Author Topic: Engine Block Warped! True Story! 3rd Gen 4cyl 3RZ 4runner 1998  (Read 7912 times)

bpechtim

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
 :(
Very sad story. Apparently not all Toyota's are "bullet proof."
My friends are shocked. I really loved this 4runner and want to keep it.
I bought a 98 4Runner 2.7L with 96k.
I replaced oil and coolant regularly.
Ran great for for 25k then blew head gasket.
Mechanic found that engine block (not head), yes the cast iron engine block, was warped at the number 1 cylinder where the gasket blew!!! Specs are 2000th but this was at 7000th. Engine is doomed. Coolant still leaks into engine and exhaust after machining head and new gasket.

I was able to limp home to my garage with it.

Now I need a new engine. So 2 questions:

1. Where/how is the best place to get and rebuild a new engine? Craigslist, junkyard?

2. How hard is it to put in a 2.7L in a 4runner. Can I install from underneath? Or must use a crane. Any documentation on this? I couldnt find anything.

Thanks,

Brad

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Why can't you surface the block?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
deck the block....  if the block is warped why would you machine the head ? lol.. resurface sure but yea.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

bpechtim [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
Well the mechanic did not check the block before machining the heads.
Big mistake. Actually he made problem worse. At least he admitted mistake.

Didn't know of machining top of cast iron block. Yeah why not I guess. Thanks, I'll look into that.

On pulling a 3rz out of a 3rd generation 4runner, wondering if doable by underneath or must use crane and yank trans with engine from top?

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
It's not a mid 90s camaro, why on earth would you want to go out the bottom? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
pulling the 3rz is like pulling any other motor, weather its a 20r 0r a 3.0, its basicly the same.

bpechtim [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
Ok thanks for the comments.

I've pulled engines before 3 times - lonnnnng ago -- 68 Mustang 289, 67 Chevy truck 6banger, and lastly from underneath a VW bug (ok that doesnt count).

Someone suggested pulling the 3RZ *with* trans attached. Good idea?

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Why would you pull the trans when the motor is the problem???
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Its easy. Maybe put a 2" body lift on it while your pulling the motor it makes things way easy. Then remove it when your done. I would not take the trans out with it.
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

bpechtim [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
The original problem was intermittent overheating.

Bought car at 96k and ran SUPER no issues til 124k.
I changed the coolant once around 110k. I live in SoCal.

Then i noticed coolant missing. Noticed white smoke at start. Car ran rough at start then white smoke went away after 10-15min.

Engine would get hot but not stay at overheated really. Would cycle back down or bounce around.

Took to dealer who said head gasket and recommended machining heads. When they got heads back, they called me and said warped block at same spot as gasket on #1 cylinder. specs are ok if .002 but this was .007 per shop. Dealer said coolant found in exhaust and engine.

Put engine back together. Dealer charged me $570 and I drove it home since they wanted $5k to put new engine in. Now it's worse. Appears exhaust is venting back into cooling system. Probably due to machining of head.

Really really really sucks since I love this 4runner. I want to put a new engine in if I can keep the wife off my back. Luckily I have a small motorcycle for transpo and live in SoCal.

Seems the best option from all the advice is just pull the motor and replace with something running from a Junk yard.

Cost in this area looks around $1k for 2.7L out of wrecked 4runner. They made these engines from 96 - 02 in tacoma's and 4runners. 98 and after they used the 2 ignition coils for the 3RZ. I will have to check junk yards from Mexico to LA. I just missed one last week.

Im not quitting on this 4runner just yet! (even if my wife has).

Thanks all for the comments.

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
my 97 has the 2 coils. I also had a head gasket just go out for no reason, didnt even overheat at all, just noticed the stumbling in the morning then one day it hydro locked on me, changed the gasket, been about 12k since and havent had a problem with it.

you can find the motor cheaper if you only need the long block, usually I see them costing more with the harness and all the accesories.

good luck with the swap, should be pretty straight forward

bpechtim [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
Found a Tacoma 2.7L 3RZ 2005 and 2007 (came from manual 5 speed). Was wondering if that would work in my 98 4Runner Auto with a wrapped block 2.7L. Would I be correct to assume that if I strip from newer engine everything, including electronics, leaving just block and heads, then add on the older manifold and parts from 98 4Runner this would fix in no problem? Thanks for any input or comments on this. Still not giving up. :)

toyotech

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 509
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
last time i checked. 05+ tacos had 2TR

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Found a Tacoma 2.7L 3RZ 2005 and 2007 (came from manual 5 speed). Was wondering if that would work in my 98 4Runner Auto with a wrapped block 2.7L. Would I be correct to assume that if I strip from newer engine everything, including electronics, leaving just block and heads, then add on the older manifold and parts from 98 4Runner this would fix in no problem? Thanks for any input or comments on this. Still not giving up. :)
dude,
1st. find a machine shop
2nd.  pull engine
3rd.   take engine to machine shop
4th. have them mill the dang block
5th.  re install engine and run for the next 200,000 miles and be done with it.

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

bpechtim [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
Guess that's why I'm posting on the noob thread. :)

Yeah you're right. 2.7L but wrong one. Not 3RZ-FE which I need, but other 2.7 L 2TR-FE I4 (159 hp)

These are 3RZ-FE I need:
    1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    1996-2000 Toyota 4Runner
    1994-1998 Toyota T100

Alright, guess I'm gonna try the mill block suggestion. Here's a good question before I leap to that method. Isn't there a point of no return? A limit on how much you can take off head and block? Head was just machined. I drove it home so it might need to be machined again. The dealer said the warped block at same spot as gasket on #1 cylinder was above tolerance at .007. Will that mess with the timing chain tension or cylinder compression? Follow what I'm saying? Or is this like no big deal to worry about.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Guess that's why I'm posting on the noob thread. :)

Yeah you're right. 2.7L but wrong one. Not 3RZ-FE which I need, but other 2.7 L 2TR-FE I4 (159 hp)

These are 3RZ-FE I need:
    1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    1996-2000 Toyota 4Runner
    1994-1998 Toyota T100

Alright, guess I'm gonna try the mill block suggestion. Here's a good question before I leap to that method. Isn't there a point of no return? A limit on how much you can take off head and block? Head was just machined. I drove it home so it might need to be machined again. The dealer said the warped block at same spot as gasket on #1 cylinder was above tolerance at .007. Will that mess with the timing chain tension or cylinder compression? Follow what I'm saying? Or is this like no big deal to worry about.
any good machine shop will know how to manage that and yes its a "big deal"  but usually they only mill enough off to make it smooth and square again.

in a "worst case scenario" the machine shop will order a "shim head gasket" these are head gaskets with a copper shim sandwiched between all the steel and graphite layers of the head gasket to "fix" situations like yours.  but if they only took say .004 thousands inch off the head and .006 off the block you wouldn't loose enough to effect the timing chain geometry or compression enough to worry about.

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
if you have any questions just let me know. Ive rebuilt many engines that are still running today.