Author Topic: Axle Stuck in Housing  (Read 7523 times)

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Axle Stuck in Housing
« on: Jul 23, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »
When I was tearing everything down the birf slid right off the axle.

Whoever rebuilt the axle last did not use the Outer C-Clip to keep the axle and birf together

I can barely get my hand in the ball to try and pull the axle out.  I'm not making any headway  :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

Any advice on how to remove the axle from the housing when you don't have the birf to pull it out?

If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Axle Stuck in Housing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
I don't wanna accidentally jack up any of the splines and ruin the the axle.

The best thing I can come up with is use some vice grips on the Inner C-Clip that is still there and hopefully be able to get enough pull force that way.

Not sure if any kinda of a 'puller' would work on the C-Clip also.

Thanks for any input

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2014, 02:43:01 PM »
hmm, you must have big hands. what about using a piece of para? cord with a slip knot behind that snap ring?
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »
That was another thought I had.  Gonna go at it later. I hate working when frustrated.  I always screw something up when I do :maddest:

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
That was another thought I had.  Gonna go at it later. I hate working when frustrated.  I always screw something up when I do :maddest:

I know all about that.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »
get the round clip that goes on the end, compress into birfield,than pull whole axle out
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »
get the round clip that goes on the end, compress into birfield,than pull whole axle out

You are a freaking genius :thumbs: :thumbs:  Guess it's good I have spares on order.  Will still try other means just to see what's possible.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
Use the force  :cheese:
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 526
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »
that little hole on the end filled with red grease is threaded!  unless i am totally confused as to what i am looking at.
i think its a 8x1.25, not positive.  but its a standard toy bolt.  put a bolt on it with a huge thick fender washer.  drop a big open ended wrench over the washer and start sledging or prying the shaft out.  it should come out easily
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »
A small piece of wood and a pry bar in the trunnion bearing hole, up against the c clip, will pop that axle right out. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »
Tried pulling off with Para Cord.  I'm not the strongest but not the weakest.  165lbs, pulling with full body weight leaning backwards.  Paracord and knot held fine, but shaft would not budge at all.  I can't imagine I would need to pull this hard.

Good news is the small shaft side came apart just fine.  (Although birf did not have the compression ring and so came off, but then the short shaft came out easily without much force at all.)  Didn't have the outer axle lock ring that is supposed to hold Hub Body on either.

I did notice what I am assuming is a 'martack' on the inner spines of the short shaft.  Pic only shows 1 of 3 tacks on the short shaft.

If their is a similar tack on the long shaft can that screw something up if it wasn't done right that would wedge/crush/whatever the inside shaft to the diff gears?

Got frustrated again after yanking like crazy with the para cord.  Will try Wood + Pry bar through Trunion Hole next.

Any other pointers anybody got.  Not sure if it is even possible to open the diff to 'unstick' whatever is stuck in there.  Figure if going from the inside is the only option, that long shaft and seal are staying for now and the rebuild will continue without replacement.  Fortunately the seal is still in great condition and there was not even the slightest hint of grease+gear oil mixed.  (So, at least that is some more potential good news.

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »

that little hole on the end filled with red grease is threaded!  unless i am totally confused as to what i am looking at.
i think its a 8x1.25, not positive.  but its a standard toy bolt.  put a bolt on it with a huge thick fender washer.  drop a big open ended wrench over the washer and start sledging or prying the shaft out.  it should come out easily

If the end of the axle is threaded, go rent a slide hammer at oreillys or auto zone and give er tha Dinna!!!

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
It seems strange to me that the shaft doesn't want to come out :headscratch:. I dont think there should be much resistance if really any at all? good luck :crossed:

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:55:55 AM »
It seems strange to me that the shaft doesn't want to come out :headscratch:. I dont think there should be much resistance if really any at all? good luck :crossed:

Yeah, I'm confused too.  Anybody heard of pounding the shaft in too hard or anything like that to the point it gets stuck?

Gonna mess around with it more later today.  I just hate applying what 'feels' like way to much force.  Seems like that is usually one of the fastest ways to break something.

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:16:12 AM »
I know Toyota has a different design than domestic trucks but I have heard that some of them use a clip on the inside shaft to hold the axle in the diff.

Anybody heard of this being done on a Toyota SFA?

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2014, 09:03:39 AM »
If you have the short side out you should be able to slide a long rod all the way through the diff from the short side. If you have open diffs you should be able to push the axle shaft out. This would allow to Apply way more power. This works perfectly...in my head.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »
I have a spare long shaft.  I'm guessing the rod your thinking of using would have to be a smaller diameter than the long shaft.  Maybe a tie rod or drag link?

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »
I'd get a long rod, and get somebody hammering on that side, while another is pulling.  Should be able to get it out.   Or a slide hammer on the end, and hammering on the other, things should fly!!

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2014, 01:17:07 PM »
I know Toyota has a different design than domestic trucks but I have heard that some of them use a clip on the inside shaft to hold the axle in the diff.

Anybody heard of this being done on a Toyota SFA?

Nope, and I have been into many Toyota frontends.

The FJ40 had "C" clips on there rear axle!!

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »
Pour some cold water on it..........

It will shrink your shaft.

:cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2014, 01:43:26 PM »
I took a look inside the short shaft housing before inserting a rod.  I see a pin (im guessing about 1/2" - 3/4" diameter. (Small finger).

Then I realized that mentioning the axle has an ARB air locker might have been useful information to provide.  The gear oil throws a refelction of the image .

I don't see pushing a rod through as an option now.

Does that change anything?  Any other ideas?

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »
Pretty sure the axle has to be out in order to get the carrier out.  That way I can access that cross shaft I am seeing.

Oh well, looks like I'll wait to get the long shaft out till next time.  Hopefully it will last until I get around to replacing all the spring bushings, etc.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:46:22 PM »
It is not going to take that muck to get it out. What it looks like has happened to me is the Mar-Tack is wedged in the splines. Get a 1/8-3/16 rod and stick it along side the x-pin and tap on it, first one side then the other. If the rod will not go along side the x-pin grind flats on the end of the rod until it will.

I recommend to re-do the Mar-tacks so they area bit higher then the splines on both sides of the axle 180 degrees from each other.

Do not worry about screwing anything up in there, those components are made from a lot harder steel the rod is.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »
It is not going to take that muck to get it out. What it looks like has happened to me is the Mar-Tack is wedged in the splines. Get a 1/8-3/16 rod and stick it along side the x-pin and tap on it, first one side then the other. If the rod will not go along side the x-pin grind flats on the end of the rod until it will.

I recommend to re-do the Mar-tacks so they area bit higher then the splines on both sides of the axle 180 degrees from each other.

Do not worry about screwing anything up in there, those components are made from a lot harder steel the rod is.

Thanks OOPS.  You just gave me the light at the end of the tunnel to not give up (I mean get back on the horse) and get it done.

Time to find a rod that will fit.  I figured it had to be something with the 'martack'.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
Looking at the Mar-Tack on the other axle, I would re-do the both. Also run all the clips on the axle and Birfields.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
Not to interrupt whats going on here but are the mar tacks necessary? I dont know much about it, but Ive never used them on stock shafts and when I bought my longs Tina said no mar tacks needed. Also I recall Bobby saying to use the inner snap ring, that they are a good thing.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:14:41 PM »
Not to interrupt whats going on here but are the mar tacks necessary? I dont know much about it, but Ive never used them on stock shafts and when I bought my longs Tina said no mar tacks needed. Also I recall Bobby saying to use the inner snap ring, that they are a good thing.

If you use all the clips on the axle and Birfields no Mar-Tack needed.

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »
Call me and I will tell you how to get it out. I will pm you my number
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 29, 2014, 08:01:04 AM »
What a beautiful site  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #29 on: Jul 29, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »
 :clap2:  How?    :dunno:
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i