Author Topic: Treadwright Guard Dog Review: Go small or go home! MOUNTED UP 31" retreads!  (Read 32934 times)

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: Go small or go home! MOUNTED UP 31" retreads!
« Reply #60 on: Apr 09, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
So I got my TWs mounted up and put on over the weekend-AWESOME!!!  I'm still wheeling with open diffs and they kick butt!  What pressure do you run?  I had the tire guys put 65 in them since that's whats on the sidewall and I'll probably make sure they're aired up for hauling, but I'm wondering about treadwear-seems like 65 might be a lot for running around unloaded?  Can't wait to see what they can do aired down to 15 or so in the mud. 

they are retreads, i would disregaurd what the sidewall say buddy.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Apr 09, 2012, 09:17:10 PM »
I had the tire guys put 65 in them since that's whats on the sidewall

This is not shame on you, but shame on the guys at that shop for not knowing better!  The psi on the sidewall is a MAX allowable pressure and is rarely the pressure at which the tires should be run.  The only tires that should always be run at max pressure are trailer tires, which are designed to run at max pressure and will actually internally break down after overheating if run low. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Apr 09, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »
they are retreads, i would disregaurd what the sidewall say buddy.

Seriously?  You are basing this on what? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
These things are getting down to the end, almost down to the wear bars. Over 40K. Still working great and maybe even better in the deep snow than they were with full tread.  Possibly because they don't dig as much?  I plan to buy another set, they just came out with a full bead to bead sidewall wrap complete with Treadwright's own lettering so they will be even better with more rubber.

Check out the press release:

https://treadwright.com/TreadWright_Launches_Bead-to-Bead_Tire.pdf

Here is another wheeling pic from earlier this year...

“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,846
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Just got 1 of these for a spare for my tow rig. Looks like excellent quality and a good price. Still gotta get it mounted.....
Time to go wheelin!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
These things are getting down to the end, almost down to the wear bars. Over 40K. Still working great and maybe even better in the deep snow than they were with full tread.  Possibly because they don't dig as much?  I plan to buy another set, they just came out with a full bead to bead sidewall wrap complete with Treadwright's own lettering so they will be even better with more rubber.

Not to bring up a thread from the dead, but I had this happen today at work and thought it worth mentioning.

A customer came in at closing and asked for my opinion on his tires.  You could tell by his demeanor that something wasn't right, so we went out and looked.  As I went out the front door I could tell he had treadwrights on, and when I got up to his left rear I saw a flap of rubber sticking out of the bead area.  My instinct was to say it was fine, but as I got down closer and looked it almost appeared that they'd attempted to add an extra layer or rubber to the bead area of the tire and it had worked it's way out as he drove.

We were able to see where the little bit of normal extra rubber from the mold was, and this wasn't at the same point.  It was working it's way out from between the tire and wheel.  Being a retread I couldn't work on it, so I cannot say for sure if it was just a little extra rubber from the mold or a botched factory "repair", but it was awful thick and went for quite a ways around the tire.  I am hoping he returns next week to let me know if he found a shop that could dismount the tire and see what was wrong  :crossed:
RIP KYOTA

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Nate!!!  Wheres the pics man?  Lol

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Late (it was after closing and we still had 3 cars left to work on) and I don't have a smart phone and don't carry my camera with me.  These were the model with bfg ko tread design that actually say treadwright on the sidewalls.
RIP KYOTA

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
The combination of higher pricing and several guys I know having more bad experiences made me go another way.  I think they changed their manufacturing location which may have had something to do with it.  Not really fair for me to say at this point though since I am not running them.  The set I had was certainly good for me.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
So I was reminded the other day that this thread kind of fizzled out. 

To sum up my experience with these...

Were they good tires?  Yes.

Did I have any retread related problems?  No

Would I recommend them?  Yes.

The main reason I did not buy another set was simply because I found some brand new mud tires cheaper than treadwrights when I needed tires.  As good as the treadwrights were, they are still going to have to be competitive on their price point in order for me to by retreads vs. new tires.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Thinking about running another set after reading my review...
– Steve McQueen

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Thinking about running another set after reading my review...

They're good. Finally running mine again

That pic kinda makes me realize that the camper shell was totally fitting with the polished rims and dinky 29 highway tires, but it would look soooo much cooler with the top off and those 31s. I like having the lockable storage space though.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2018, 07:25:09 PM by 300k »
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Shell looks like poop, you should just give it to me. :gap:

A guy came in with his own “new” tires the other day, but they were taking a ton of weight and didn’t run close to round.  The tech was voicing his frustration as I walked by, I glanced at it and remarked it was a retread, which we’re not supposed to install.  The other tech said they figured that out after they had already mounted them, so I took it as a training tool to show them how to tell difference.

Bottom line:  every treadwight we’ve seen has been egg shaped and taken far too much weight to balance.  Buyer beware. :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Bottom line:  every treadwight we’ve seen has been egg shaped and taken far too much weight to balance.  Buyer beware. :dunno:

I've been running those at 65-70 without even a steering wheel vibration. Track great, roll smooth, and overall a good tire IMO. Granted those were ordered over two years ago so stuff may have changed.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
There’s a bit of inconsistency in the tires and you now have no way of knowing how old the carcasses they use are since they overmould the original dot codes.  They were pretty consistently using bfg at carcasses in years past but, now you have no idea the quality of the carcass they use.

In a lot of their sizes I can get new tires for virtually the same price l, sometimes even cheaper.  Never hurts to check with local shops to see what they can get.

That said, you never know if you’re getting a wanlee retread at a higher price than a wanlee  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA