Author Topic: Treadwright Guard Dog Review: Go small or go home! MOUNTED UP 31" retreads!  (Read 32880 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Go small or go home! MOUNTED UP 31" retreads!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »
Like you want to be driving a bike in the winter anyway...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Stocker

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
Did I mention you can get these with crushed glass or walnut shell in the tread too  :headscratch:
The bike tires? Now that seems weird...

As to automotive tires, I haven't heard of that in years. Actually, never heard of crushed glass, but when I was a kid in the PNW, crushed walnut shells were commonly used in snow tire recaps for improved winter traction. From what I remember hearing, they worked well but didn't last too long. Of course in the Fifties, I don't think any recaps lasted very long!
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »
I'll ride any month of the year, just have to tighten up my riding style a bit in the colder months. 

Honestly, if I could get a set of rain race tires with crushed glass or walnut shell for the bike, I'd rock em!  But it's the tires like you bought that can be had with the traction aids.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
OK so I got out in some decent snow while getting firewood this weekend.  We had a 12 inch sugar snow base with about 15 inches of fresh powder on top.  These things work uncommonly good in the snow.  I didn't even air down, it was crazy.  They are small, 31s, it didn't make any sense.  These things work better than my 34" swampers aired down to 4 psi! Better even than BF all terrains, which have been one of my all time snow favorites.  I don't know if it's the compound or the tread design, or a combination of the two.  The make more forward progress than they dig down. The tread seems to capture and hold onto alot of snow. I can't wait to get them into some really crappy snow and see how they do aired down.

They were even firmly stuck to the 50 miles of icy roads on the way there despite being mud terrains.

I've ran alot of different mud and all terrain tires over the last 20 years and so far these rate way up there for snow.

I'm thinking the 37s with the tread additives would be the mondo-ice crawling tire of all time...

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=18528&c=14
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2011, 09:47:12 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

1slowhatch

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:25:43 PM »
good to know. I need a set of new tires and have been eying these retreads.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:18:02 AM »
We went out for more wood last weekend and the snow was less than ideal.  Kind of half packed rotten snow since it got up in the 40s then and cooled down to the single didgits again while snowing off and on in between.  We scoped out some dead standing beatle kill trees at a camp site.  They had run a plow up the road since last time so there was about a 5 foot snow bank with about 30" of standing snow on the other side where we wanted to be.  I nudged up into the snow bank 2 or 3 times with the front end to make a hole and then went banzai over what was left of the burm.  Once into the standing snow I was able to wheel right into the spot with no dificulty in second low.  The tires sunk in about 6 inches and made good forward momentum.  Again, I was not even aired down since we were hauling wood home and these are only 31s.  We wheeled around in there and even yarded a log out to the main road where we transfered wood to a full sized.  Some guys driving by in a couple of dodge 3/4 tons loaded up with poles stoped and got out with jaws droped and asked how the heck we got back there...  They had to go up higher to find something closer to the main plowed road.

So in summary winter wheeling performance continues to be top notch.
– Steve McQueen

scoutrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Mar 26, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »
I have had mine for almost a year with no issues. I have the same ones you got and they work very well.  Great traction in the snow too, a friend had some 33 bfg mts and had to airdown to like 8 psi. i was at 15 and had no problems with traction.  Also these are not recaps. there is a different process between the 2.

83yota5960

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 551
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Mar 27, 2011, 02:25:06 AM »
keep us posted how these do, will be buying tires soon and might look into these. where did you go to buy these,website?
83 short bed yota 35's 5.29's 4.7 f-150's arb front aussie locker rear high steer ifs rear axle
83 short bed yota 31 a/t mild lift welded ifs rear axle
99 audi A4 as my new daily driver.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Mar 27, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
I got to do some heavier snow wheeling the other day and had them at about 13 psi, mainly because of the small size I have been reluctant to air down as far as ussual...  They did as well as other tires I've had at 5 psi.  I did have to winch but it was in a 4 foot slush drift so I can't complain about that.  The rest of the run was on 24-36 inches of "corn" snow, kind of packed and settled but lousey in general.  Lots of off camber slick drifted in trail and they tracked really well with excellent lateral hold and forward motion the whole time.  

What is odd about these tires is that they do really well even without extremely low preasure, which makes them a good choice for a "work truck" where you typically have smaller tires and might need to haul loads in and out of wheeling spots and then hit the higher speed roads.

Another thing is that there has been no "chunking" of the tread.  I run a welded rear and we have alot of nasty sharp chip seal here so I usually get alot of that in the rear with other tires just driving around town.  I have even tried to spin out on sharp stuff on the trail that would typically cut and chunk treads but still no damage.

I bought these directly from treadwright over the phone.  They have a pretty extensive website if you search you will find it.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2011, 10:05:14 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Mar 27, 2011, 11:41:01 PM »
I am interested in how many miles you get out of them. Looking at them for a DD
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 20, 2011, 09:57:13 AM »
Update...  So far I have about 10,000 miles on these and they are at about 80% tread depth.

Had them on several long road trips with no issues.  Even drove them in a bunch of prickly pear cactus county that usually causes nasty unfixable slow leaks, no issues at all.  Wearing nice and flat, no cupping or uneven wear. They are staying nice and cool on the road even with our recent hot weather.

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2011, 10:03:33 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

dot 1

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jul 20, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »
nice, i was watching this thread a while ago and was just wondering how they were doing the other day. picking up an 85 runner in great shape next week for 1,000 bucks for a dd , and i am totaly putting these on it while i finally build my 81. these should do very well in nw. montana,thanks for the update.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 21, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »
You'll love them in the snow over there.  I'm over on the other side of the mountains from you near Great Falls and they were just awsome in the snow last winter.

Good find on the '85!
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
I now have about 20,000 miles on these tires and they are at a little over 50% tread depth, I would estiimate about 55%.  None have exploded or had any defects of any kind. Miles have been alot of highway and a ton of chunky gravel farm roads for work with daily wheeling in mud, ice and wood lot debris while hauling hay to feed animals.  Every other week or so I get to do some legitimate wheeling either for fun or firewood hauling from the mountains.  These tires have been used and abused, scuffed in ruts and on rocks and stumps, aired up and down.  They are still not chunking, are extremely cut resistant and are wearing nice and flat with little more road noise than when they were new. I'm trying to be as objective as possible and beating the crap out of these things every chance I get, purposely snagging sharp things on the trail when ever I can.  Heck, I even run a welded rear around town and I'm still getting great treadwear. None of mine have exploded, distorted or killed anyone. These are not your father's retreads... ;)

This Monday a buddy and I took a little expedition to check out an area of national forest about 100 miles south east of here with alot of legal 4x4 trails.  The trails were relatively mild but steep, covered in ice and 12-18" of snow at the higher elevations.  These tires even at 55% tread still work as well in the snow at the day I mounted them up.  The are still extremely sticky on wet rocks as well.

Based on my experiences so far I would recommend these to anyone as long as you aren't squimish of running retreads. The Treadwrights have far exceeded my expectations of milage and performance on and off road. These are actually some of the best all around tires I've had on a 4x4.

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2012, 06:32:13 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
Pic of tread depth at 20,000 miles...

:biggthumpup:
– Steve McQueen

spc mike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »
Good to hear those are still working great! I had the Treadwright  33 inch all terrain version and they were awesome for an A/T tread design!I since Sold them for some 35's but i had around 9,000 miles on them and they were perfect. I would agree these are not your Grandfather's retreads!

Here's mine..

..and "scoutrunner" above mentioned he was happy with his too, so here's a pic of his rig on the way up to bald mountain...He has the same exact tires you have..he comfortably airs his tires down every time we hit the trail.

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2012, 12:52:37 PM by spc mike »

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
25,000 miles and counting...
 Still great on icy roads.

Photo taken yesterday near Babb, Montana on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation on the back side of Glacier National Park.  I had to go inspect a remote, snowed in home up there for work.

– Steve McQueen

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »
so updates? I'm really thinking about buying these for my 4runner soon
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »
i dont like retreads they scare ,me

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Mar 02, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »
i dont like retreads they scare ,me

thats for you, we did not ask you to open your mouth. If you read what he has wrote he loves the tires. and he also said if you have negitive things to say don't.
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Mar 02, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »
thats for you, we did not ask you to open your mouth. If you read what he has wrote he loves the tires. and he also said if you have negitive things to say don't.
I didn't open my mouth I typed it? But anyways good for him I just don't like thrm

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
Yep still happy and no problems. Hack on them nearly every weekend and drive the heck out of them on long highway work trips. No new pics since the last ones but I'll try to get some up this next week.

And hey it's OK to be scared of them, lots of people are but so far I've had no problems and nothing but good out of these tires. That being said if I was younger and had vast disposable income I probably wouldn't have looked into them in the first place.  I had the same stigma with retreads as everybody else.  Now that I have ran them though I would have a hard time justifying buying anything else unless it was something more specialized super nasty like a swamper or a pit bull rocker. For daily drive, snow and all around wheeling though these are as good as anything I've ever ran, lasting longer and a very reasonble price.

Like I said before if I have anything bad happen with these I will post it up as well but so far I have nothing bad to post...

OK here are a couple new pics.  At the time of these photos I have about 28,000 miles, maybe even a bit more on these. I have rotated them very regularly but I have a welded rear too so I'm always spinning one or draging one in turns. Still over 50% tread depth I would say... There is  wear bar in the center lugs that is about 1/4 inch away at this amount of tread wear.  At this point I would expect to put 35K to 40K on these by fall and buy another set before the snow flies next winter. I will continue to post pics every 5K miles or so.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2012, 10:16:00 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Badfish740

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Mar 15, 2012, 06:15:05 AM »
LOVING this review-best thread on Treadwrights I've ever seen!  I got diverted here after starting a thread on Treadwrights over at Pirate4x4 that inevitably is heading toward a ****ing match, but someone was kind enough to link to this thread.  I found out about Treadwrights about a year ago and came at them with an open mind despite the retread stigma.  However, I could never really find a decent "real world" review.  I live in the Northeast so snow performance was a concern for me-I was debating between the Backbones (more of a dedicated MT tread) and the Guard Dogs.  You sold me on the Guard Dogs and then some!  I was considering buying them with the Kedge Grip (ground glass and walnut shell additive), but I've heard that the one side effect of that is that they wear faster.  Since your tires seem to be doing so well without it I think I'll skip it in order to get the most life out of the tires.  I'm looking at a set of 285/75/16s for my bone stock '91 Pickup.  I'm building it for similar purposes to what you use your truck for-I will do some wheeling with it, but will be mainly using it to get into tight spots to cut firewood, hunt, etc...  I'll be sure to post my impressions once I get mine. 

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
Better hurry or be patient, they're dropping some sizes and production of others seems to have some lag while they wait for good quality carcasses to use.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Badfish740

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:30:28 AM »
Better hurry or be patient, they're dropping some sizes and production of others seems to have some lag while they wait for good quality carcasses to use.

I did notice that-the 15" tires it seems like they're phasing out completely, but the popular 16" sizes all seem to be backordered-I'm going to get my order in now and hope that they come in by next month.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2012, 10:54:35 AM »
Thanks I'm glad you like the thread.  I'm trying really hard to go long term with this review to make sure I'm objective and get past the "these are awsome just because I bought them" phase that we all have when we try a set of tires.  I feel I'm definately past that at this milage. I think that's what has shocked me the most is just how much life I'm getting out of these things.  I kind of expected them to be good traction and all but hey really last a good long time as well.
– Steve McQueen

Badfish740

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Mar 19, 2012, 05:10:25 PM »
Thanks I'm glad you like the thread.  I'm trying really hard to go long term with this review to make sure I'm objective and get past the "these are awsome just because I bought them" phase that we all have when we try a set of tires.  I feel I'm definately past that at this milage. I think that's what has shocked me the most is just how much life I'm getting out of these things.  I kind of expected them to be good traction and all but hey really last a good long time as well.

Just got off the phone with Treadwright-I have a set of 265/75/16 Guard Dogs headed my way!  I have to say-since you mentioned how well they're doing with the welded rear and the tar and chip roads I'm seriously considering welding mine as well!  It's not a DD so I think it's the way to go.  I'll be sure to post my impressions once they arrive.

Badfish740

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Apr 09, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
So I got my TWs mounted up and put on over the weekend-AWESOME!!!  I'm still wheeling with open diffs and they kick butt!  What pressure do you run?  I had the tire guys put 65 in them since that's whats on the sidewall and I'll probably make sure they're aired up for hauling, but I'm wondering about treadwear-seems like 65 might be a lot for running around unloaded?  Can't wait to see what they can do aired down to 15 or so in the mud. 

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Apr 09, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »
65 is like WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much. try more like 25-30,
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Apr 09, 2012, 07:19:10 PM »
I run mine at about 35 for long highway and 28 to 30 for all around.  I air down to about 10psi for wheeling, 12-13 for higher speed fireroading and such.
– Steve McQueen