Author Topic: The Stricken Chicken  (Read 21611 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
The Stricken Chicken
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »
Finally!

I recently sold my 1993 pickup back in Colorado because i needed reliable transportation for school in Idaho and my 93 kept falling apart... i sold it to a guy who barely spoke English who took it to Denver. I bought a 1985 Toyota MR2:

...and it's a great little car and a lot of fun!

I was yound and foolish... I thought i could get by without a 4x4 for a while...  :hammerhead: i was wrong! i'm dying without one! lesson learned. i now know that i can't go without a 4x4... so i started lookin around and i recently found this beauty: http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto/2348564541.html picking it up for 1400 and i'm way excited... i'm pumped for the 22re solid front axle combo and it even comes with another transfer case for dual transfer cases... the guys holding onto it for me and my student loans should come in this week... or my Chevy Malibu to sell and i'll be in hog heaven! once the Malibu sells i'm going to get a lift and probably some nice tires! i can't wait! I think i'll name her Beverly!

on a related note, i'm now looking for tires... if anyone has anything near idaho please let me know!
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2012, 08:32:32 AM by Mega Mormon »
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: 85 4Runner -Beverly the Hillbilly
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:40:07 AM »
so i finally got it... felt like it took forever but i got it!

it came with a new grill, i don't know why he didn't just put it on real quick...

squeaky clean! there's a story behind this motor... the guy i bought this from got this motor out of another 4runner that his buddy had. His buddy got it from his old 4runner. back in the day he saved and saved finally had the money to build the rig he always wanted and got his motor completely rebuilt at this top end off-road shop that specializes in toyotas. After he got the motor in he drove it to the body shop and get it painted, and then to the tire shop for some new tires. well, the roof in the tire shop collapsed from snow build up on the roof and crushed the back half of the 4runner. so the guy i bought the 4runner from bought it off him for 700 bucks...

got the tac and inclinometer... i'm pretty happy with that...

and there's the extra transmission and transfer case! my plans involve some dual t cases...

there's a lot of little things that need fixin', but that's half the fun!!!!

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013, 01:02:43 PM by Mega Mormon »
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
forgot about the goodies i got.

i picked up this Smitty built bumper for 50 bucks... i'm pretty excited. He was holding it for another guy but the other guy kept flaking out. so he called me and told me i could have it... i was just headed out of town to colorado so i went to go get it right away... but i was driving the before mentioned MR2, so cargo room was non-existent. but redneck ingenuity knows no bounds... so i strapped that sucker on the back and drove it back to Colorado!

my father-in-law owns a sand blasting and painting company so he helped me out...

it's being powder coated this week, so i'm pretty excited for the weekend!

but he went farther than that. His son has rolled not one, but TWO 2004 Toyota Tacomas... besides the fact that he rolled 2 of dream trucks, he had some tires left over. They're new studded snow tires with less than 500 miles on them with the Toyota rims included. i asked what he wanted for them and he told me to just take them... so i scored 4 free tires and rims...

not a bad haul for one trip to colorado!
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013, 01:40:36 PM by Mega Mormon »
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »
got the new grill on yesterday... it looks a lot less like a dump heap!

and i found out that the guy before me welded that bumper in place... and i don't have a grinder or anything, so it's gonna be fun to try to get it off...
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013, 01:42:42 PM by Mega Mormon »
My Old Toy

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »
nice! thats a sweet little project! i got my  :eye: on this one.
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »
just got this from the original owner. It's what she used to look like. now i'm kinda glad he painted it...

he still has the light bar and he says he'll sell it to me for 20 bucks... and Yota87Truck has some kc lights he's gonna help me out with! everything is coming together quite nicely!!!!

I'm also getting a york compressor from a friend and i'm going to try to put in an On Board Air System...  with a semi truck horn with the overhead pull-string style switch!!!! it's gonna be awesome!
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013, 01:43:47 PM by Mega Mormon »
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
oh... and i just steam cleaned the carpets and believe it or not there is actually still some original color under all that dirt!!!! i was amazed!  :woohoo:
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »
so yesterday i had fun trying to get 24 lug nuts for my new rims... i must have gone to at least 10 auto stores buying 2 or 3 lugs from each store... but i got them. They're 2 different styles, but they work...

and i got one of the tires on...

they look good... i just gotta get them all on.

i don;t know what i'm doing wrong with the front bumper but it doesn't sit right... i think i'm missing brackets... or i don't know if it's supposed to mount to the stock bumper which is no longer there...

here's a pic of the top bracket that doesn't look like there's a place to mount it... I'm wondering if i need to put a stock bumper on...

the bottom bracket: this is the only place it's mounted to the truck right now.

the other side:

My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »
crap... got the new wheels on but they're hitting the steering arms... now i gotta buy wheel spacers. these free tires are getting expensive!
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37:13 AM »
Here are some pics... since i don't have enough of those on this post!!!

i think it looks pretty good... even if the front wheels wont move...

This is what's causing the problem:

you can see the metal shavings from when i forced it to move  :hammerhead:
who knew that free tires would be such a pain?
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
So have you put back on your old rims at least up front so you can drive it?  Or is it just sitting til you get spacers?

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2011, 06:57:43 AM »
pretty much just sitting... i don't have license plates yet anyways, so i can't really go anywhere... i ordered these though, in the 1 inch...
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »
Sweet... more pics... Lights, carpets, etc... you're slackin on your updated pictures!

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2011, 08:08:13 AM »
whatever!!!! there's a ton of pics! but here's some more:

the offroad lights and light bar on:

this is just an option:

i don't think it'd look too bad...
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »
what do you guys think?

should i do it?  :eyebrow:
My Old Toy

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2011, 11:32:44 AM »
I think you'd have to look hard to find an exhaust system that would look worse or be less functional.  :thumbdown:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #16 on: Jun 07, 2011, 11:54:32 PM »
lol... well put. it wasn't ever really an option, but if i ever want my truck to cross the line from redneck to white trash then i know what to do!
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
so i went out on Beverly's maiden voyage, and she did good. the highlight of the trip was splashing through a puddle past a sedan that really shouldn't have been there...  :thumbs:

she's a dirty girl!

she looks good in the mud!
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »
it felt good to be back in the mud!
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »
so i picked up some more off road lights from a guy in Utah this week... it's not a huge update, but as soon as i install all the lights that i have it will bring my total to 6... my battery was dead the other day though so i'm wondering if i messed up the lighting somewhere... maybe if i find the energy i might go put them out tonight... oh well... here's the pics:

guess i'm keeping up with what my dad said about my last truck..."over lighted and under powered"  :yupyup:

My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #20 on: Jun 21, 2011, 10:06:40 PM »
i'm selling the spare tranny if anyone is interested... click here to take a look...
My Old Toy

riegel

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2011, 11:05:34 AM »
Wow! that bumper weighs as much as my buggy.but im sure it does the job. :gap:

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Jun 24, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »
Wow! that bumper weighs as much as my buggy.but im sure it does the job. :gap:

lol... yeah... it's pretty beefy. I'm kinda OCD and it bugs me that it's crooked...  :ack:
My Old Toy

GM

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2011, 12:15:41 PM »
Nice 4-runner

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2011, 08:59:47 AM »
so i took her out on her first camping trip and sleeping in the back was WAY better than sleeping in my extra cap! it was amazing! the wife even agreed (and she's not too fond of the 4runner right now). but i managed to take a few pics:

someday i'll get out my real camera and stop using my cell phone  :cheese:
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #25 on: Jul 12, 2011, 09:08:50 AM »
and yesterday i finally got the other 2 lights on, so it looks a lot nicer, but doesn't work. i posted about it here

here's how she looks now:

My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #26 on: Jul 12, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
i don't know why i erased that license plate number in the last pic when it so easily seen in the others...
My Old Toy

Ancich

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 42
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 16, 2011, 01:09:47 AM »
Looks like a nice rig!

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #28 on: Jul 16, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
she's not a bad little ride... but i keep finding rust that i didn't know about before... like i think there's some rust through underneath the carpeting, cuz last time i was out in the mud the newly cleaned carpets got real muddy.... so i think it's coming up from underneath...
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2011, 12:01:54 PM by Mega Mormon »
My Old Toy

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #29 on: Jul 22, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
she's topless! me and some buddies decided to take the top off and see how she looks... here's the results:

my wife likes it a little more now that the top's off...

i'm really starting to like this 4runner!
My Old Toy