Author Topic: Bellfields or Longs?  (Read 8202 times)

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Bellfields or Longs?
« on: Jan 02, 2005, 05:57:03 PM »
Who's run 'em, and which are strongest?  I run 37" MTR's, dual 2.28 cases and lockers front and rear.  I'm on my original stock birfs now and have never had a problem, but am preparing for the worst.   I have a set of All-Poo Poofields out in the garage that I've never installed because I heard they were really weak.  I got them as a gift, and of course All-Poo won't take them in exchange for anything...

Your experience and suggestions are well appreciated!
Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16415
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Bellfields or Longs?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2005, 06:09:55 PM »
reklund

i run longs. i got them when bobby 1st got popular. they are the old design...welded ring and cryolgenticly(sp?) treated. they work great for me.

i can not comment on marlin's...but all the componets that i do run from him are top-notch. why would this be any diffrent.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :usa: :turtle:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »
i think marlin was taking allpoos birfs as exchange or something :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2005, 06:27:44 PM »
maybe just for paperweights  :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2005, 06:34:08 PM »
They won't exchange the Poofields for another product? They are new and never installed right? If that's true, their customer service is dropping to new lows :smack:

Our return policy allows for the exchange of any currently sold product as long as it is in like new condition.

I bet if you post up your desire to exchange your item on Pirate4x4 they will see it and after enough people complain about the return policy they will be forced to change it.

As for the question. The Bellfields and Longfields are both quality products that will stand up to much more abuse than the stock birfs.

reklund5 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2005, 09:25:59 PM »
Chris-

Yes, they are still in the plastic they came in.  I carried them once as trail spares just in case.  I assumed from reading their exchange poilcy that they wouldn't exchange them because I don't have a receipt and I've had them for almost a year...

I'd gladly submit them to Bobby Long for testing against his and/or the Bellfields in exchange for some sort of credit towards some that have a better reputation.

I appreciate the reply Chris- I know you're busy running a GREAT business now!

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2005, 09:59:52 PM »
I know for a fact that they can look up your order. All you need is the name of the person that ordered it and the zip code it was sent to. If they are still using the database that I wrote for them, it takes only seconds for it to pull up the order.

As for testing, I have a good idea of just how strong they are. When I was working there I personally sent the first unit out for testing in AZ to Larry Zagger. He reported back that it failed before arriving at the place that he planned to test it and that it was far weaker than stock. I assumed from this result that the plans were going to stop right there. I was shocked when Mike told me later that they were moving forward with plans to sell these. Mike did say they were make changes to the heat treating, but no changes to the smaller than stock inner cage. No amount of playing with the heat treat will compinsate for the huge loss of material in the inner race. This was just a few weeks after leaving there that I found this out.

Later Dan Bell did some testing of Birfields on his twisting machine and found that the Poofields were weaker than all other after market joints. In fact they fail far before stock used joints.  Bobby Long also came up with the same results finding the Poofields inferior to stock units.

If it was something we could sell, I would like to help you out, but knowbody that has read the results of these joints on the internet would touch them with a 10' poll.

Call them up and see if they are man enough to stand up and make it right. The statments they make on their web site about the Poofield being the strongest joint on the market is a pack of lies.

reklund5 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2005, 11:05:20 PM »
I'm off work tomorrow, so maybe I'll give them a call. Maybe I could talk them out of a transfercase ebrake or something :crossed:

I have to say that if Marlin was selling springs when I built my truck (and the other 3 or 4 I've built for friends) I would have used Marlins kit based solely on customer service.  Everytime I've needed anything from Marlin, it arrives on time and exactly as ordered.  Several times with AP they've lost or f'ed up my order.  My mom even ordered stuff from Marlin for me for Christmas (Yes my mom still buys me toys for Christmas...and I'm 24) and went on and on about how helpful you all were.  Chris, you should be proud of the company you work for and for what you've done.  I for one respect you for disassociating yourself from the AP organization.  :_order:

I'll let you know what they say...

Ryan

reklund5 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2005, 04:36:48 PM »
I talked to All-Pro today, and they said they'd be happy to exchange my PooFields for store credit.  I thought that was pretty decent customer service, considering I got them as a gift, and they were originally purchased almost a year ago.  I just need to decide what I want....

Will the AP Tcase ebrake work with the MC dual tcase crossmemeber?

Ryan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2005, 04:03:50 PM »
it should, :dunno:

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:56:18 PM »
I talked to All-Pro today, and they said they'd be happy to exchange my PooFields for store credit.  I thought that was pretty decent customer service, considering I got them as a gift, and they were originally purchased almost a year ago.  I just need to decide what I want....

Will the AP Tcase ebrake work with the MC dual tcase crossmemeber?

Ryan

Well that's much better!

Yes the parking brake will work with our crossmember, no problem.

reklund5 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:02:45 PM »
Thanks Chris!

Ryan

tbam

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Sarcastic Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2005, 12:48:59 AM »
I got my 30 splines,   mmmmmm-beefy