Author Topic: Mountain Bikes......  (Read 18900 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Mountain Bikes......
« on: Feb 14, 2005, 09:34:49 PM »
Hey guys-

I've pondered creating a child board for Mountain Biking, but then we would need alot of boards for all kinds of hobbies, but maybe I'll add some boards like that someday......who knows.

Until then, Im starting this thread to share my passion for Mountain biking :gap:

Specifically, I am looking for some other riders in the Fresno Area (California). Since the start of this year, I've been getting back into biking big-time and have already done Squaw Leap 4 times, and plan on going up to Bass Lake on Monday Feb 21st to do the 007 DH singletrack trail.

Here's a pic of some guy on the Willow Creek trail above Bass lake.. I plan to be there next Monday.

Monday Morning I'm gonna stop off at http://www.yosemitebicycle.com/ to get a Map of the area and for some general info on the trails. They are located in Oakhurst, CA, which is about 30mins North of Fresno on Highway 41, just before Yosemite Nat. Park. Bass Lake is about 20mins beyond Oakhurst and I'm gonna hit a bunch of trails and Im looking for some company.
Click here to see Oakhurst, CA from Mapquest

To fill in some gaps, I am more of a "weekend warrior", as some call it.. I've got a great XC bike that goes like this...

Here's a pic I found on the net, I don't have a pic of my bike, I'll take a pic of it tomorrow.

1997 Klein Mantra Comp

I bought it when I was a Sophomore in HS. Paid $1300 back in '97. It started out really basic with just Shimano STX RC components. Today $1300 can get a sweet DS bike with Disk brakes, but the Mantra is a classic and it's the best climbing bike I've ever ridden..

Since then I've upgraded to a Long travel (80mm) front Indy SL fork
Cane creek Cloud Nine super-light Air shock in the rear. (will have it in about a week :gap:)
ZZYZX Crankset with a 20t. (9 speed compatible / Coming in the mail as I type :gap:)
XTR Titanium Rear cog set, 8spd, with a 32t.
Mavic wheels front and rear with Deore hubs.
XT V-brakes with boosters.
XT Rear Derailleur (Mega 9)
XT Front Derailleur (Mega 9)
WTB Titanium railed SST.XR saddle

I've gotten it to just about 26 lbs now..
Im working on converting everything to a XTR 9-speed. All I need is a 9spd XTR rear cogset and some XTR rapidfire shifters.
Also I might be getting Easton C2 Carbon Handlebars and Seatpost soon..

So its pretty basic, nothing too special, but I love to trail ride and ride single track. I am really good at climbing and I love downhill despite my bike not being a gravity machine. Also the 20 x 32 tooth 1st gear makes for a great low range on the bike, a 1.6:1. It started out as a 1.3:1 but I've lowered it and I've got a lot of power and control making it even better for climbing. Once I upgrade everything to a 9spd, Im gonna use a 34t rear cogset that will up my low range to a 1.7:1 which will be sweet!

I've done Rubicon 3 times when I was younger and I've done Bald Mountain many times and also the entire Dusy/Ershim trail once (almost 40 miles!)
Later this spring I'm thinking about doing the Shuteye Mountain trail wwaayy above Bass lake, around 8600 ft.

I've gotta learn more about it before I go, but apparently it's like a 2 or 3 day bike ride.  :biggthumpup:

I've got a friend who has a nice hardtail bike and he's gone with me to Squaw Leap all 4 times, but he just started working for Mercedes so he is becoming increasingly busy. Another friend has a Trek 9000 with a wasted front shock. Another friend has a Trek Y-frame but he has no time until Summer, and another friend has I think a Santa Cruz DS bike but he recently twisted his ankle while snow boarding :lipsrsealed:

I have way more fun when Im riding with someone, so if you like to ride single track, then let me know so we can hook up and get out-

MidgetMike - I'm talking to you!! :pokinit:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Bikes......
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2005, 12:03:18 PM »
About 2 years ago, I ran Dusy. It was a blast. I'd love to get back on my bike but unfortunately I'm not sure my fat a$$ can hang right now. I really need to get back at it. If I ever get back up to snuff, I'll let ya know Mike.  :crazy:
"between projects"

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2005, 12:56:20 PM »
BigMike-

I actually used to work for a Klein dealer here in Albuquerque before I went to work for Toyota.  I started in the bike shop as a Junior in HS and worked there until mid 2003.  I used to sell the heck out of those old Kleins!  They just bob a little too much when you stand on the pedals for my tastes, but downhill great!  I still have my XC and my road bike (both by Trek, the parent company of Klein).  Unfortuneately, by big fat ass probably couldnt ride 15 miles now, much less the 75 mile road rides I used to do.  We have tons of great singletrack here in New Mexico- come check it out!

Hows the truck??????
Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2005, 01:00:02 PM »
Oh, use the XT cassette rather than the XTR.  The top 3 cogs on the XTR are (used to be?) Ti & wear really fast!  The XT cassette is hardly heavier & lasts much longer.
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2005, 04:05:56 PM »
Oh, use the XT cassette rather than the XTR. The top 3 cogs on the XTR are (used to be?) Ti & wear really fast! The XT cassette is hardly heavier & lasts much longer.

XTR 11-32t Cogset - 232g

But the 8spd XT was only offered as a 11-30t, and it was 252 grams with the smaller gear.

Actually they are pretty close, but I really like the TI XTR and I've never had any trouble yet :crossed:

Yeah my Mantra has EXTREME bob when I'm out of the pedal and really on it, but my style is that I always stay in the saddle during climbs and I really never ever come out of the saddle. I have much more control and I can place alot more weight over the rear tire that way.

That's a cool job - if my dad wasn't Marlin Crawler I would probably be working at a bike shop / industry.

Later
BigMike

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2005, 04:09:16 PM »
I like mountain biking alot! Too bad I dont live near Fresno, otherwise I would go with you. Since I got my truck I havent been out bikin in a really long time, but I might get back into it...Ive been feeling pretty lazy
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:27:19 PM »
you're way better off working with your Dad than in the Cycling industry.  The cycling industry is pretty flat right now, but the employee discount always rocks! 

You're probably fine with the XTR cassette- I've always been a "heavy" rider at around 200lbs, so I used to wear out a XTR cassette in a couple of months...  You can get the XT 9spd in an 11-34 setup, if I remember right.

Then newest XTR stuff with the STI style shifting is super-cool.  My good friend here manages a bike shop part time and has all the trick stuff on his bike- The new shifters are awesome!  His is setup with the disc brakes, and I would'nt have it any other way!  I'd trade my Grimecas in on a new XTR set anyday, and they were the stuff to have a couple of years ago- 4 pistons, stainless braided lines all the goodies. 

Ryan

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:53:20 PM »
.......... I'd love to get back on my bike but unfortunately I'm not sure my fat a$$ can hang right now. I really need to get back at it. If I ever get back up to snuff, I'll let ya know........ :crazy:

Me too! (wishful dreaming) I used to go all the time when I lived in San Diego (trails galore, minutes from home).

'95 GT Pantera some XT/LX parts
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2005, 07:22:37 PM »
Hey Big Mike I work at a shop in Auburn, we sell Cannondales and Giants. I'm riding a 05 C-dale prophet. If you come up this way stop by it's our riding season right know, and in the summer we head upp to downyville a few times a week. Let me know if you need any parts    :greengrin:  :biked:  :turtle:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2005, 07:42:35 PM »
Crack-n-fails?  :crazy:  :reg:

Just kidding... :laugh:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2005, 11:05:29 PM »
Hey Big Mike I work at a shop in Auburn, we sell Cannondales and Giants. I'm riding a 05 C-dale prophet. If you come up this way stop by it's our riding season right know, and in the summer we head upp to downyville a few times a week. Let me know if you need any parts :greengrin: :biked: :turtle:

I would love to ride in Downyville.. I'll have to take a trip up there sometime in the Summer...

And about the parts, since alot of people are upgrading to 9spds, if you come accross any old XTR 8spd Shift/Brake units, like a ST-M950 or something, then I'm interested!

And if you've got any good deals on like a 9spd XT Shift/Brake unit, like a ST-M760 or so, then I might be interested as well.
I've been watching Ebay auctions for 9spd XTR Shift/Brake units....but I think I wont be ready for this until Summer time.

Cya
BigMike

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2005, 05:08:48 PM »
Well, I'm not nearly as into it as you guys are, but during all of highschool I rode 7 days a week, didn't matter what the weather was like.  I rode to school and work and trail rode on the weekends, and beat the crap out of my old specialized hard rock.  It was heavy but built well enough to hold up to about 6,000 miles of abuse.  I have a 97 univega now that I've probaly only put 300 miles on since I bought it, just doesn't ride as nice as the old one(geometry doesn't fit me as well) and my knees can't take it anymore.  Ever heard of the La Grange race in Weaverville?  That's where I grew up, and I raced the first and third runnings, though the first race did in my knees for good.  I had way too good of endurance and didn't know how to pace myself on the uphills and in all the clay/mud.  I only ride a few times a year now and still enjoy it, but am obviously not in the shape I used to be.  If my knees weren't so trashed I'd still do it a lot and build up the stamina and energy to where it used to be,     Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2005, 10:58:15 PM »
I come across parts all the time, here's the bike that the crack and fails is replacing   :_order:  that's 1 0f 6  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2005, 11:03:26 PM by MidgetMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2005, 10:59:32 PM »
Could I have one of the other 5? :eyebrow:

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2005, 11:04:13 PM »
Could I have one of the other 5? :eyebrow:
If you could ride an extra small you could borrow 1.

fritz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 369
  • Member since Nov '04
  • snow Crawlin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2005, 11:42:20 PM »
ya nice thread bigmike! i am way into mt. biking too.  i lived in mammoth for 5 yrs. good biking there, hundreds of miles of trails. i've got a santa cruz bullit but ride it uphills too. i'm on the west side now, (yosemite) i have been biking, but now i go to get shoulder surgury in 2 days. i'll be back on it by the end of april,  just in time for the snow to melt on the really good rides! i'm less than an hour from bass lake too.   keep in touch about some rides.   fritz 

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:06:25 AM »
Awesome - Actually this summer I'm going to get a room at Mammoth and stay there for two days. I've been to the website (http://www.mammothmountain.com) and I can't wait to check it out. I go to Yosemite for bouldering and hiking all the time. Last year I hiked Half dome and Yosemite falls twice. This year we are going to hike from Glacier point down to vernal falls and then up to Half dome and back. I think it's gonna be almost 13 miles :thumbs:

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2005, 08:09:30 PM »
I've single speeded Downieville DH several times, mostly with the Chico State cycling team when I was up there for school. Did it once on my 35 lbs retro MTB/Cruiser. That was work. D'ville is always a blast. I make a trip nearly every summer from clear down here in Ventura. Still haven't convinced any of these locals of just how cool it is.

Anyone from up that way ridden the Pioneer Trail? Not as hardcore as D'ville, but still good times. There's an un/disorganized ride out of Chico in the spring called the "Cruiser Classic" The goal of the CC is to drink beer, socialize, and ride the trail on Cruiser bikes. In costume. I have pics, but none are family rated.....

I've a friend who lives on Rd. 274 btwn the Bass Lake dam and Northfork. I figured there had to be mtb trails up there, but didn't know where to start looking for info. So, thanks for the link.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2005, 08:14:48 PM »
Do cruiser bikes use front suspension forks? ??? If not then you're crazy :nerv:

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2005, 08:07:48 AM »
I've only done D'ville once on the Cruiser. Pioneer doesn't really require suspension. You can have just as much fun on it with a FS as you can with a rigid. I've ridden Pioneer twice on the bike below (same one I rode D'ville on) and once on my MonoCog.

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2005, 10:44:22 AM »
I will be racing in the 16" wheel basket class at the 13th Annual Cool Mountain Bike race http://www.auburnbikeworks.com/racing.htm my shop is holding. It is and employee only class that we have, We get to ride the race course on little kids bikes with baskets on the front full of beer and then we try and jump the mudd bog at the end of the loop it's lots of fun and there are a lot of laughs. It is normaly a very muddy race because we hold it this weekend but we moved it out to march for better weather hope to see some of you all out there.
 Here's my new bike I am running it with a different fork though a Manitou Nixon   :biked: :boobs:
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2005, 10:53:18 AM by MidgetMike »

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2005, 12:38:02 PM »
We called that "Pixie Racing", I think it actually started in Chico about '97 at a friend's house. Used the front porch as part of the race course that year. Heat race winners had to chug a beer (it is Chico afterall) Oh man, those were GOOD TIMES! The Cal Poly Parkfield race had a Pixie event as late as 2000. Haven't been there since.

flyin ryan

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -204
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Sep '04
  • poser to the extreme!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2005, 01:16:08 AM »
I didn't know that the 007 was just this last monday.  I thought it wasn't until later during the summer.  I did it last year and I know it wasn't in feb.  Unless they hold more than one event.  It's funny cause my friend and I was just talkiing about doing the race this year.  By the way my screen name I chose was because downhill racing and riding is my passion.  If you get a chance this summer, you should ride northstar ski resort in Truckee. Hey it's right near the rubicon.

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2005, 03:17:07 AM »
Hey Mike, I love singletrack! I always ride solo since not many guys like to pedal out htere in the desert! My dream bike is the santa cruz blur. So much cash though! Right now I only have a scott (dont laugh)  mtb but I threw a bunch of xtr stuff, mavic rims, titec, manitou (sp) hydro forks etc..... nice ride but nothing like the newer customs out there. Sad thing is, even that sport is taking hits from the tree huggers!!! hey claim the mountain bikers are a hazard, destructive etc......  just sad, every mtb guy I have met is down to earth and respectuful, and the tree huggers are just plain   :screwy:
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2005, 07:12:25 PM »
OK y'all, who's up for this:
http://www.seaotterclassic.com/

jared A

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2005, 08:56:35 PM »
i did the sea otter a couple years ago. im statrting to get back into biking as well, its hard becuase i dont ride solo anymoer after my crash and none of my friends can ever go! i like XC more than downhill also....

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2005, 05:49:28 PM »
Hey ntspd,

I thought about the sea otter classic, but I've never competed before, so I am going to wait until the Tour de Granite in July, which is much closer to home and I can practice up there once the snow melts.

This past week I rode the Buck Ridge trail which was really cool. It's the first real single track trail I've ever ridden. I went up there on Friday and then again on yesterday (Sat.).

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2005, 05:51:34 PM »
It was really cool, and some sites call it a beginer trail, which the two lower loops are, but there is a third upper loop I found that is not on the maps I've seen, and its really really technical. I had alot of fun up there..

Here's another pic of my bike:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2005, 05:55:19 PM »
I've only done trails like Rubicon, Dusy, Hammers, etc. so single track is new to me. I really really love riding on really technical rocky sections, like the Big Sluice is awesome to ride up from the bridge all the way to the hill top without stoping.

This trail was really cool to ride really fast. Even on the down hills I was out of the saddle cranking it.

Here's a pic from one of the quicker sections on the trail. My max speed I got was 26 mph which was fun on the single track :thumbs:

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2005, 06:27:20 PM »
Yeah the trail they use for the Sea Otter is pretty fun. A bit of single track that you can get some speed on. OH yeah, I finally got back on my road bike for the second weekend. Pretty soon I'll be back on my MT bike.
"between projects"