Author Topic: Marlin's "MarMount" motor mount mod.  (Read 16142 times)

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Marlin's "MarMount" motor mount mod.
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »
This Thread is Featured in our Tech from our Forum Members section!

Marlin's Home-made "MarMount" - HD Engine Mount Details
Marlinize your stock good or broken Toyota mounts with minimal cost!

Another thing you can do with your engine mounts is what Marlin does and that is to transform a factory Toyota mount into a one-way heavy duty engine mount. This has been discussed before, but essentially Marlin modifies a stock engine mount -- good or broken doesn't matter -- by passing a long bolt straight through the center of the mount taking the place of the stud that attaches to the engine bracket. This forms a solid connection between the upper and lower plates surrounding the stock rubber isolator/dampener. In this configuration the mount is unable to expand (due to the very high tensile strength of the bolt) but is able to compress (as the bolt is free to pass through the engine bracket under compression). Therefore, when used on the driver's side, which is the side that sees the most amount of torque (pulling the stock mount apart) and consequently the highest failure rate of stock mounts, Marlin's design restricts movement under acceleration -- mimicking HD mounts -- but operates like a normal mount under compression without nearly the same harshness. It's a one-way HD mount, ideal in operation as it is only "HD" in the direction of applied engine torque.

Update: I forgot to include that Marlin adds a thick nylon washer so you can torque down the nut while limiting vibrations sent through the bolt. :thumbs:

Marlin's idea also provides lateral support because the bolt is torqued in place with the nut thus limiting the upper and lower plates from sliding
or moving laterally about one another. This is not as rigid as a true HD mount but again it provides an additional restriction that was lacking in the stock mount. I run dual Marlin HD mounts in my truck, both of which were previously broken mounts that Marlin restored back to life. The lateral control from Marlin's modified Toyota engine mounts are so much improved that my water pump no longer contacts my electric fan when I'm in a very steep climb. It's the best of both worlds: Improved strength without the vibrations of a HD mount ... but yet only at the cost of a bolt and a few washers!

Marlin even carries spare parts to rebuild broken mounts on the trail using his improved design:

Seen here holding the now Marlin-ized rebuilt stock broken mount ready to be reinstalled. The threaded stud you see is not a stud at all, rather it is Marlin's long one-piece thru-mount bolt joining the two engine mount plates together:

Regards,
BigMike

Started on Modding my mounts as Mike suggested, I am glad I have a good drill press, I think it made this much easier.

First I cut off the stud and ground it flush, Center punched it then into the drill press.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2014, 06:31:48 PM by BigMike »
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Marlins motor mount mod.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »
The rubber really grabbed the bit, That is why I am glad I did it on a drill press.

Then I measured them. the mount is almost exactly 2", The stud I cut off is just over 3/4", So a 2 3/4" bolt should work great, I don't have any, I'll need to get to the hardware store. I will post up more when I get them finished.
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
I picked up some bolts and Nyloc nuts today, Tractor Supply, They sell them by weight not by piece, Best deal in town normally. I got 1/2x3" they didn't have 1/2x2 3/4, Longer works. They went in a lot easier than Mike laid it out to be but are still snug, I think I will tack them to the bottom side just to be sure.

If it doesn't rain I will install them tomorrow and see if I have to shave the bolt head or not, Stay tuned folks. :attention:
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:34:10 PM »
I have new set sitting in boxes waiting for me to do this to them. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:13:54 PM »
could you post a link to the original thread by big mike? subscribed. I'm trying to figure out if you are welding your motor mount solid and why you would do that? Very interested though.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2014, 09:26:04 PM by helipilot77 »
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »
could you post a link to the original thread by big mike? subscribed. I'm trying to figure out if you are welding your motor mount solid and why you would do that? Very interested though.

No welding, just drilled out and a bolt passed through

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
Cool Idea. thanks for posting the history for this thread. That helped me figure out what you're doing. I was thinking about welding chain links on the sides of my mounts to restrict their movement. I forget where I saw this mod. I broke my motor mounts this year at MCR12 and have been looking for a long-term solution. I have the 4Xinovations mounts but went back to factory mounts because my diesel vibrates allot more that the gas motor did. With the dual cases and the 4.7:1 gears, the factory mounts are no match for the torque.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Fjcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:52:32 PM »
Great solution , thanks

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:05:44 AM »
Great solution , thanks

Thanks for the comment but it's not my Ideal I just took pictures of what Big Mike said Marlin does. I did the work and posted the picture but the credit is all theirs.
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »
so how are they working, did they cause any vibrations?
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
I haven't driven it yet, The rear axle is out of it I hope to  before the weekend.
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:28:12 AM »
Wow awesome BNB! :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: I got this added to our "How To's from Forum Members" section on our main website: http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech#forum

Also one thing I forgot to mention on my original post (quoted below) is that you can include a Nylon washer beneath your lock nut to limit vibrations traveling through the nut > bolt > frame.

Since most people will be directed here from our main site, I've inserted the quote into BNB's opening post above that he mentioned in reply #5 above :thumbs:

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2014, 06:27:42 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki