Author Topic: Sky Man. front wheel spacer kit  (Read 27074 times)

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
Re: Sky Man. front wheel spacer kit
« Reply #30 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:45:03 PM »
I don't know what year rotor you need but I am pretty sure it is any FJ60 or FJ62 rotor. I also have done the IFS hub swap after a lot of research and testing to make sure I could do it without grinding on the caliper or welding a nut to the caliper. here is what I have done.

tools

sockets

10mm open end wrench
10 mm 3/8" drive
12 mm 3/8" drive
14 mm 1/2" drive
19 mm 1/2" drive
2 1/8"  for wheel bearing nuts

ratchets

3/8"
1/2"

1/2" tap fine thread

drill

drill bits

5/16"
7/16"
1/2"

hammer
punch
felt pen

parts

any IFS hubs 86 to 95 with rotor mounting bolts and knew seals
fj60 or 62 rotors
ifs calipers 86 to 95
new brake pads

4 2x1/2" fine thread grade 8 bolts and lock washers same thread pitch as tap

toyota FIPG or ultra black silicone

Directions
DO NOT DRILL OUT THE CALIPER!
DO NOT GRIND THE CALIPER!

you need to drill the IFS rotor fixing bolt pattern into the fj rotors I have a buddy at a metal shop help me lay out the pionts to drill on the rotor and then we drilled the holes. It is easy to drill the cast iron and you don't need to lube your bit because of the carbon in the metal
bolt the fj rotors to the ifs hubs and change the seals if you want I did since I was there.And grease the wheel bearings.

Now that the rotor and hub is ready remove all your solid axle :pokinit: from the knuckle except for the steering arms and birfields

take your dust shield drill and 5/16" bit and look for the pinch welds between the spindle holes and drill the untill the spacer comes free about 1/16" thick piece of steel is welded onto the dust shield with the spindle bolt pattern you need that thin spacer. there was only 2 welds per dust shield on mine throw out your dust shield and keep the thin spacers. Now put some black silicone on the knuckle and the spindle 1 per side like they came off, take the thin spacer line up the bolt patter and stick it to the knuckle then stick the spindle the knucle and bolt it in place.Now you are ready to mount the ifs hub and fj rotor.

Now take your 1/2" bit and drill out the threads on the knuckle for mounting the calipers make sure you drill the straight if you look you will see that you are drilling out a little more material than just the threads, poke your 1/2' bolts threw to make sure they fit.

Now get your 1/2" tap and start taping threads into the caliper.It is easy and doesn't take long take your time and make sure it is straight and the tap will guide it's self in the hole. The 1/2" tap is bigger than the 12mm hole and alows you to just cut threads. I lubed the tap with oil to make it easier. Also if the tap binds up back it out a half turn to clean it then start tapiping again. Now thread the 1/2" bolts in . Sweet they fit nice and tight now clean everything and get ready for reassembly.

mount the knew hubs and rotors tighten your wheel bearings mount your original locking hubs and know install brake pads. Mount the caliper on the other side of the ears on the knuckle tighten the 1/2' bolts and take for a test drive.

I don't have anything keeping my hard lines from vibrating at the caliper I am going to try and mount my flex lines directly on to the calipers but haven't had any problems, Other than hanging my rotor on a rock and scaring it a little. I drive to the trails and to work about 6,000 miles since the swap without problems.

I would post pics but i droped my camera in gear oil which kind of dicked it up. If you have questions IM me.

Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:01:10 PM »
i hate to bring up old topics , but i was curious how this setup has been holding up for those who have done it.

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
« Reply #32 on: Jul 13, 2008, 02:50:20 AM »
I have had mine like that fo years and have had no probems.. other than it wants to sling you through the windsheild when you have to stop quickly. I did however use 9/16" bolts.
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:54:36 PM »
I used 76 cruiser rotors which have the same offset as the later model cruiser rotors but they have a different bolt pattern to hold them to the hub.  I had to redrill the rotor "hat" to the tighter pattern of the 94 hubs.  If you use later model rotors they will bolt right on.
so are the early land cruiser rotors will bolt to the 95 hubs I have??  they have the 6 bolts in them just like my stock 79 rotors do??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2011, 07:07:53 AM »
Going off of memory you shouldn't have an issue if you use late 90's fj80 rotors Glen.  I had to drill the 6 bolt holes to retain the rotor and I'm thinking the 80's had the holes factory.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »
Going off of memory you shouldn't have an issue if you use late 90's fj80 rotors Glen.  I had to drill the 6 bolt holes to retain the rotor and I'm thinking the 80's had the holes factory.
well i searched and found the FJ80 rotors arent the right ones. :(

they are 45mm tall as laid on a table, what I'm looking for is a 65mm height which the T100 and 95 SR5 runner have but they are only 291mm in diameter and I want to find 302
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:59:42 AM »
So why do you want the taller hat rotors?  Are you doing this swap on a solid axle using sky's kit or??  I never liked sky's kit for a couple reasons.  One I'm not a fan of the spacer and two the smaller od ifs rotor leaves too much of the pad to do nothing.  You actually LOSE braking force when doing that swap.  If the brakes are better with the sky kit its because your brakes were worn out crap before.  The taco rotor swap is the same way, too little rotor/pad contact.  The fj or tundra swaps are the only true performance swaps out there.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
the taller hat in a 302mm diameter would work PERFECTLY, no brake pad left out in the air and I can get the spacer turned pretty cheap locally if its 1 inch or less.

If I cant find a disc with the taller hat I might as well use the sky spacer with the FJ60 rotor.  :(

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
Nice details on this mod, thanks

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:39:51 PM »
Why not just put a 40/60/62/80 rotor on and move the caliper on the knuckle like so many people have done before without issue?  I ran 38's and 42's and never once had any sort of issue at all.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
Why not just put a 40/60/62/80 rotor on and move the caliper on the knuckle like so many people have done before without issue?  I ran 38's and 42's and never once had any sort of issue at all.
I probably will but I have a week or so to do research before I can fund this little project.