Author Topic: New Bfg At KO2  (Read 32326 times)

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Re: New Bfg At KO2
« Reply #30 on: Nov 23, 2015, 05:24:26 PM »
update:

I just found my receipt from when i purchased these tires.  I have 10,076 miles on them as of right now, i have only rotated them once.  :hammer:  I have 13/32" of tread left on the back tires and 12/32 left on the front tires.  Brand new these come with 15/32" of tread for this size.   http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/size/265/75/16/OE/BNW/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details#techspecs

kneedownnate [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:00:06 PM »
Good to know they're still working well for you!  We have a customer who's a forester and has run bfg at's for a long time.  His job consists of going behind long ago locked gates on roads that haven't seen vehicles in a long, long time.  They're usually rutted and very rocky since no vehicles have driven them to keep the road smoother.  He ran the old style and tore the crap out of them, and I've been watching them as he comes in for rotos and you can tell he runs them off-road, but they're not tearing up or chunking out like the old ones.

On a side note, I finally know what our new cooper mtp will look like...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #32 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
I have kinda been lookin at these for the jeep. I think they would work well esp if the sidewalls are better
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 24, 2015, 08:03:30 AM »
Thanks for the update dingman! nice to see they are wearing so slowly.
I have kinda been lookin at these for the jeep. I think they would work well esp if the sidewalls are better

I looked at a lot of a/t tires and most had 2ply sidewalls on the ones with the more aggressive tread that I was interested in, the ko2s are a 3ply and if you belive the hype use the same sidewalls as their Baja racing tires.

These tires really grip well on curvy mountain roads! I went to visit my mom yesterday in concow and if you have ever driven that road you know the hairpin turns Im talking about. I could actually hear the tread and sipes gripping, did I mention these TIRES ARE QUIET!

Keep in mind I have been running toyo mts for years, with their heavy(duty) carcass, built for fullsize truck stiff sidewalls and mud terrain tread drone.

Kaos III%

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2015, 01:32:27 PM »
just ordered mine today wooooooooo hoooooo
Aut Vincere Aut  Mori

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2015, 09:42:06 PM »
the ko2s are a 3ply and if you belive the hype use the same sidewalls as their Baja racing tires.

Don't quote me on it, but inspired by, not the same as. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 11, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »
Don't quote me on it, but inspired by, not the same as. 
:rofl2: :yupyup: sorry man it had to be done!.. :D
I think you are right though.

BPINAZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2015, 07:39:55 AM »
I just put a set of 35" KO2's on my DD/tow rig. They're great.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough. I've got the scars to prove it

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »
We are still on the fence between these or some KM2s in 35x12.50 15, but we are leaning towards these.  The majority of my wheeling is deep snow with miles of packed snow or dirt farm roads in between. I have never been disappointed with any of the BFG all terrains I have ran in the past and I've even been spanked in the snow by guys running them when I had been running more aggressive tread designs.  I think the slight stager of the side lugs and the side wall meat will put them even more in league with light mud terrains.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2015, 01:10:25 PM »
If flotation is the goal in winter, the AT's will give you a bigger footprint than their same sized MT counterparts, and at a higher psi level as well.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2016, 03:58:09 PM »
My festiva seems to have a hole in a piston.  Not really worth a rebuild.  Looks like I will be commuting in the 4runner this year.  +1 for the ATs.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #41 on: Jan 08, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »
The savvy off road "JK" is racing KOH with the AT this year I think. At least it has been out wheeling Hammers with them a bunch which is impressive. I would put them on my jeep for sure.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:22:02 AM »
Got to get in a couple hours of short course snow wheeling in drifts and holes yesterday.  I was wheeling with a buddy running 36" swampers and I basically waxed in my worn, cut falkens.  Both trucks with the same gearing and locked front and rear.  It was a nice MT vs. AT snow test with one of the nastiest mud terrains and one of the sissiest all terrains.  AT won for sure.  +1 for the AT snow wheeling.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Feb 19, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on 11 of these.  5 35x12.50 15s for the 4runner and 6 235/85 16s for the dually.  Reviews will be pending.
– Steve McQueen

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
Discount tire again?
RIP KYOTA

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Feb 21, 2016, 01:57:38 PM »
I got them from 4 Wheel Parts this time.  Usually discount is a better deal but they were like $60 less per tire from 4 Wheel Parts after the discount they have right now.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 02:09:20 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #46 on: Feb 21, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »
I am tempted to get these in a 37
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Feb 21, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »
They would have price matched sir!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:35:27 AM »
They would have price matched sir!

Yeah I know.  I had a few other misc items I ordered with the tires and they were free shipping because of the tires, so that saved me an a little more in the grand scheme of things.  I've been really happy with Discount Tire over the years and I will certainly do business with them again.

Both outfits have been generous sponsors of our 4x4 trials events over the years so I try to spread the love around if I can.
– Steve McQueen

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1269
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:46:33 AM »
I am running these on my 99... love them and they do great in the snow! I was going places with no lockers that my buddy fully locked with 37" mtr's couldn't. Not sure how they do on rocks and dirt yet but I'm hoping for the best!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Feb 29, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »
Still waiting for these, or rather one of the 35s and all the 235/85 16s for the dually before they ship. A couple weeks they say. I guess they are popular.  It will give me time to clean up my old steel wheels.
– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Mar 04, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »
I stopped in at Discount Tire today to get my BFG KM2 tires rotated and discovered that they are too old to be serviced by Discount anymore. They can do air checks, can remove them (for replacement purposes), but cannot put them back on. I got them in 2007, I think, and they have about half the tread left. Seems like a very cover your butt type of rule, but such is life in these litigious times...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »
I stopped in at Discount Tire today to get my BFG KM2 tires rotated and discovered that they are too old to be serviced by Discount anymore. They can do air checks, can remove them (for replacement purposes), but cannot put them back on. I got them in 2007, I think, and they have about half the tread left. Seems like a very cover your butt type of rule, but such is life in these litigious times...

Unless the original paperwork had a time exclusion, I don't think they can do that..........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »

Unless the original paperwork had a time exclusion, I don't think they can do that..........

I didn't question the guy since he's one that I've had dealings with for a long time and even though I hadn't been in for a lot time he met me half way to the counter to shake my hand and clearly recognized me.  I might have questioned it more had I not had a history with him.  I figured that kneedownnate might have some insight...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:34:39 PM »
I will preface this by saying I just pulled old ko's off my truck that were 13-14 years old -

They absolutely can!  It is a degredation of rubber/safety issue.  It has nothing to do with the depth of the tread and everything to do with integrity of the tires.  Oils in the tires dissipate over time and tires become more and more brittle and unsafe. 

Trust me, I see it every day, and it's usually only old kodgers who feel their tires are still fine when there are cracks deep enough to see the steel belts.  They are there to sell tires, but the first and biggest thing they're taught is to get their customers safe.  I cannot tell you how many times I've traded in a tire for good money, only to turn around and give it to somebody else for free because they're either too stubhorn to pay for a safe tire or are truly in a tight spot.

I've also twice honored the free replacement warranty on tires at the 8 and 9 year old mark.  The tires still appeared in very good condition for their age.  And the warranty only says it is valid for 3 years on the receipt...
RIP KYOTA

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #55 on: Mar 05, 2016, 01:08:20 AM »
I didn't think age ALONE would be a factor.

Tires will degrade at different rates.       

A 5 year old tire could be in worse shape than a 8 year old tire...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Mar 05, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
It could, but a 10 year old tire is just plain old and is a good stopping point.  I think it is always harder for people who may only buy tires every couple years or so to understand than it is for people who see enough tires to pull several hundred a week off delivery trucks  :dunno:

The oil dissipation rate will change, but even a new tire left in a controlled environment for 10 years is not safe for road use.  And people often say they're a good enough driver or they're not afraid of having a tire blow out.  Great, kudos to them, but they're not who we're concerned about.  What about the soccer mom behind you who has to deal with a tread cap smacking the front of the van at 70 mph, or the motorcyclist dealing with tire parts being flung at them?

Just be safe.  Just be smart  ;)
RIP KYOTA

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Mar 05, 2016, 12:47:06 PM »
It could, but a 10 year old tire is just plain old and is a good stopping point.  I think it is always harder for people who may only buy tires every couple years or so to understand than it is for people who see enough tires to pull several hundred a week off delivery trucks  :dunno:

The oil dissipation rate will change, but even a new tire left in a controlled environment for 10 years is not safe for road use.  And people often say they're a good enough driver or they're not afraid of having a tire blow out.  Great, kudos to them, but they're not who we're concerned about.  What about the soccer mom behind you who has to deal with a tread cap smacking the front of the van at 70 mph, or the motorcyclist dealing with tire parts being flung at them?

Just be safe.  Just be smart  ;)

Mine have about 50% tread (don't plan or want to run the tread gone) and is has been in the garage in a not dry climate. They really look great, but I would love to replace them sooner rather than later.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Mar 05, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
I've run the BFG At's  for years with zero problems.  The last set I ran lasted me 8 years and the only reason I got new tires, besides their age, was that the sidewalls were leaking air.  The tread was still good for 10-12k, with 58k on them already.  Got a new set of the KO2's for the 4Runner and have nothing but good things to say for rocks, snow, dirt and highway.  They're better in mud than the old style but they're Not mud tires.  Everyone says they're so quiet.  If you are used to a mud tire's whine, then they are.  Everyone seems to be afraid of hurting BFG's feelings about the constant whir these new things put out, NOT I!  The old KO's weren't even noticeable on your rig but like I said the KO2's have a constant whir, so don't expect them to be transparent as the old shoes.  Other than that I find them to be an acceptable replacement for the old ones.  I put the KM2's on my truck instead, if I'm gonna' have some noise I want lots of it!  The 4Runner is the wife's rig, she liked it better quiet!   :driving::driving:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Mar 18, 2016, 07:40:38 AM »
Just got 11 of these delivered to the end of my driveway (I use the term driveway very loosely) from a semi yesterday.  6 235/85 16s and 5 35x12.50 15s. 

It will be a week or two before I can mount them up. I will post pics.
– Steve McQueen