Author Topic: Few suspension questions to get me started  (Read 4304 times)

Jakesteads

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 842
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
Few suspension questions to get me started
« on: Feb 23, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
Well let me start by saying i am competently new to Tacoma's.  I have had 3 SAS Toyota's but never an IFS Tacoma.

What i really need help with is how to achieve 33" tires, Best on road driveablitiy, and keeping the IFS.

I just bought a 2002 TRD Tacoma with a leveling kit and wheels and tires.  I have read a bit about getting new coil-overs and new rear leaf packs but im just a bit lost on it.  Is all i need new Coil-overs, if so what are the top brands for it.  Also what about these foreign to me CV Shafts?

any starter info would be so great.

This is the truck
I like Toyota

Stlstrs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Few suspension questions to get me started
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
The perfect setup, really has a lot to do with what you want, and how much you are willing to spend. With a little trimming, you might fit those 33s with outanymore lift.

For the front:
If you want to lift it, stick to around 2.5", 3" max (stick with 2.5"). Personally, I like the adjustable coilovers. I went through about 3 different front lifts before I final changed to the coilovers. They rode great, and the are fully adjustable, so you can dial in your ride height to exactly what you want. With that being said, a lot of people have great experiences with Bilstein adjustable 5100s, or the OME system.

Coilovers: Icon, Camburg, Sway Away... $800-$1200
Bilstein Adjustable 5100s: Reuse your coils and top plate. Around $200
OME: New shock and coil, paired for the lift you want, around $400

For the Rear:
A new spring pack would be best. other options are a 3-leaf add a leaf, 1 leaf AAL, lift shackle, not blocks please. Throw in some Bilstein 5100s for the rear.

New rear Leafs: All Pro, OME Dakar, Deaver, Alcan (Wheelers carries these too).

For the rear, the AP and Deavers will flex great and ride good, the Dakars will hold up to some weight. I have the Dakars, I thought they were great.

I don't even know if I answered your question....

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
i think you did mostly.  What i am planning on doing for awhile is light trails/fishing/hunting trails in colorado... so logging rocks small rocks nothing to extreme.

With the front coilovers do i need to do anything but the coilovers?

The rear i will never put an add a leaf been there done that with beater trucks ... not this one.  I see a ton of people talking about the OME setup which i know they do toyotas right.  With that being said i plan on doing full armor: IE front skid, front bumper winch, rear bumper and rock guards.  Also is it a bad idea to put in a front aussie locker or equivalent?

Last question is with the 2.5 lift what is the normal size tires people run.  i am picking up the truck tomorrow and he has 17" wheels (which i dont like) and oversized BFGs and like i said it does have a leveling kit.

I dont really understand the sizes beyond a 15Rim so i am looking at going down to 15 or 16" rims and getting new tires.

also what is the general thought on toytec suspensions im pretty sure they are in colorado so that could get me excited
I like Toyota

Stlstrs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »
For the front, you don't need anything else. I think the Toytecc are fine, I believe the build their adjustable coilover around the Bilstein 5100. The down side of these is they are not rebuildalbe, as opposed to say the Icons, which are fully rebuildalbe. Of corse there is a significant price difference.

For the rear, I really liked my OME springs. I think they are a good balance between being good on the trail and still keeping your truck useful as an everyday truck. They will carry a load better then say the Deavers or All Pros, but won't be as flexible.

With a 2.5" lift, a lot of people run 285/16/75. Those are essentially 33s. Some run 255/85/16, hose are a little taller and a little skinnier. If you opt for 15" wheels you'll have I to get some with at least 3.75" backspacing or they won't fit over the front brakes. Wheelers Offroad is the only place that has 15" wheel with stock backspace what will fit. Make sure the wheels will fit before you buy. All this said, I started with 285/75/16s, I liked the size.

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »
im having trouble finding OME for sale anywhere where is the best place to buy?
I like Toyota

Stlstrs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:19:38 AM »
oh wow ya full springs and front coilovers for around 1100 isnt bad at all thx!
I like Toyota

Crunchy Taco

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 90
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Flexiest leaf sprung taco I kno
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2014, 05:21:07 AM »
i have the ome coils all four corners on my 97 4 runner...just front for you but you get the idea..they ride real nice in my opinion..they are the medium grade spring rate...if i could do it again i think i would have done the soft spring rate though...they are non adjustable either.. and also i was going to tell you back when my tacoma was ifs what i did was i ran a 3 in suspension lift and 3 in body lift and ran 35's with minimal rubbing up front when turning completely sharp...i kno body lifts suck but they are easy to install and if you get an aftermarket rubber kit for your wheel wells you cant even see the gap difference the b lift makes...my brother did the rubber kit and its good lookin....if your guna do the suspension lift spend another 150 bucks for a body lift so you can run 35's then you will have yourself a monster truck...
98 Tacoma ex cab, Garrett T3 turbo 7psi, w56, 2.28 duals, ceramic sprung puck clutch, toyota solid axle, Tacoma rear axle w/ e-locker, plated frame front and rear, fuel tank raised with custom armored cradle, 1 ton steering 35" general grabbers wheeler/DD built from stock http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=95652.msg1066733#msg1066733

Stlstrs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:49:40 PM »
I don't think we're shooting for Monster truck here...

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:12:13 AM »
haha no not at all most ive ever had is a 1" BL on anything i have had and hated them all.  They would help in my jeeps to get a tummy tuck but thats it.  One day down the road i will sas it anyways if i keeep it that long lol
I like Toyota

Crunchy Taco

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 90
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Flexiest leaf sprung taco I kno
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:14:52 AM »
I'm just playin around. I agree with adjustable coil overs and some good leafs out back with 33s that's pretty much the setup my 4 runner has and it drives awsome performs well and looks great. Good luck
98 Tacoma ex cab, Garrett T3 turbo 7psi, w56, 2.28 duals, ceramic sprung puck clutch, toyota solid axle, Tacoma rear axle w/ e-locker, plated frame front and rear, fuel tank raised with custom armored cradle, 1 ton steering 35" general grabbers wheeler/DD built from stock http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=95652.msg1066733#msg1066733

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »
if u go 3" do a diff drop and run the high angle cv boots since they spin all the time and wear out quick, or switch to a knuckle kit with lockout hubs

Stlstrs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:15:34 AM »
I'd stay in the 2.5" range. That's plenty to clear 33s. Most people will tell you to stay away from the diff drop.

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »
whats wrong with a diff drop?  the drive shaft likes the angle better than the cv's

Stlstrs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2014, 09:33:05 PM »
A 1" diff drop only drops the front, so essentially you are just rolling the diff down. This results in less than 1/2" of movement where the CVs enter the diff. Like you mentioned, it also changes the DS angle, which may not be an issue, but it could. From all that I've read, most people that have an option on diff drops, have a negative opinion. It may not cause problems, but in the 2.5-3" lift range it's probably not necessary.

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
I see a lot of worn out cv's with the tacos without locking hubs, it puts the cv boot in a bind where the ribs rub each other and wear out a lot quicker. diff drop or high angle cv boots fix that problem

Stlstrs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »
Jake, sorry for jacking your thread here. Hopefully our banter may be useful.

You really don't have to lift it so much that the boots rub. When I had ifs, I lifted the front about 2.5". I stopped there on purpose in part because the fins on the cv boots didn't quite touch. 2.5" is plenty to clear 33s with minimal, if any rubbing. This is just my experience, and option.