Author Topic: *CAUGHT THIEF* Pics Inside  (Read 30124 times)

Vang530

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: *CAUGHT THIEF* Pics Inside
« Reply #30 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »
Wow. Awesome story and a good ending...
My security system is currently a long dirt road leading to my house with 4 dogs...maybe some day I will mess with it when I start parking in the city more...
Oroville, CA

Wainiha

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »
8 dogs and me.  My neighbors on all sides are friends with dogs too.  The little ones bark like crazy,  sounding the trespass.  The pit bulls are silent.  That noise comes from the perp.  Your muscles getting torn off the bone.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »
8 dogs and me.

Wainiha, I think it's cool that you are a dog owner but not sure how effective your dogs will be against thieves...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIQViqARmVU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OIQViqARmVU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »
Cute little dogs.

I have no little ones, they are the neighbors.  I have 8 pitbulls.  Only twice in my life has anything ever been stolen from me.  Of course my area isn't comparable to yours.

Still need that kill switch.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:26:42 PM »
I know a local guy that has a blue healer, that I would hate to cross paths with.  I'll tell you what, you could lay a gold brick on the dash of his rig, and no doors on his old Blazer.  That dog won't make a sound, so your not gonna know what has happened till the flesh is ripped from your arm. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

lvtoyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Mar '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
glad you caught that scum of the streets, I almost caught the guy that tried to steal one of my rides but took off in another car. I later found out my ex gf hired that punk to steal my ride for breaking up with her.
if you want to feel rich, then count the things you have that money cannot buy..

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 526
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:46:59 AM »
glad your still driving a yota!

Chain link shifter lock idea stolen, thanks
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

SNOW WALKER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 172
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Mar 19, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »
When I did the 22ret swap I forgot to plug in the clutch over ride switch on the pedel assembly. So now every time I start her up I have to push the over ride button or it won't crank over. I just left it that way for a kinda  anti theft device. LOL She is parked in my shop any way,But...... I have a butt load of time and cash into it. Sure woul hate to have it ripped off.
1986 4Runner turbo sas high pinion,E-locked 4:88's,taco rear Detroit locker,22ret forged everything,
duels mc07-r10 cut 42's.

chris514scott

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »
I did something similar to what Big Mike mentioned...copied from my build thread.
So this is an idea I have had to slow down oxygen thieves for awhile.

Won't stop a determined individual but with a couple of my other anti theft deals it will slow them down..
Hard to drive in 2nd gear low range

That is a sweet idea

Chuyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »
Great idea!!! Thanks!

Locking the pedals together is a pretty good idea.

Wainiha, information on kill switches has more or less been kept to a minimum as to limit info from would-be-thieves. It's not rocket science so I'll summarize with few details that there are two main methods: One is to interrupt the circuit of any device that is required for the engine to maintain running, such as disabling your igniter, or coil, or fuel pump, or EFI circuit, or ECU, or air flow meter, or injector resistor(s), et cetera. The second method would be to interrupt the circuit of any device that is required to start your engine, such as leveraging your clutch start cancel feature, or leveraging your Park mode feature (automatics, ie. transmission must be in park or sometimes neutral in order to start), or disabling your starter, or disabling your actual ignition switch, et cetera.

The operating principles of the two methods are as follows: If you disable whatever it is that keeps your engine running, then one could still crank and turn the engine over, it just won't start. I call this a "Noisy Kill Switch". If you disable whatever it is that actually starts your engine, then that's it, the engine simply won't start. I call this a "Silent Kill Switch".

Benefits: The benefit of a Noisy Kill Switch is that you will hear your engine cranking repeatedly at 3am which will alert you to the fact that some douchebag is trying to rip you off. The benefit of a Silent Kill Switch is that you disable the kill device to start the engine, and then once it's started you re-enable the kill switch. That way whenever you park your truck, you aren't reaching all over the place flipping switch(es) all the while wondering who is looking at you ... because you would have already enabled the device before you even left your driveway.

Draw backs: Draw back to the Noisy Kill Switch is that every time you park you'll need to enable the device. Someone might see you enabling it and then they would know where to look. Draw back to the Silent Kill Switch is that because you enable it after the engine is running, if you accidentally stall your engine at a green light, you'll have to scramble to flip your switch to disable it, fire up the engine, then flip it back to re-enable (well, this step is optional but its good to keep the habit of doing so), then proceed to drive forward while a bunch of traffic behind you are honking and upset thinking this is your first day ever driving a stick shift. :ha_ha:

Some tips: I have both types on my vehicles and I only use the Silent one on a day-to-day basis because I like getting out of the vehicle without having to enable anything (I've already enabled it). If I am parking my vehicle for an extended time, like parked for a week while I'm away on vacation, then I'll also enable the Noisy switch. And here is the tip: Have a kill device located outside your cab. The criminal is going to get into your truck and initially sit in your driver's seat to try to start it up, or at least be in the driver's area. Well, if your kill switch is for example mounted above your spare tire, he can do everything he tries, even pop the hood and try to hot wire everything under the sun and he will never get it to start. I'm not a thief but I assume every minute counts and adds a lot to their pressure. If they can't figure it out within 5 mins I bet they will just move on. I could be entirely wrong about this though, but at least it prevents the passer-by type thief who "thinks" he found an easy target in a Safeway parking lot with grandmas loading cat food into cars next to the one he is trying to rip off. I bet they give up real quick if they can't figure it out in a short amount of time.

For carburetors, you can install a manual check valve inline with your fuel line, and with it switched to the off position, the engine will fire up and run, but it will only run long enough until the fuel in the float of the carburetor is consumed at which point it will just run out of fuel and stall (maybe they could get a quarter mile away).

Another cool idea is what many have done including KYOTA and BLACKDOG and that is to weld two chain half-links onto your transmission and transfer case shift handles (or Crawl Box handle if you have duals) in such a manner that you'd shift the transmission rearward into reverse and the transfer case forward into lowrange, and then connect the two links together with a hefty Padlock. Pictures:
BLACKDOG, from reply #17:

KYOTA, from reply #426 (I thought KYOTA had a better image of this but this is the only one I could find, you can see his chain links welded to his first two shifters):

Now if the thief ever managed to get your truck running, he'd be limited to Low Range in reverse -- and even more important is that the truck could not be shifted into neutral to push it away since it'd be physically locked in low range + lowest transmission gear = very hard to move the truck. This wouldn't apply to dual/triple case setups as there would be another lever that could be shifted into neutral, but still a nice feature to have. Maybe some thieves push the victim's car down the block before they start messing with it. Well this would prevent that from happening.

Hope this motives someone to do something to safeguard their truck :beerchug:
BigMike

ulyssesjurado

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jun 08, 2014, 10:32:31 PM »
you should let a pit bull sleep in that thing

Speed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #41 on: Jun 18, 2014, 02:23:59 AM »
   I noticed several references to crooks using roll-backs etc. to steal vehicles. My experience is that a tow truck is much easier to find and recognize when it has 8 or 9 bullet holes in the back of the cab,or the driver. The rules may be different in your neighborhood. :cool:.....
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"

Speed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #42 on: Jul 19, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »
I don't know if this is a true story,but I like to think he was telling the truth. :D Presents a pretty funny picture in my mind :laugh: . A buddy of mine says he happened  to see someone trying to steal his bike from a "Secured" parking area a few years back. He chased the guy as far as his outta shape body would run,but the thief escaped. He decided that wouldn't happen again,so he bought a very nice (read expensive) alarm set up,and hid it under the seat. But rather than the sirens,horns,etc. he opted for the silent alarm that pages him when it's triggered,either by fooling with the controls or lifting it off the kick-stand. It has a range of about 1/4 mile,even inside a parking garage. He says there's just something that really makes his day when he can walk quietly up behind the thief and tap him on the shoulder,then pull the hammer back on the .357 revolver. He open-carries most of the time,which is legal most places in Nevada,but has a CCW too. The fun part is walking the failed thief to the Police Station "at gunpoint" (As soon as he gets the crook started walking,with him walking behind,he quietly releases the hammer and holsters the gun,but the crook doesn't know that.) When they get to the Station,he has the guy arrested,signs a complaint etc. Sounds like a fun way to spend an hour. ( think I could shoot a few holes in his story,but it still makes me smile.)
   Speed
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2014, 11:25:58 PM by Speed »
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"

madginger

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:44:40 AM »
Glad you recovered! Genius anti-theft system.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Apr 02, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »
Guys,

I'd like to bring this thread back up to the top. SEVEN rigs have been stolen in the Fresno area during the last three weeks:

1. Stolen 4Runner Saturday March 14: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98587 (RECOVERED)

2. Stolen 4Runner Sunday March 23: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4111193745/permalink/10153206252508746/

3. Stolen 4Runner Thursday March 26: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4397301703547&set=a.1389795317767.51079.1618620775 (RECOVERED)

4. Stolen 4Runner Thursday March 26: https://www.facebook.com/groups/164047540424670/permalink/472085332954221/ (RECOVERED)

5. Stolen 4Runner Fri-Sun March 27-29: https://www.facebook.com/shawntee.haldeman/posts/10206442190000700

6. Stolen Pickup last night April 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/164047540424670/permalink/474814419347979/ (RECOVERED)

7. Stolen Pickup today April 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/164047540424670/permalink/474754492687305/

8. UPDATE: An eighth rig was attempted stolen last night as well (Aug 1-2) but they couldn't get it started. Owner found his truck pushed down his driveway presumably with door unlocked: https://www.facebook.com/huusoku/posts/10152772462273342?comment_id=10152772904343342

There could be more, these are the ones I am aware of. Go back to page one and give the 16th reply a refresher PLEASE.

:attention: Your precious rig could be next! :attention:
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2015, 11:32:26 PM by BigMike »

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #45 on: Apr 02, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »
:yikes: glad I have a fence 2 dogs a garage and I'm retired so I can keep an eye on mine
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

dropzone

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Drive a 1st Gen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
somebody is shipping parts somewhere...
81 Toyota Trekker 221:1
build thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=86346.0

1994 4Runner - Long Term Expedition type Build

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Apr 02, 2015, 09:11:33 PM »
If I caught some a-hole stealing any of my rigs they would be shipping body parts alright, his. Stinking damn thieves deserve anything they get.

JFW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Salisbury steak isn't steak....
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #48 on: Apr 02, 2015, 10:08:48 PM »
Hey guys,

My truck is the one in the first link. Luckily I got it back. Does anyone have any recommendations for good shops that install kill switches? I don't want to just go wherever and have the info regarding the kill switch be passed along. Thanks!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Apr 02, 2015, 10:44:34 PM »
Go to 12volt guys' website and email him.  He'll point you in the right direction, and you can trust him.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Apr 02, 2015, 11:34:57 PM »
UPDATE: An eighth rig was attempted stolen last night as well (Aug 1-2) but they couldn't get it started. Owner found his truck pushed down his driveway presumably with door unlocked: https://www.facebook.com/huusoku/posts/10152772462273342?comment_id=10152772904343342

JFW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since Jul '13
  • Salisbury steak isn't steak....
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #51 on: Apr 02, 2015, 11:58:54 PM »
Thanks kneedownnate. I'll try that.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Apr 03, 2015, 05:22:50 AM »
Somebody is looking at this website and others to target the rigs they want.  (Facebook sucks :yupyup:)
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2015, 05:37:02 AM by Wainiha »
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #53 on: Apr 03, 2015, 12:40:30 PM »
Wow,  this is nuts!
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Apr 03, 2015, 05:27:07 PM »
Wow,  this is nuts!

Keep an eye out for us up north Edwin and spread the word to be proactive about vehicle security, thanks

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Apr 19, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »
Another rig stolen last night from near Ashlan and Clovis Ave (Tarpey Village area). Discussion here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/164047540424670/permalink/482385038590917/

Even did a burn out and drove over the owner's mail box

OVRAROK

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26866
  • Male Posts: 3,505
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Apr 19, 2015, 04:48:05 PM »
I have landairsea 7100, I found one in my garage, I used to install these at my old work, to check on drivers just sitting on the side of the road, getting paid to sleep. Anyhow, it has initial high cost on product, about 500. But you only get charge when you ping the device. Good example, you buy and install(500), then two years later truck gets stolen, you ping to locate, cost is 25 cents per ping, seeing the low life getting busted, priceless
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Apr 20, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Apr 20, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
Have any of you really looked at your ignition system?????   You will understand how easy it is for them to be stolen.   

I recommend anybody to do any and all theft deterrents they can. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Apr 21, 2015, 09:23:03 AM »
Update on the black 3rd gen above:

Stolen last Sunday morning around 3am near Fowler and Shields Ave.

Owner says he parked it in neutral using the e-brake, and in the morning there was pieces of e-brake cable/housing on the ground. So he believes they cut the cable and towed the truck away. If true, then electrical mods would not have prevented this. The shift handle padlock method would have prevented this.

Regards,
BigMike