We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: USPS via FedEx SmartPost  (Read 30198 times)

CrawlerChick

• Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 203
  • Female Posts: 123
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Crawl on!
    • View Profile
USPS via FedEx SmartPost
« on: Oct 03, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »
We now offer USPS via FedEx SmartPost.  :clap: This will be a trial period to see how it works out.  :crossed: FedEx has partnered with USPS so, we no longer have to drive to the post office and wait in line (for what seems like an eternity) to get your items to you.

What does this mean for you? CHEAPER SHIPPING!  :twocents:

The two biggest problems we had with USPS:

- Lack of tracking information available to you

- Time vs cost in taking items to the post office

:hammerhead:

FedEx SmartPost fixes these problems.  :idea: When you place an order using USPS via FedEx SmartPost you will receive a tracking number from FedEx. Don't panic.  :) You will be able to track your USPS shipment via the FedEx website which gives detailed information on your package whereabouts.

Why is this so awesome?  :dunno: Well, now you will see where your goodies are instead of getting a notification from USPS stating they delivered the item yesterday.  :ha_ha:

SmartPost fine print:

Typically transit time can be up to 14 business days within the contiguous U.S., based on the final destination ZIP code. Longer transit times to destinations outside the contiguous U.S.. Maximum weight is 70 lbs; maximum length and girth is 130 inches. Coverage is 100 percent of U.S. residential addresses, including P.O. boxes, APO and FPO destinations, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, and all other U.S. territories.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2011, 08:04:40 AM by CruzrDave »
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: USPS via FedEx SmartPost
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
:woohoo:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

GerryO

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2012, 12:04:49 PM »
My worst shipping experiences have been FedEx related and SmartPost takes things to a new level, as with two entities involved (FedEx and the USPS), both will deny responsibility for lost or damaged packages.

My most recent experience involved a package that on-line FedEx tracking information listed as delivered to my home by the USPS.  All very timely and detailed, but I don't have the package and the USPS doesn't recognize the tracking number as one of their own, so where does the USPS related delivery information found on the FedEx site come from, and when did USPS letter carriers on my neighborhood route start carrying a wireless device that inputs delivery information to FedEx?

"Gee, that tracking data we entered into the computer sure looks great, and the faster we move things in and outta here using this here computer, the bigger our pay raises will be", said on FedEx worker to another.

I'd much rather hoof it to my local post office.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2012, 12:22:15 PM »
Hello GerryO and :welcome: to the :turtle: forums :wave:

FedEx's SmartPost system is improving all the time and recently it has become a lot more stable and fast. Typical delivery times that used to take upwards to an additional 1 week, now only take 1 day longer than standard FedEx Ground. SmartPost has improved so much that we have removed the extra shipment time disclaimer from our website because of how prompt & reliable the service has become for us.

Services of any kind fail or drop the ball from time to time, and I do see the point of complicating things with the involvement of two entities, but we have not had a SmartPost issue in quite a while, so we have good confidence in FedEx and SmartPost, and enjoy offering the cheaper shipping on light packages to our customers. :thumbs:

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2012, 10:30:44 PM »
When you use UPS, people say FedEx is better.  When you use Fedex, people say USPS is better.  When you use USPS, people say UPS is better.  As Mikey said, all shippers drop the ball from time to time. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Jr0mer0

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »
My last order shipped smart post and needless to say I'm just goin to start payin more for better shipping lol

pioneerscot

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2014, 05:51:07 PM »
Yea, I'm not impressed at all  :dunno:

pioneerscot

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2014, 04:28:21 PM »
We now offer USPS via FedEx SmartPost.  :clap: This will be a trial period to see how it works out.  :crossed: FedEx has partnered with USPS so, we no longer have to drive to the post office and wait in line (for what seems like an eternity) to get your items to you.

What does this mean for you? CHEAPER SHIPPING!  :twocents:

The two biggest problems we had with USPS:

- Lack of tracking information available to you

- Time vs cost in taking items to the post office

:hammerhead:

FedEx SmartPost fixes these problems.  :idea: When you place an order using USPS via FedEx SmartPost you will receive a tracking number from FedEx. Don't panic.  :) You will be able to track your USPS shipment via the FedEx website which gives detailed information on your package whereabouts.

Why is this so awesome?  :dunno: Well, now you will see where your goodies are instead of getting a notification from USPS stating they delivered the item yesterday.  :ha_ha:

SmartPost fine print:

Typically transit time can be up to 14 business days within the contiguous U.S., based on the final destination ZIP code. Longer transit times to destinations outside the contiguous U.S.. Maximum weight is 70 lbs; maximum length and girth is 130 inches. Coverage is 100 percent of U.S. residential addresses, including P.O. boxes, APO and FPO destinations, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, and all other U.S. territories.

Finding out the hard way, how worthless this shipper really is, and no way to contact MC, guess I have to stop payment at this point and send the incomplete order back on my dime, my wife is more pissed than I am !! Pathetic really : ( FAIL !

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »
Finding out the hard way, how worthless this shipper really is, and no way to contact MC, guess I have to stop payment at this point and send the incomplete order back on my dime, my wife is more pissed than I am !! Pathetic really : ( FAIL !
Hello Scott,

I am not sure what the issue is, but please send CJ and/or Dave a message about it here:
Message CJ: https://www.marlincrawler.com/contact/chris-jordan
Message Dave: https://www.marlincrawler.com/contact/dave-carnahan

Our phones have been on today and we are taking calls one after the next :phone: :thumbs: We worked the phones yesterday and processed a lot of orders plus helped a lot of walk-in customers too. It was a good Tuesday for us, hopefully you can get in contact with someone today.

Regards,
BigMike

pioneerscot

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »
Hello Scott,

I am not sure what the issue is, but please send CJ and/or Dave a message about it here:
Message CJ: https://www.marlincrawler.com/contact/chris-jordan
Message Dave: https://www.marlincrawler.com/contact/dave-carnahan

Our phones have been on today and we are taking calls one after the next :phone: :thumbs: We worked the phones yesterday and processed a lot of orders plus helped a lot of walk-in customers too. It was a good Tuesday for us, hopefully you can get in contact with someone today.

Regards,
BigMike

I received the order I made on the 10th today, you told me on the phone that you would put that seal and a couple gaskets that were missing from my last order in this box, what happened ? I trying to be patient, it's just I have all these parts I can't use

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
Good talking to ya on the phone earlier. Sorry for my confusion in not only knowing the first delay, but in also not communicating with our shipper when your package went out the door yesterday. I'll be making it all right for ya tomorrow!! :_order:

Regards,
BigMike

pioneerscot

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2014, 07:40:39 AM »
Good talking to ya on the phone earlier. Sorry for my confusion in not only knowing the first delay, but in also not communicating with our shipper when your package went out the door yesterday. I'll be making it all right for ya tomorrow!! :_order:

Regards,
BigMike

I guess that's why I was so frustrated, you guys are normally the best around bar none, I just couldn't believe I was having so many issues. I accepted the apology and have moved on, and want to get this puppy going, I'm excited to redo the cross member after doing the clocking. And really appreciate all you guys do for the industry, and the time you spent on the phone with me going over all of this. I guess :pokinit: happens.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3672
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
When you use UPS, people say FedEx is better.  When you use Fedex, people say USPS is better.  When you use USPS, people say UPS is better.  As Mikey said, all shippers drop the ball from time to time. 

This is true, but IMHO UPS is by far the worst.
Time to go wheelin!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »
This is true, but IMHO UPS is by far the worst.
People are so opinionated when it comes to shipping companies! This fall we should finally be offering all three choices, FedEx, USPS, and UPS. The difficulty in doing this is that our shipping volume will be reduced per carrier and as a result our rates might (should) increase. The goal would be to offer all choices and hopefully our rates won't change too much :crossed: :nerv:

Regards,
BigMike

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »
Is it a function of where the items are being shipped?

I've never had any problems with any of the 3 carriers sending items to Bakersfield or Inglewood CA.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 24, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
Is it a function of where the items are being shipped?

I've never had any problems with any of the 3 carriers sending items to Bakersfield or Inglewood CA.
We've had customers tell us, for example, "UPS won't deliver to me because the road to my house has too many curves," or, "FedEx won't deliver to my house because the one lane road has a low hanging tree that they won't drive under." Also people who have very long driveways, like half mile long dirt road drive ways out in the middle of no where, claim one or the other leaves the package at the main road instead of driving to their house and its too much trouble to go get it from the road themselves.

They always claim that "the other carrier" delivers without any problems. We get complaints pointing fingers both ways. Go figure.

Regards,
BigMike

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #16 on: Jul 24, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »
Does UPS and/or FedEx sub-contract some locations?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2014, 05:53:54 PM »
Not sure, but I should add that for us, the service we receive from FedEx is FAR better. They are not union and every FedEx driver we've ever had is many times more friendly and flexible than every UPS drive we've ever had. The change was noticed the day we switched to FedEx.

For example, our FedEx driver is allowed to alter his route in order to pick up packages from us a good 2 hrs later in the day than UPS. Our driver simply said, "Sure, I've got other pick-ups out this way so I'll just hit you guys last." Our UPS drivers would never ever do anything so practical and logical like that. Two hours is a lot of time for us since we are taking orders until the very last second of each day. Being able to get a good three dozen more packages out every day simply because the route is timed better is a big plus with FedEx.

So as far as headaches go in operating a business, FedEx is a much better choice for us.

Still, we know we would like to offer flat rate boxes and SmartPost does not have this option. So we've already been in contact with a USPS account rep and we figured if we are gonna give that option we might as well just bring them all back and let the customer choose.

As president here, shipping remains one of the biggest pain in the butts when it comes to nailing down our efficiency. Packages getting lost, stolen, damaged, opened, returned. Software not working right, tracking info missing, updates required, rep busy, terminals down. People badmouthing us on forums, calling in for package claims tying up phone lines for others who are just trying to place new orders. My point is that shipping is rarely roses and ponies. We have to pay for a lot of this (read your package gets delayed and you miss that big wheel'n trip), least we forget that we employ a full time shipper, pay for packaging supplies, and process many core returns daily. Little by litter we're getting it more dialed in but its certainly not as easy a task as flipping a switch like it is in adjusting/fixing other business issues. People complain at shipping costs while the shipping carrier raises our rates due to "fuel surcharge increases" thanks to some oil tanker going off-line....

It is a lot more than meets the eye!

Regards,
BigMike

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
Dude, you guys rock!  :usa:
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2014, 11:53:48 AM by Nation »
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

pioneerscot

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »
My parts supplier for my appliance business Marcone is in Fresno, we buy from them everyday, we get our fed Ex the next day without fail. Not sure about this other fedexusps thing I'm reading about here, we just use straight fed ex I think.
I do agree, we have to be certain to not over promise our customers on ship times, just in case, so we always say 2 days shipping, even though it's always one day from Fresno any way.
Since I'm up in Tahoe, you could drive through the con to deliver to my house, I'll provide the beer.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 01, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »
This fall we should finally be offering all three choices, FedEx, USPS, and UPS.

Update on this: So we were looking at a large computer who groups couriers together and we only pay 1 monthly bill. Unfortunately it turns out they do not offer FedEx (unbelievable!). So if we go this route, we'd loose FedEx but gain UPS & USPS ... which doesn't make any sense as we can just bring USPS in direct ourselves. So, yeah, nothing is changing for now.

Regards,
BigMike

Reeses81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2014, 04:25:31 AM »
    :help:Having issues need help- marlin has completed an order I submitted two weeks back, I have not received a shipping label for that order. Funds were transferred from my bank. And yet still no part. Item still says in stock on website. I do live on the east coast, normally I receive order in 7-8 days at the most shipped ground. Has anyone had this happen where a tracking number never arrived??? I'm clueless and without a daily driver I tore it down with anticipation of receiving yesterday at the latest with that being the 11 day after order. Need help! Email has been sent to marlin sales team, and tried calling last night but was too late. Big mike if you could look into this order it would be greatly appreciated :turtlehead: marlin rules!!

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:24:15 AM »
Maybe holidays :dunno:
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Reeses81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »
Maybe holidays :dunno:
I've received items before without tracking numbers, I just thought even with holiday coming up that 10 days coast to coast was a bit long even for snail mail

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
here is a post that BigMike posted on Dec 3,

Sorry for all the trouble guys. With Lee out until Jan with a broken leg, CJ is our only sales team member at the moment and we've reduced our phone lines to just 1 line and he is swamped. We've already quickly interviewed a few part-time guys but they both could only work a few hours per day so we are still looking around.

Until then, please email CJ direct at cj@marlincrawler.com. I know he is checking his emails, so even if he is busy you should be able to contact him there.

Again, sorry for the trouble and thank you very much for your patience!! :beerchug: We are here working very hard, just understaffed at the moment.

Regards,
BigMike

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »
Hey Reeses81, I looked up your order and see it has a tracking number but no tracking info exists on FedEx's website which means it's still in our warehouse. Sorry for the trouble, I'll get someone on it first thing Monday and if we still have your package then we'll have to throw something extra in there for the trouble!

I'll keep in touch,
BigMike

Reeses81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2014, 02:52:13 AM »
Thanks Mike, really! I appreciate you taking the time.  :thumbs: enjoy your weekend!! CRAWL ON!!! :turtle:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »
Looking into this now Reeses81, pls stand by...

Reeses81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
Thanks Mike :beerchug:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
Okay buddy, sorry for all the delays. We're taking care of it today and you'll be able to track it using the same tracking number we added to your order :thumbs:

Regards,
BigMike