket is twice the gasket. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »
Crank scrapers and Windage trays are all designed for racing.  Mostly drag or circuit track.  Any benefits are seen in the higher revving engines.  All they do is help keep more oil in the pan, and not slinging around.  Putting one in our motors is more of a waste, in my opinion.  But keep us informed of your build, I know its a slow process, but I enjoy seeing your rig coming alive slowly.

You motor pic reminds me of my headgasket job I am elbow deep into.   And I just called 22REPerformance for parts last week.  I wouldn't hesitate in ordering from them again.  Definitely better made stuff.  I ordered their Headgasket, and then for all the other gaskets I got a Fel-Pro.  Fel-Pro stuff doesn't compare to Putneys stuff.  Putneys headgasket is twice the gasket.

Almost all the New engines come with a crank scraper or windage tray.
I also purchased the crank scraper for My 22re, But.........
Misplaced it when I was assembling the engine  :hammerhead: I still have it, I am sure it will make its way onto the engine at some point.
http://www.crank-scrapers.com/What%20is%20a%20crank-scraper.html
This is a very small performance gain. Pennies do add up to nickels. 1/2 Hp here, 1/2 HP there, And You will receive 1 extra HP :sly:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:28:29 AM »

Thanks, yes build is going slow (slower than I had hoped but I guess having a couple of kids will do that).  I was starting to burn out a bit for a while but finally getting the frame and suspension all finished up has got me back in the garage every chance I get.  I really like 22REPerformance as well and I'm planning to order a decent amount of stuff from them in the coming months to finish up the engine. 

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:33:03 AM »
I understand the kids thing.  I have 3, and they took alot of time and money away from my rig. 

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:42:34 AM »
Got the engine back from the machine shop yesterday and got it back up on the engine stand.

It looks like they did a good job but I've not had much time to inspect all the work yet.  They cleaned it up, bored it over .02", decked to block .005" along with the timing cover and did an alignment honing with the ARP main studs installed.  The also put a fresh coat of paint and installed new freeze plus.  I didn't expect them to put the freeze plugs as I had already order new brass plugs but I guess I'll leave the steel ones installed and save the brass plugs for another time.

Close up of the cylinders

And a look at the bottom end after the hone job with ARP studs still installed.

I still need to wipe down the engine and clean up a couple things then it will be on to installing the new crank shaft and checking oil clearances on the main and rod bearings.

And a close up of the hone job on the mains

and

I found this on the box I brought all the parts in with.  I guess its an accurate description and I've been laughing about it since I've saw it.

Finally a couple more parts came in the mail.  New rod and thrust bearings to go along with my no longer needed brass freeze plugs.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »
I started checking oil clearance on the main bearings and everything looks to check out.  This is my first time using plastigauge and checking oil clearance so if anything looks off let me know.

first off is the new torque wrench I picked up.  I've been using the older bar torque wrench forever and figured it was time to move up.  It worked awesome on the main caps.

Main bearings installed in the block

New LC crankshaft dropped in

I installed everything dry and torqued everything down in 3 passes to 90 ft-lbs as per the ARP instructions.  I was careful not to move or rotate the crank while doing this.

And the plastigauge...

Main bearing 1 (inches and mm)

Main bearing 2

Main bearing 4

Main bearing 5

I didn't get a good shot of the 3rd bearing but it check out the same as the others.

They all checked out at .038mm/.0015" which is right in the middle of where it should be according to the FSM.

That is where I'm at now.  Time to clean everything up and installed the crank a final time (unless some sees something off).

Cheesemaker

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »
I am definitely following this.  I plan on building a spare motor.  And have never done something like this.  Hell, I am elbow deep into a headgasket job, and I never thought I would ever be doing that. 

So, keep the posts and pictures. 

Capra

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 468
  • Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Feb 07, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »
Man, I wish I could strip my truck apart like this. I'd love to have everything all cleaned up like that. Looks beautiful! :clap:

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:14:22 AM »
A little progress update.

Got the new LCE crank installed with the new bearings, oil gally plugs and ARP studs (used permatex ulta lube and ARP torque lube for final assembly). Torqued everything down in three passes to a finaly 90 ft/lbs according to ARP instructions.  Rotates nice smooth.

Also put together the new pistons and rods from 22re performance.  Everything went together smoothly and seems nice and tight with no play.

Planning to get the rings installed on the pistons and set into the block soon.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Feb 24, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
Checked my ring gap on the #1 cylinder last night.  I checked each ring at multiple spots along the bore and got the same measurements (which I believe I should giving its been freshly bored .02 over). 

I believe everything is good to go on the #1 cyclinder but this is my first time installing rings so I figured I run the numbers by here and Pirate to double check.

These are the numbers that Hastings provided on the box for the .02 over rings I got with their pistons.

Checking my ring gaps I got .012"-.014" on the top ring.  .012" fits nicely in the gap while the .014" was a bit snug but still slipped between the gap.

The Middle ring was similar in the .014" fit nicely while .016" fit but was a bit snug.  .017" didn't fit

The lower rings all gaped at .035" which fit nicely (I didn't have a .036" feeler gauge)

I still need to check the crank shaft thrust clearance but then its on to installing the pistons. 

What does everyone do to lube the cylinder wall and piston prior to installing?  I've ready a bunch of stuff from using Assembly lube, dipping the piston in clean motor oil to WD40.  The FSM just says to coat the bore with clean oil and slide the piston on in.  I'm currently leaning towards coating the bore and piston skirt with clean oil and sliding them on in.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: Feb 24, 2017, 01:48:31 PM »
Lots of clean oil on the cyl. wall, Piston, and the piston Ring compressor. There is no such thing as to Much oil during this part of the Assembly. Also don't forget to cover the rod bolts when knocking in the pistons, they can easily gouge the cyl. wall or crank shaft journal.
Best of Luck.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:00:32 AM »
Engine rebuild continues to chug along. 

Checked my crankshaft thrust clearance which came out at .05mm/.00197" (FSM calls for .02-.22mm/.0008-.0087") so that looks like it checks out.

Also checked bearing clearance on the 1st rod which came out at .025mm (FSM calls for .025-.055mm) so again it looks like that checks out.

Since everything checked out on the fist piston I went ahead and finally installed it!  I oriented the ring gaps as per the FSM coated with some new engine brake in oil (Mixima) and slid the Piston in to place, lubed up the rod bearings and torqued her down the 50 in-lbs as per ARP's instructions.   Finally gave hrer a spin to make sure there was no binding.  All looks good for the first piston.  Hoping to get the rest of the pistons installed over the next few days.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Mar 09, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
Question for everyone.  I upgraded to the LCE dual row timing chain ~2000-3000 miles ago and I'm trying to decide if I should rerun the chain and tensioner or install new ones while I have it all apart.  I'm leaning towards rerunning them both as they have minimal miles on them and I've already dropped a few pennies on the engine so saving a few wouldn't hurt.  In the end I don't want to cut any corners so I'm looking for peoples opinion whether to run the old or get new.   

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:31:04 AM »
I'd run the new/ old.  If the motor was this tired, it shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Mar 12, 2017, 01:54:38 AM »
The double-row is good for 200K and then some, use it.   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #203 on: Mar 12, 2017, 05:07:59 AM »
...  I'm no expert welder by any means and have only been doing it a short while.  I'm posting a weld pic so if anyone can point out anything I can do better by all means let me know.

I am no expert welder by any stretch, but according to the experts on welding bead analysis, it looks like you may be moving the gun a little too fast.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #204 on: Mar 12, 2017, 05:20:01 AM »
Question for everyone.  I upgraded to the LCE dual row timing chain ~2000-3000 miles ago ... I don't want to cut any corners so I'm looking for peoples opinion whether to run the old or get new.   

I would think that reusing it would NOT be considered "cutting corners".  Arguably, a quality t-chain kit with metal guides should be good for 80,000 to 100,000 miles.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  The consensus seems to be "rerun it" so that's what I'm planning to do.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:53:51 AM »

I am no expert welder by any stretch, but according to the experts on welding bead analysis, it looks like you may be moving the gun a little too fast.

Gnarls.

I agree.  With my earlier welds I tended to move the gun a little fast.  As I've got more practice I've slowed down a touch and the welds have started to look much better (most of time).  I still struggle a bit if I don't have the piece oriented in the right position.

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: Mar 21, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
Finally got all the Pistons installed in the block.  All ring gaps checked out similar to the first bore and the oil clearance checked out on all the rods.  After installing the all Pistons and rods I did a little test fit of the crankscraper.

The oil clearance came out at .025 on the first three cylinders and .038 on the 4th.

I also checked the thrust clearance on all four rods (0.25, 0.25, 0.25 and 0.23 mm) which is all within spec according to the FSM (0.16-0.26 mm)

I did run into a slight snag while reinstalling the timing chain guides.  One of the bolts stripped out the bolt hole on the block  :thumbdown:.  Fortunately, the bolt holes are pretty deep and threaded all the way down so I was able to pick up some longer bolts at ACE and got the guides installed without issue.  They where out of the correct length allen head bolts but they did have some button head bolts which worked just fine.  I went ahead and replaced all four of the guide bolts with new longer ones.

nk

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 72
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Mar 21, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
Hey man really nice work. I have a 94 x-cab that i pretty much slapped an SAS on and ran with. At this point the front frame is tearing around the steering box and right behind the crossmeber in the drivers side...so I fixed the cracks and will be plating etc...the usual stuff...BUT the one thing that's really bugging me is I cant just stick a nice gusset in that corner due to the radiator. Looking at your frame it looks like that's exactly what you did. Have you checked the clearance on the radiator or do you have a plan for spacing it? moving it? maybe its not an issue on a 22R but I have a 3.0 (swapping to 3.4 next winter) and mine runs right up into that corner and hangs about 1/8" below the crossmember. I am really hoping a new set of body mounts brings it up enough I can gusset the lower corner but other than that I think I am going to have to bend the inner frame reinforcing plate into that corner and hope that does it. Just curious if you checked that...
oops...

Toy_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
.BUT the one thing that's really bugging me is I cant just stick a nice gusset in that corner due to the radiator. Looking at your frame it looks like that's exactly what you did. Have you checked the clearance on the radiator or do you have a plan for spacing it? moving it? maybe its not an issue on a 22R but I have a 3.0 (swapping to 3.4 next winter) and mine runs right up into that corner and hangs about 1/8" below the crossmember. I am really hoping a new set of body mounts brings it up enough I can gusset the lower corner but other than that I think I am going to have to bend the inner frame reinforcing plate into that corner and hope that does it. Just curious if you checked that...

I really did not check that :hammerhead:.  I did a quick measurement last night and it looks like I might have a slight clearance issue due to the gussets I installed in the frame.  As of right now I'm not going to worry to much about it and will cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks for pointing that out, but now you've got me researching radiator options...