Author Topic: Checking in and introduction  (Read 2751 times)

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4347
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Checking in and introduction
« on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
Hello everyone,

Doing my part to get going on this site.  I've been lurking for quite a while doing reading and research, I really like seeing everyone's build threads.  There is so much great work going on by everyone and I always get some ideas.

I picked up a 1985 4runner that is mildly set up, but I plan on redoing most everything really.  I am still gathering up info first, then I'll start making some changes.  so far it's just been new seats and getting the rear window rolled up.

Short term plans are to get it fully reliable and safe, then some comfort items to entice the family (wife really, kids are begging to get out) more and some light camping trips.
Longer term goals are to make it a capable crawler that can still see DD action, though it likely never will.  My Tundra is just too comfy ;)

Cheers to all and thank you in advance for helping me though a ton of questions as I go along.  I promise to search first!

Oh, here is my first question:  On the verification pages (Are we famous for our rebuilt transmissions) etc. I can never get the answer right for how many doors on Marlin's truck!  I tried 2, none, 1/2....no luck!

CB

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Re: Checking in and introduction
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:46:22 PM »
 :welcome:
Me

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:19:13 AM »
Welcome! :wave: Thanks for finally signing up! :turtle:

1985 4Runner, the best one ever made! :thumbs: Can't wait to see some pics of it :yesnod:

Oh, here is my first question:  On the verification pages (Are we famous for our rebuilt transmissions) etc. I can never get the answer right for how many doors on Marlin's truck!  I tried 2, none, 1/2....no luck!
Ohh man I forgot that we even had this. I eventually installed some pretty powerful spam guards so I think we don't need those verification questions anymore. I will look into this tomorrow. I think the correct answer is "Two", spelled out with a capitol "T", but again it's been a while since we set that up and I will revisit that part of our forum security to possibly do away with it. :gap:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:57:37 AM »
Thanks guys, I am really looking forward to getting into this 4runner more, it's hard to be patient!

I will post some pics eventually but I think I need to post ten times or something to ensure I am not SPAM?  Probably time for me to set up a photobucket type of thing too.

thanks for the tip on the security questions Mike, that was bugging me ;)

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:37:19 AM »
and to add to that post count:

I don't know a whole lot about the technical specs on this rig.  The guy I bought it from sounded full of knowledge at first but I quickly found out that wasn't always the case.  So, there are a lot of things to clean up as I work through it.

What I do know is it has some sort of RUF with those boomerang shackles, stock shock tower (with shock off alignment due to the RUF), stock front spring mount at frame.  Rear is some sort of aftermarket springs but I haven't figured out what they are yet.  Also, there is a 3" body lift that I plan on getting rid of.  I am not a fan of them in general.  However, much like so many others facing this situation, the bumpers and sliders (home made) are all welded in for the BL.  Truck sits on 35" Hankook tires, M/T style.  Never had this brand before but they are newish and will work.  single T/C geared with the MC 4.7.  5.29s in each diff.  crap blown out shocks that are Procomp.

I guess that's about it for now....

CB
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:16:03 AM by cbeers »

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »
Welcome.

The people who  :blah: the most, usually know the least.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »
Sounds like you've got a pretty sweet base to build from! I also don't like body lifts, however I built and installed a 1" lift to my truck because at the time I thought it was required for an engine swap I did, only to find out it wasn't needed. My bumpers and sliders are also welded direct to my frame so the body mount I've got is staying!

For 4WD Pickups and 4Runners, 1985 is the first year for fuel injection and the last for a solid front axle. :cool:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »
I saw your post in another thread about the BL situation and was nodding my head in agreement, but 3" is too much for me.  I would consider a 1" if needed but would prefer suspension.

It's a good base, for sure, and could be pretty much DD as is, but I have certain standards that I like to maintain on my vehicles.  Even my dirtbike gets attention.  So it will be a slow moving "operation re-do the doo doo" type of plan.

I think the first real project will be to convert the steering to the IFS style but other than that I'll just be chasing electrical things and cleaning it up in general.

I also want to meet some other people locally and learn by helping out.  That's what I did on my previous vehicle and have a solid group of friends from it years after the car was sold.  Plus it's always fun to spin a wrench on something else.

Thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to being a contributor one day   :crossed:

CB
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:22:40 AM by cbeers »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:54:37 PM »
:welcome:  to Marland, and I agree with Mike 85 4Runner/truck is the best year. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 09:30:38 AM »
OK first attempt at posting a pic from photobucket, all new to me......   :crossed:

not working....back to the drawing board.  I must be missing something.  I can only post the link to the photobucket account vs. showing the actual image?

any ideas for help?   :headscratch:

trying again.....
woo hoo, dumb guy strikes again.  I had to select the image, then hit a button labeled "get link codes" then the right link appeared.  Not the best of shots, in the rain at a distance but you get the idea. 
Sweet, now I can post up pics of things I am finding that I am not sure of what was done in the past.  Going to tear into the front axle rebuild, then IFS steering......

CB
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2019, 01:26:12 PM by cbeers »

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
good looking Runner :thumbsup: start a build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=14.0 here and let us know when ya do things, love the Runner :beerchug:

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
Thanks Yeller and will do, once I actually do something  :clap:

Practicing my welding and torching skills for now.  Still gathering parts and reading a TON trying to figure things out before I ask too many questions.  Just reading through the year specific forum for my 4Runner, I see threads repeated a lot so I can see how it would get to folks. 

It's also fun to see where people who have been here  a while once asked newbie questions too ;)

CB

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 10:26:55 PM »
good luck and have fun remember to have fun, never take it to serious :thumbsup: 4 Runners are my favorite  :driving: I have an 87' called the Devil Dog Runner and they are a blast to wheel, especially since you have kids, Lots O room  :disturbed:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON