Author Topic: 1985 Toyota 4runner Smittybilt Bumper  (Read 9856 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
1985 Toyota 4runner Smittybilt Bumper
« on: Jun 07, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »
I recently bought a 4runner and soon after a smittybilt bumper that was advertised on craigslist as my year of bumper... i got it, sand blasted it, and powder coated it. there's 4 mounting brackets coming off the bumber and i found out where the bottom 2 mount but i'm having troubles with the top 2. there doesn't seem to be anything near the brackets... i don't know if the bumper is just for the wrong year, or maybe it mounts onto the stock bumper (which is no longer there) but i was wondering if anyone knew anything or had any pics... here's pics of mine.

here's the bumper. the flat plate on the front was added by someone i think, cuz i've never seen it before...

this is what it looks like on the truck now. it's only held on by 2 bolts, so it's not offering much protection:

this is the bottom bracket all bolted up. the connecting bracket looks homemade, but it works:

this is the top brackets. you can see that the only bolt even close to it is that bolt on the frame...

so what do ya think? i might go find some fab shop to make me some new brackets so it'll reach those frame bolts in the picture, but they're offcenter so i don't think that's how it's supposed to be... but i'm really kinda out of my element here.
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: 1985 Toyota 4runner Smittybilt Bumper
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2011, 02:15:33 AM »
The two locations are the one you did bolt it to and the body mount is the other location. From the looks of your last picture the point is about 2 inches away which means that bumper may have been for a body lift.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »
Looks like the original owner welded a tab to fit what ever year vehicle they had. Your right with only two bolts per side it will not give much strength. Weld a tab similar to the one that is on there  and let it attach to the body mount bolts on each side .
The best way for me to describe the bracket is that it would look like a lazy L. I did something similar to a used bumper I bought a while back and used the body mount bolt to secure it to. I removed the body mount bolt put the bracket on top of the frame piece and let the bracket take the place of the “cup” that the rubber bushing sit in. Don’t know if that makes sense but a bracket would give strength. Good luck
Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2011, 08:56:57 PM »
The two locations are the one you did bolt it to and the body mount is the other location. From the looks of your last picture the point is about 2 inches away which means that bumper may have been for a body lift.
i think you might be right... but the brackets don't line up from side to side either... it's kind weird.

Looks like the original owner welded a tab to fit what ever year vehicle they had. Your right with only two bolts per side it will not give much strength. Weld a tab similar to the one that is on there  and let it attach to the body mount bolts on each side .
The best way for me to describe the bracket is that it would look like a lazy L. I did something similar to a used bumper I bought a while back and used the body mount bolt to secure it to. I removed the body mount bolt put the bracket on top of the frame piece and let the bracket take the place of the “cup” that the rubber bushing sit in. Don’t know if that makes sense but a bracket would give strength. Good luck

the only problem with this is the brackets don't line up vertically or horizontally. here's another pic:

so i pretty much have to cut the tab off and move it... sounds easy, but without a welder or grinder it's not gonna be that easy... i took it to a fab shop today and they want 100+ dollars to make me 2 triangle shaped brackets. They say they'd cut off the existing brackets, move them over and down, and since that would but them on the same level as the bottom 2 (which wouldn't offer much support) they'd have to weld a second piece that led from the top down to the new bracket for support. i drew a little pic on paint... it's not pretty but it's the only way i can describe what i'm talking about...

the bottom line is basically I'm gonna pay a lot more than i thought... for a hundred bucks i might as well go half in on a welder with a buddy of mine...

The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
spending that much money on a smittybilt bumper is dumb. its just going to rust from the inside out if it hasnt already started

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »
WOW. That is a crazy price to me. But if I ran a shop I guess that that would be a normal price.  The disadvantage to the smittybilt bumper is the wall thickness. If you look at the other venders that sell tube bumpers they normally have thicker walls which are greater strength and eaiser to weld on. None of that matter since the bumper you have is what you have. Can’t see spending that much on a bracket.
It will not be hard to fix if you have the tools… If you were closer I could bend and weld a bracket for you it would not take long.
Is there a local 4x4 club in your area? Or do you have wheeling buddies? Being a member of a local 4x4 clubs has great advantages. Normally someone in the group will have access to a grinder and welder and be willing to help out for free or a much reduced rate of a shop just for the comradery ( plus your the one that usually sullpies the pizza and beer for all the hard work) still cheaper than the fab shop. 
The factory bumper was not any better with it mounting system but you did not have to worry about the tube on the bumper wrecking the grill  if you hit something and bent it. I can't help but good luck with it

Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2011, 07:35:29 AM »
well here's the solution i came up with. my friends dad brought down a welder when he came to visit so we threw on some brackets... they're not to pretty, but they function...

like i said not too pretty, but it saved me about 100 dollars if i was gonna have a shop do it...
My Old Toy

howyadoin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2011, 08:06:13 AM »
This thread is awesome! :gap:
"Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers"

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2011, 03:30:30 AM »
 :yikes:
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

Tofudude

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2011, 10:36:33 PM »
i don't think that metal is to strong...if ya lean on that thing it might take it out. i'm just saying though

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
the frame mounts right behind that metal... i figured it'd do... i don't plan on winching up my 4runner by the bumper anytime soon.
My Old Toy

howyadoin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
i don't plan on winching up my 4runner by the bumper anytime soon.

Good idea, and don't get it anywhere near rocks...tin cans were not designed to protect rigs near rocks.  Also, you need to take that thing and get it chromed to restore it's former glory.  .02
"Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers"

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, you just welded that new bracket to the body.  Which means your frame is now hard mounted to your body.  You should see an increase in vibrations.  Also, it would be my opinion that your bumper without those mounts is probably as strong as your bumper with those mounts.  The only thing this will do is mangle the body when you do hit something with the bumper

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:17:44 PM »
some time i'll post the pic of the welding someone did to my frame... i'm really not worried about the frame getting worse. and the piece of metal i welded to was already welded to the frame... by someone else, or from the factory i don't know...
My Old Toy