Author Topic: Recentered H1 beadlocks with 37" Military Goodyears  (Read 9944 times)

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Recentered H1 beadlocks with 37" Military Goodyears
« on: Apr 26, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »
Thinking of running them when I do my SAS. Need feedback from those who have actually run them.

Wanting to run 37's but the price goes through the roof on tires when you get above 35's. So I was settling on 35's on a 15" cheap steel wheel.

Then I see the cheap 37" Goodyear military take offs for $100 or less but, 16.5's. No big deal, I'll get some cheap 16.5 rims and run the tires.

Then I hear I better run beadlocks with 16.5's. There goes the savings. BUT.....there are some great deals on recentered H1 double beadlocks WITH tires. Whoo Hooo!

BUT............I hear they are really too heavy to run on my Yota. AHHHHH!

Need some feedback. I run on the freeway @ 80 mph to work. It's my DD and trail rig.

88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
I have the exact ones you are talking about, there are pretty damn heavy but I not much more than a similar tire.

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply. Are they OK for a daily driver, especially at freeway speeds?
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
I havent gotten mine up to highway speeds but when I talked to the guy I ordered them from he broke it down to me like this...

There are two centers you can get, press in and weld in. Press in is street legal cause its "self centering". If you choose the weld in centers you can get any backspacing you want but they have to be manually centered so there is room for error, however, what cop will know they arent street legal.

Also, the tires and rims were designed for a mil spec Hummer which regularly saw highway speed even when baja' ing across sand land, so they should be fine. Balance them with BB's though not typical weights. Im still buildng my truck but thats the info that I have gathered.

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I think I'm going to go for the pressed centers, PVC inserts and the half rock rings. The price is right. Hope I don't regret it.

I wasn't real concerned about "legal". Just want to be safe and not shaken to death on the freeway. I have been searching on various sites and haven't found consistant reviews. Not much at all for Toyota specific reviews.

Seems to be a crap shoot. Some people seem to get a good set of tires and others are all pissed off and can't get them to balance at all. I wouldn't be too concerned if I was off road only but, it's my DD.

Thanks for the info.

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
From what I heard, if you do the BB balancing that should be the trick. Let me know how it goes, thats what did it for me though, the price for now. Pitbull makes some nice 16.5" tires when the time comes.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
BB balanced, weld in centers, running the pvc inner locks, and rock rings. 

I did the welding in myself, you just have to take your time, and be extremely diligent on double checking your measurements.  I'm running on Dana 60s, but other than that, everything in the truck is still toyota.  no problems at 65 mph, which is the fastest the truck has gone since I've put the beadlocks on.  If I remember right, I put 10-12 oz. of bbs in each corner.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

TrailDogK5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
Anyone know of a good fab shop in the Fresno area who can recenter these?  I would try to weld them but I just don't want to risk them being anything but perfect. 

Thanks!

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
I just bought this set up of a good friend
re-centered, pvc insert, rock ring, 90%+ tread.
800 bucks!! I felt bad for about a minute..............
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
$800! Give us some feedback once you get them on for a while.

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
$800! Give us some feedback once you get them on for a while.

Will do. Not doing any wheeling anytime soon. I live in Texas so we do the opposite. Some wheeling in the summer (way to hot), and more wheeling in spring, fall, an winter.
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

2manytoys [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
No wheeling in the summer? I'd never go wheeling at all if I didn't go when it was hot. I'm in AZ and still wheel in summer.

Fix your A/C and test those tires DANG IT!