Author Topic: Hammers and troubles!!!!  (Read 2777 times)

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Hammers and troubles!!!!
« on: Apr 23, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »
Took a trip to the Hammers last Tuesday, stayed until Sunday. Met up with ErikB and Big Bird.

Started to make a run to Outer Limits and had this terrible noise coming from my new front housing. Went back into camp and tore it apart. Dummy I had not checked the clearance for the Longs and they were scraping inside the balls. Did not have any paint so we used purple nail polish, BB decided I need one of my nails painted. While BB did the grinding, Erik and I pulled the other side apart. I really like the FROR Tacoma brake brackets, makes taking the front-end apart real easy. Got it put back to and took off for Outer Limits.
Everything was going fine on the trail, then Erik snapped a stub shaft in his front-end (D-44) we kept on going pulling when he needed it. In the mean time I started having a slight knocking in the timing cover on my 3.0, did not think much about it. Got to the last part of the trail, could not get Erik up it so after working for quite a while decided to turn around and go back down. The knocking sound had stopped but the truck would not idle right and it was starting to load up. We had about a quarter of the trail to go and it was getting dark real fast.

Another person in our group with 4X4 Him blew something in his T-case and as they were dragging him down something was also blown in his front end, both wheels were dragging. Took one of the flanges off and it rolled free, so BB started pulling him down the trail. In the mean time I went back to my rig and it would not start. After putzing with it for a while we decided to leave it on the trail and come back and get it the next day. That is a scary thing to do.
T and I got into Erik’s runner to go back to camp, the buggy with the blown T-case and front locked up on the other side and we left it there. Did not get back to camp until four in the morning.

Went up to get my rig the next day, after checking it over we decided that the timing belt either broke or jumped.

Believe me it is a real bummer towing a full-hydro rig of a trail without a running engine. The starter got one heck of a work out. Once on the flats it steered great. Took us about five hours to recover it.

Have to give a BIG THANK YOU to Big Bird and Erik B for all the help.

On Wednesday it was cold and windy on the lake bed, so my dog Winnie climbed into T's lap. She only weights about 90 pounds and is a bit spoiled!!!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2013, 08:18:40 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
Re: Hammers and troubles!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
Sounds like a lot of things that could have been prevented with some decent pretrip check out. You guys end up running any trails?
You'll never take me alive

OOPS [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »
Sounds like a lot of things that could have been prevented with some decent pretrip check out. You guys end up running any trails?
While the scraping birfields were my fault, I do not see how the rest could have been prevented!!!!!

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2013, 07:46:54 AM »
My timing chain broke on the trail also, I remember the arm pump getting toed back.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »
Looks like you guys had a good time overall.  Nice time of year to be at hammers.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2013, 05:56:50 AM »
That is the way to check out the new parts, cars never have issues when you are in the garage. At least you should have plenty of time to get going again before the mountain trails open up again. Hopefully a 3.0 is a non interference engine. 

OOPS [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2013, 08:56:27 PM »
Hopefully a 3.0 is a non interference engine. 
Yes it is non-interference. I have been wheeling this thing since 97 and this is the first time I have had engine problems!!!!

OOPS [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:44:55 PM »
I tore it apart and found the problem. A ten cent bolt came loose and fell into the bottom of the timing cover. It cut a groove and took a chunk out of the timing belt, knocking both cams out of time. Thankful the 3.0 is a non-interference engine.

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »
I wonder how many people actually torque those bolts.  :smack:

ninjasyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »
I just did my belt a few months back, I only cranked down on those bolts, didn't use a torque wrench.  :crossed:
1994 Toyota P/U, Marlin Crawler SAS 4 inch with 85 axle, ARB's front and rear, 35" X-Terrains, Marlin Crawler rear bumper. Marlin crawler front stinger bumper.5.29's 4XInnovations Sliders, Warn 9.5cti

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »
Make sure your cam pulleys aren't bent.  I had a 3.0l timing belt eat a mouse, then it jumped again later because the pulley was wobbling.

OOPS [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 06:11:56 AM »
It is all back together and runs great.

Thanks for the advice on the cam sprokets.

Made sure those bolt were tight and used blue lock tite on them.