Author Topic: Fire Guys Racing's transformation from 7s to 7200/Class 6 w/ Camburg Suspension  (Read 63128 times)

FireGuysRacing

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 271
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Due to many reason's Paul and I decided to change our truck from 7s to 7200/Class 6. I guess first off we are following the 7200 rules so it will be able to race in either BITD or SCORE with BITD's 85" track width rule. Long story short, we think that 7s has been a great class to race in and could be again but see no progress in the near future for the class so we have decided to move on. We will not be building a new truck, but changing our current truck over to the 7200. So if you are hoping to follow another unlimited budget build you should look in another thread. Paul and I have always been in this for the fun of it! We will continue to have fun going a bit faster and hope to surprise some of the competitors in the class while we are at it! We talked to Jerry at Camburg and even stopped in a couple of times (being from Colorado that actually means something!) before we decided to have them build the kit. Jerry and Jason decided they were up to the challenge and have built something that I believe we will be proud of when we can get it out in the desert! So to start this off, here are a couple of pictures of the truck and the shop in Grand Junction, CO where the transformation will happen.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:09:56 PM by FireGuysRacing »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Here is the front end kit that we got from Camburg and when I get a chance tonight I'll get more pictures up of the progress and the rear links. This kit would fit '84-'95 2wd chassis I think!?! (with heavy modification!)

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
So here are some shots of starting to tear down the truck, cutting off some of the old cage work that will need to be re-done.

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Starting to set up the arms.

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
So instead of going with anything like the stock lower bushings that we have been running on the 7s. We decided to make our own bushings. The stock ones were a metal sleeve that had a rubber bushing and another metal sleeve inside of it. We decided to scrap that whole thing and take some solid bronze and have to pieces just like the one in the picture slide in from each end with a thicker wall sleeve that is just a few thousands over the total length needed so you can tighten the bolts down tight. Also a picture of some differences to what we ran before. The first being the difference in length on the lower arm, the second is the original stock spindles we used to beef up next to what we are going to, and the last is just the pile of stuff we pulled off the truck!

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
what in the world no one has commented? Nice job you guys?
I for one am very excited about the change! I cant wait to get out their and dominate the pack!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
Right on man!!! We race Best in The Desert its a great series. They have alot of entries in class 7200. In fact a buddy i went to high school with 20 years ago, lives around the corner from me now is actually on the camburg team. They build some great products i'm sure you will be happy with them. Good luck on your transformation and hope to see ya out there soon :beerchug:
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

TURBO

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 65475
  • Male Posts: 706
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Capt. Insaino shows no mercy
    • View Profile

what is this????? leftovers? I want!!! I WANT!!!!!

nice... every time i see pics from you guys i want to build a truck like this!
MY BUILDS: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76463.0 :woohoo:

More than tread lightly, leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
I AM :screwy:!!!

"These dusty roads ain't streets of gold
But I'm a happy right where I'm at"

Marlin is like the Chuck Norris of the rock crawling world. 

boosten22re

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
Looking good guys. I would suggest using delrin for the bushing on the lower arm. I currently run a reverse strut configuration on my truck. What did camburg tell you to expect out of this kit for travel?

Gregg

howyadoin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Have fun with those Mason trucks. :idea:
"Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers"

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Damn, this should be badass.  :bowdown:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Just an update:
We have been super busy working our 2nd jobs this summer and have not been able to work on the truck but we hope to be back at it in a month or so to get busy on it.  When we start back up we will post some updates!

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile

toytank

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Sep '06
  • ROCKSOLIDMOTORSPORTS
    • View Profile
i will have to stop by sometime  and check it out looks good. i do have a question though you know that im a crawler rather than a racer but i noticed that your upper arm looked like it was going to have a bushing on the front and a heim on the back why not two heims is that to take up any slack the joint might have or just strength?
old and sqeaky but she goes

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Mounting the arms and starting to see how the new front glass is going to fit!

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:06:14 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
A few more of the front glass. Also if you notice all the Fox boxes under the rear of the truck we bought 2.5" coil overs all the way around, 3" triple bypass' for the front, and 3.5" 5 tube bypass' for the rear!

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:34:52 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
 As for the back of the truck we were going to leave the frame at first but decided to cut the back half off to accommodate some of our ideas in this build. We are going to keep the 4cyl for now since it has proven to be a reliable engine that is stronger than most stock 6cyl's and we have a plan or two to give it a couple extra ponies! In the rear of the truck we have been running a 22 gal fuel cell that gets us pretty far with the 10mpg that we get at some of the races. We are putting in a 32 gal cell though and moving it up to behind the cab so the difference in weight from full to empty has a little less effect on the overall balance of the truck. The rear will be linked with a 2.5" coil over and a 3.5" 5 tube bypass for tune ability! I'm not saying that we are PPI or Ivan Stewart but we are trying to employ some of their thoughts (I think) into what we are trying to accomplish with this truck. You don't have to have the most HP to get it done, its power to weight ratio's, and the lighter you are the less wear and tear on the equipment!

Here are the links from Camburg!

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:34:11 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
So here are a couple shots with all the arms on the truck. Also a couple wit the beginnings of mocking up for the shock placement. When it comes to shock placement there are obviously two schools of thought on it. Some we talk to swear by mounting them inner and outer to get the best ability to adjust the bypass and some say put them side by side! We found we had better room on the arms we have to mount them inner and outer. If we put them side by side they were so far up the lower arm we would only get 6.5 or so inches of shaft travel on the shocks. When we put them inner and outer we are getting 7.5" on the coilover and about 10.5" on the bypass. I see a lot of Class 1 cars this way and they seem to do pretty well so I'm sure we will get it worked out in testing! There is also a couple pictures of the rear lower mount we are working on as well. It wraps around the frame as much as possible, then goes down to where the arm bolts through it, and then goes past the pivot point to where we are putting a bolt on cross member that I will show you in the next post.

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:32:36 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Here are a couple shots of the cross member we are working on and the dash we also got from Perry's Fab'n Fiber. Sorry for cutting it in half Perry, but we thought it would be a better idea than loosing the ends of the dash. So we cut it and glassed it back together just a little shorter now and fits snug between out cage work that is already in place!

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:30:57 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Oh yeah, if you ever race Baja and or get your truck into water and the elements you might want to look under your dash more often than we did!

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:30:15 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Here are some shots of the shock mock up process for us. We used the bolt on positions that were welded to the original cage and bolted on some scrap metal and welded up some more scrap until we got the shocks were they would clear everything and almost touch the rubber stop on the bottom of the shocks at bottom-out. In this process we had to take some metal off of the upper arm gusset on the inside to clear everything. We talked to Fox and they sent us a mock-up for the 3" bypass shock so we could tack on the bypass tubes where we need them. I showed the pictures to Todd at Fox and he was able to get us even more room by moving them around a bit different than in these pictures.

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:29:48 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Here are a couple more pictures of the mock-up.

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:27:13 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
So after we got the shock location "in space" with the mock up. We took some 3/4" 120 wall DOM and cut them at the same length the shocks are wide were they mount. We bolted them in the same spots the shocks go and got some more scrap metal and welded the tubing in place in the mock-up mounts. We were then able to remove the mock-up mounts and cut the old cross member off and out of the way for the new shock mounts to be built.

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:25:18 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
The beginnings of the new shock mounts.

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:23:59 AM by BigMike »

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Here are a few more.

Jason

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 08:25:46 AM by BigMike »

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
MAN that is AWESOME!!

I downsized your images for better viewability :thumbs: Hope ya don't mind :gap: I just used [img witdh=xxx height=xxx] code like this:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=104548&d=1305600628[/img]

Code: [Select]
[img width=800 height=600]http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=104548&d=1305600628[/img]

The forum limits sizes to 800 pixels wide and 800 pixels tall when using this code. So for instance your vertical images sized out to 597 for the width and 800 for the height.

:beerchug: KEEP THE PICS COMING BROTHERS!!! :beerchug:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

FireGuysRacing [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77