Author Topic: Trail Closure discussion 6/19  (Read 3154 times)

monyman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Trail Closure discussion 6/19
« on: Jun 18, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
Department of the Interior is planning to use the Endangered Species Act to designate as much as 2 million acres in the Sierra as critical habitat for the Yellow Legged Frog. The area to be protected spans from Dinkey Creek Road to Kaiser Pass. The effect could be devastating to recreation, fishing, and business, yet there has been no mention of it in the media. They are quietly flying under the radar on this so far. If these proposed zones are closed, it could mean goodbye to Huntington Lake, China Peak, The Dinkey Lakes Wilderness, the Dusy overland trail, a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail, Humphreys Basin, and the headwaters of the San Joaquin River, to name a few. There is a meeting on Wednesday, June 19th, 5:30- 6:00 at Foothill Elementary school, 29147 Auberry Road, Prather, being held by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Plan to attend and spread the word! Here is the link to their proposal: http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/species/amphibians/Yosemite_toad/pdfs/Designation_of_Critical_Habitat_4_24_2013.pdf. Warning: this pdf is 199 pages.

Other, but similar (and summarized!), info is in this press release: http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2013/sierra-nevada-amphibians-04-24-2013.html.

I've contacted Jim Bramham, the CA4WDC Natural Resource Consultant - North, to inform him of the meeting and invite him to attend. Those of you having connections with Blue Ribbon or other advocacy groups should consider contacting them and inviting them, too.

I don't think any closures are imminent, but the threat is real and we need to pay attention! Familiarize yourself with as much of the info as you have time for before the meeting and we'll see you there.
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, Diamond axles, 5.29s, duals, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Closure discussion 6/19
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »
Why is it these meetings are always posted last second? It's insanely frustrating.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
So you lose!  That's why.

I don't understand why everyone can't work together.

Make it wilderness, leave the trails open.  With that amount of area there should be enough habitat for endangered species.  Which, I do support protecting.

Just make massive fines for those 4xing off the trail and polluting.  Stick to the trail clean up your and others trash.  Don't kill frogs or other protected species.

Politics suck.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

85-4roller

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2013, 03:01:11 PM »
You are crazy if you want any more wilderness. Give nothing or it will all be slowly taken away, one small step at a time. Just look a the history of the sierra nat forest wilderness & monuments for the last 100 years. The environmentalist are winning here in cali......
Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
You are crazy if you want any more wilderness. Give nothing or it will all be slowly taken away, one small step at a time. Just look a the history of the sierra nat forest wilderness & monuments for the last 100 years. The environmentalist are winning here in cali......

Sorry to say it, but the all or nothing attitude is what has made this a problem for us. Granted the preservationists have that attitude. But it will take understanding and clean wheeling to continue acces into the wild places. Unfortunately people who 4wheel have been cast as abusers and polluters. Which is not always false, and the people who strive to work with nature have a really hard time changing that casting. The conscious wheeler is definitely more popular today than ever before, and continues to grow. I love the constant education of consumers by the major suppliers, and hopefully one day we can coexist and turn a few preservationists into conservationists

And ya  :flamer:politics suck

dntsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
    • My 3.4 swap into a 92 pickup
92 Toyota x-cab, 3.4 swapped, R150 5 speed, 2.8/4.7 SAS
My 3.4 swap http://www.yotatech.com/f160/had-officially-began-3-0-auto-3-4-manual-92-ex-cab-196823/

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2013, 04:06:59 PM »
Idiots on both sides in any dispute ruin it for all.  I love nature and love to wheel. 

Individuals need to police other individuals. 

I'll stop from leaking oil on the trail - tell you it'll get us shut out.  I'll tell you not to run over frogs for fun. 

Ask the extreme nature guy - Do you wear leather shoes?  Even if you ride you bike...how was that made?  Are you naked living a subsistence life in the wilderness?

People are selfish. They think what they believe is always the right way. 

Politics and people suck

I'm done.

2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

85-4roller

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »
Yellow legged frog comment period extended till Nov 18, 2013. Please HELP

Below is a link to comment. please keep comments about the proposed land use restrictions clean.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FWS-R8-ES-2012-0100-0557
Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.