We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: New Rock Slider Design! Stronger and cooler than ever!  (Read 41339 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
what length slider would be for a 99 tacoma xtra cab
I recommend our 78-inch slider. :thumbs:

We offer three different lengths, 58-, 68- and 78-inch. This is the absolute maximum measurement of the length of each slider (ie. the main tube length). Therefore, all you need to do is measure the distance between your tires at approximately the placement the sliders would go (a few inches beneath your body line). Be sure to take into consideration the change of this distance as the steering is turned left and right. I'd suspect you'd need 78-inch sliders as this is what 2nd gen Double Cab and 3rd gen Extended Cab Hilux pickups require.

In general, our sliders fit anything you can install them to: Nissan Pathfinders, Ford Broncos, Jeep Commandos, et cetera. It is all based on the distance (and therefore clearance) between each tire. Having said this however, our Sliders are "designed" to fit 1979-1995 Hilux Trucks and 4Runners for the simple reason that each support tubes is cut for the proper length to fit the Hilux/4Runner style body and frame line.

This of course in no way means it will not fit your Tacoma or even a 4WD Toyota Tercel Wagon, it's just that modifications to the support tubes may be required.

Here is an example of our 68" sliders installed onto a FJ80 Land Cruiser:

The 68" length turned out to be a great fit for the FJ80 Body:

However, the FJ80 has a unique exhaust system whose catalytic convertor is on the outside of the passenger's frame rail. Therefore this customer had to perform the following modification to the front right support tube:

The end result was of course worth the required modification to fit a vehicle the product was not "originally intended for", as you can see from the pictures here.

Here is an example of these same new H.D. Rock Sliders installed on an International Scout. I believe this is our 58" version, and it belongs to a long time friend from the Sacrament area who actually helped us get this forum started. I don't know the details of the install process, but as you can see he found a length that was great for his application and its likely he had to adjust the length of at least one support leg in order to get the slider positioned just where he wanted it.

The point is that the sizes we offer are done for a reason. They fit a wide variety of applications :thumbs: Ya just need to measure your truck and then decide what would be best. :turtle:

These aren't the best pictures around, but to reference Xtra Cabs, here are two of my friends running our sliders on their 2nd and 3rd gen Xtra Cab Hilux pickups:

The wheelbase for the 2nd gen (the white one) is apprx 115", and the wheelbase for the 3rd gen is apprx 122".

For the white truck, our 68" sliders fit best and the customer built and installed some side body protection on his own.
For the dark blue truck, our 78" sliders fit best.

Additional notes are that the white one has a Solid Axle Swap with the front axle pushed forward a bit while the dark blue has its original IFS suspension.

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2013, 12:17:26 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki