Author Topic: Fuel pump spitting fuel....after sitting for months  (Read 2107 times)

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Fuel pump spitting fuel....after sitting for months
« on: Sep 05, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »
So I'm doing a 4inch suspension mod and some tcase work and my 82 has been sitting for almost 6 months. I hooked up the gas tank and put fuel in and turned it on. After a few turns of the engine it fired up. But the fuel pump was spitting fuel out of the breather on the bottom. So I went to napa and picked up a new pump, the only problem is that the pump is for a long bed...in the fsm it's referred to as type 2 the one on mine was a type 1. The fsm does not say you have to replace with the same one. I'm going to try running it. Anyone think I'll come across any unforeseen issues. The only difference I can think of is the long bed will have a little longer to run. I can get pics of both pumps if necessary.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I wouldn't imagine you'd have any problems. If you do you can probably get it warranted and get a new one

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
There should not be any difference in a fuel pump between a longbed or shortbed truck, maybe by year the could be. It would be a good idea to post a profile of them so any difference could be spotted. There are some that have a longer arm than others and that would make a big issue.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TheChewMaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
So I ended up Running the "type 2" pump. It works the same, but I had to get a few feet of fuel line and rerun two of three lines. Wasn't a problem, but not exactly a bolt on part. The two lines I replaced needed to be about 2 inches longer and loop around underneath the pump, where the old co figuration the lines ran more direct.

But the truck runs fine, not too rich or anything(which was a possible concern of mine). Other than the shape of the fuel connections, both fuel pump types appear to opperate identically

TheChewMaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
This is my original pump, aka Type one

This is the one I replaced it with, aka type two