Author Topic: how to do a internally regulated alternator conversion on a 79-83 miny  (Read 16657 times)

tanabuse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 185
  • Member since Dec '09
  • sleeper, any time any trail any where
    • View Profile
This Thread is Featured in our Tech from our Forum Members section!

this is how to do a alternator conversion on a 79-83 toyota miny truck. as most of u guys who run these trucks know the xternally regulated alternator leaves much to be desired. so i did some reserch and found a write up to do this but is was not veary clear so its my time to do a write up
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012, 02:49:49 PM by BigMike »
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

tanabuse [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
so what ur gonna need is a  internally regulated alternator from a 85-95 fuel injected rig, the uper tensioning bracket, the lower mounting bracket,and the alternator's wireing harnes cut from the wireing harness side of a junk truck from like pull a part .  the lower bracket is exactly the same bolt config as the old bracket but is mounts the alternator differently
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 09:28:45 AM by tanabuse »
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

tanabuse [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
so these are the two different brackets the top two are stock 79-83 alternator brackets  , and the bottom two are  85-95 FI trucks and cars u will need bolth  brackets on the bottom  to do this conversion 
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

tanabuse [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
i would start with  separateing  all the wireing so all u are working with is just the chargeing harness.  so in the frist pix ur gonna see the trucks wireing harness with a black pulg and a white plug,  these plugs went to  the stock alternator and regulator,  so all you need to do is cut  out these plugs and eliminate them  what u will end up with is in the 2nd pix, two yellow wires, two white wires and a red wire.

in the frist pix in the upper right hand corner is a green plug wit a white wire comeing out of it. its about  a 10 guage wire and that is the main chargeing wire that comes off the alternator and charges the battery
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

tanabuse [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
so this is the new wireing harness from 85-95 trucks and cars with 22RE  in the frist pix the green circle in the middle is there to show you where that wire go's, that wire go's  to the main chargeing wire thats comes off the trucks harness with a green plug, cut  the end of the plug off the old chargeing wireing harness and Solder it to the new wireing harness so u can still retain the plugand play system, leave enuf wire so u can solder them together ,the seconed greeen circle is just there to tell you that wire go's the the back of the alternaor  on the post marked B. "B=battery" so  what ur gonna need to do now is just color coordinate the wires from the trucks wireing harness to the new  alternator harness  its pretty simple just put the two yellow wires from the trucks harness together  then put the yellow wire from new harness to the two yellows, solder the red wires together and do the same with the white wire and then clean every thing up  there is a white  wire with black stripe that needs grounded, just put a eyelet terminal on the end of the wire and ground that puppy where the old external reg went. there is also a black ground wire that comes off the end of the new harness that needs to be grounded on the power stering bracket i say that because this wire comes out the end of the alternator harness by the alternotor

the seconed pix the white wire in the uper right hand corner is the main chargeing wire wit the green plug on the end u just cant see it
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012, 11:39:47 AM by tanabuse »
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

tanabuse [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
from there just take out the old brackets and put the new ones on and dont froget to replace your belt if it needs it

this conversion took me lass the three hours if u have everything and i went form less then 8 vlolts to now 14.40

and i mean 8 volts my external reg died and im fed up with those things
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

tanabuse [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
just don't buy any remaned alternator from say nappa, o rileys, pep boys, autozone ,etc they are no ware near as good as a stock toyota ive burned three nappa reman alternator and just got a  toyota alternator from the junk yard 21.50 good to go

Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Aabuse

possume22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
you do not have to change the uper tensioning bracket i just changed the lower mount and bolted a fi alt up put the stock belt on.... nice write up on how to wire the factory plugs up i just run a 12v switched wire with a spade conector to make it charge since i dont have a dash

Hal Smythe

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Howdy -
Thanks for the write-up on the conversion.  :thumbs:  This is definitely a few years later, but  I'm in a similar situation and wanting to get rid of the external regulator system.  My question about your conversion is:
Did you  convert a 40 amp alt/6-wire external reg     or     a  55 amp alt/5-wire external reg?
The 79s had the 40 amps stock, but the 55 amp was an option and changed the wiring harnass.
Just want to make sure I'm correctly dealing with all the wires in my situation.   ???